Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It doesn't seem to be a good time to be an Apple user if you have low data download limits because updates keep coming thick and fast. Good for the rest of us though, because Apple are being very active in fixing bugs.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
If only I could be the tiniest bit optimistic that they've made any improvements to iTunes Match. Or they ever will in the year or two it limps along before they finally give up and kill it like MobileMe.

Does Spotify (or any other alternative app) support iTunes playlists and smart playlists, including ratings and play count/last played?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
What need is being met by syncing with iTunes the "old-fashioned" way.

Owners of iPod classics, nanos and shuffles would like to have a word with you. :D

But seriously, even if I had a touch, iPhone or iPad, I'd still sync my media locally. USB is still faster than Wi-Fi at this point, and I wouldn't want to use mobile bandwidth unnecessarily when I'm on the go. A dramatic increase in both Wi-Fi speed and mobile data caps (at the same/similar price points) might get me to reconsider this point, though.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
finally...

I had called Apple Support several times because of this issue. iTunes became stuck in a loop and wouldn't open, and then once it did all of my metadata was gone. Apple Support's solution: just don't use iTunes or use iPhoto (because apparently something was involved in that) until an iTunes update hit.

The Apple Support guy even randomly said to me: "It's just your music and photos, it can't be that much of an inconvenience, it's really not that big of a deal." :mad:

Let's just say this was the WORST Apple Support call I've had in a long time. I haven't been able to sync my iOS devices, use my ATV or use iTunes and iPhoto for a while now, but I was more surprised that the support guy was like, "Get over it."

I don't care about not being able to access my music or movies (that's very much a "first-world problem"). But what's more annoying is that the Apple Support guy bascially acted like iTunes is just a "music or photo" storage program, when it's clearly the crutch of most of Apple's services.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does Spotify (or any other alternative app) support iTunes playlists and smart playlists, including ratings and play count/last played?

From what I can see the answers are:

Playlists - You can make them in Spotify. They won't be copied from iTunes. There doesn't appear to be any way of making a smart playlist, but there's a playlist that contains all of your starred music.

Ratings - Not supported. You can mark songs as favorites in Spotify.

Play Count - Not supported.

Last Played - Not supported. Kind of related but maybe not what you're looking for: You can access your history by going to "Play Queue" and then clicking on the "History" tab at the top. I really like it for when I'm shuffling through songs while working, and then I'm not sure what the song I heard was but I liked it so I go to History to see what it was. (Because remember: Unlike iTunes, Spotify isn't limited to the few hundred or thousand songs you've handpicked and bought. It is hundreds of thousands of songs. Maybe you wanted it to pick something for you instead. So you could get something you really like that you've truly never heard before.)

Honestly, it's silly to not switch to Spotify on account of the lack of metadata. It's just music. The number of times you've played a song is a trivial point.

Edit: I should note that while you can't exactly save smart playlists, there are various "Apps" that can be used within Spotify which will create playlists for you. I particularly like "Moodagent", which lets me specify a song I know with a mood I want for a playlist. It'll then find a dozen or two other songs which it deems to have a similar mood.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Wirelessly posted

But does it fix missing artwork on iDevices through Match????

This. It still buggy. Plus it won't sync the music videos that weren't bought on the iTunes store which sucks.

To answer my own question - no, same artwork still missing, and I even restarted my iPhone which should force it to re-sync with Match.

What makes this all the more annoying is that all the missing artwork came from iTunes, either added to my own tracks, or on tracks I bought. The half-a-dozen or so covers I scanned in myself are OK :confused::confused:

How long has Match been around now? 6 months or so?

Come on Apple, extractus digitus

ALR26

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
This update Broke my iTunes!!!

Apple has released another ****** and buggy update!!:mad:

Immediately after updating to 10.6.1 I started getting an error: "The iTunes library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-54)." This error pops up every 15-20 seconds after I click ok, and now I'm thoroughly annoyed. I'm off to the discussions to find dozens of reports with no resolution.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
To answer my own question - no, same artwork still missing, and I even restarted my iPhone which should force it to re-sync with Match.

What makes this all the more annoying is that all the missing artwork came from iTunes, either added to my own tracks, or on tracks I bought. The half-a-dozen or so covers I scanned in myself are OK :confused::confused:

How long has Match been around now? 6 months or so?

Come on Apple, extractus digitus

I'm really considering calling apple to get a refund on match. I know it's a little late at this point since I got it at launch, but I kind of expected it to be working by now. My experience with it only seems to get worse. Now when I turn on iTunes match on my phone, it actually deletes a lot of songs off my device, which leads me to have to turn it off and sync again.

Then there's STILL the missing artwork issue, and perhaps my biggest pet peeve - several explicit albums that I re-downloaded for the higher quality iTunes version were replaced with EDITED versions - sometimes only certain tracks even. Basically none of the features I paid for are working correctly.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Not sure why Apple is allowing updates through the App Store if they're trying to make iOS and OS X more alike. I mean, you don't update iOS through the App Store... not yet at least. :eek:

Someone is using the Mountain Lion DP. That's all. On Lion, Snow Leopard, and Leopard, it will be through the software update process you're used to.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Unfortunately, there still seems to be the issue where the view changes for each section. For example, I like to have my Music and movies in coverflow, and apps, podcasts and TV shows in Album view. Previously, each view would stick with each respective tab, but now, if you change one, they all change.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Apple has released another ****** and buggy update!!:mad:

Immediately after updating to 10.6.1 I started getting an error: "The iTunes library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-54)." This error pops up every 15-20 seconds after I click ok, and now I'm thoroughly annoyed. I'm off to the discussions to find dozens of reports with no resolution.

I got the same. Try clicking on your username(iTunes name) which takes you into user settings, click 'Done' and this is when mine went back to normal(thus far)

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Wifi Sync not working??

i updated this evening and wifi sync stopped working, i can only sync when the device is connected by wire, when i take the wire out, the device disappears. any way to resolve this? got about 5 devices and none work.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
Looks like the Carbon programmers are safe...

LegacyAPISurvey shows lots of Carbon Frameworks use:

imagemr.png

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
arrrgggg!!! I had major crashing issues with the 10.6 update and had to go back to 10.5.3. Now my MacBook is running 10.6.1 just fine but my iMac i7 gave me an incorrect language error upon updating. Downloaded the full installer from Apple and it at least opens, but lost all my media and playlists. Got it to recognize my old library finally BUT it loses any video converted using Handbrake. Next step was using Time Machine to restore iTunes 10.5.3 but still lost all my playlists. Even restoring my iTunes Library file doesn't restore the playlists. Taking a break from this problem before I break something.

Is there a file I can restore using Time Machine that will give me my old playlists back?

Oh, and thank Thor I didn't open my wife's account iTunes during all this. At least her playlists are intact.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Have to admit I'm a little dissilusionsed with the latest Apple TV and Itunes, Ple released a DLNA version of thier media server today that supports the Xbox 360, if that proves to be ok I may be moving away from them all together.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Itunes 10.6 has been the buggiest version of itunes I've ever used. Just about every previous version was unremarkable: they just worked. Now, I've had significant issues with 10.6 and .1. First, going into video full screen crashed itunes. Now, itunes just locks up and becomes inoperable for no discernible reason. Wake up, apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.