Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes106.jpg

Apple has released iTunes 10.6 for download, following the release of 1080p iTunes Store video content and an updated Apple TV earlier today.
iTunes 10.6 adds the ability to play 1080p HD movies and TV shows from the iTunes Store.

This release also includes many improvements for iTunes Match, including:

o Improved song matching

o Improved album artwork handling, downloading, and display

o Addresses an issue where songs may skip when playing from iCloud
The iTunes 10.6 download clocks in at 126MB and is available via Apple's iTunes download page or via Software Update.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 10.6 With Support for 1080p Video Content

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
This is lame. I can't purchase any 1080p on my computer. Only Apple TV has access to it atm it seems. :(

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I knew it would be FREE for 720p owners! But I was wrong about having three different video flavors :D:eek:

Just to let everyone know: In order for existing 720p owners to upgrade to 1080p, you have to go into the Store settings in the iTunes preferences and select 1080p.

Thanks Apple!

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I knew it would be FREE for 720p owners! But I was wrong about having three different video flavors :D:eek:

Just to let everyone know: In order for existing 720p owners to upgrade to 1080p, you have to go into the Store settings in the iTunes preferences and select 1080p.

Thanks Apple!

Wow thanks, I was depressed for 2 minutes for nothing. :)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Download Previous Movie Purchases: US ONLY

I can confirm that downloading previously purchased movies only works in the US.

Apple.com (US):
Individually download past purchases.
When you buy a song, movie, TV show, app, or book from the App Store or the iTunes Store, iCloud stores it in your purchase history. So you can download what you want, from any of your devices, to whichever devices you choose.2 For example, if you don’t want your iPad to automatically download everything you buy on your iPhone, you can choose just the things you do want to download — song by song, movie by movie, app by app, and book by book.

Apple.ca (Canada):
When you buy a song, TV show, app, or book from the App Store or the iTunes Store, iCloud stores it in your purchase history. So you can download what you want, from any of your devices, to whichever devices you choose.1 For example, if you don’t want your iPad to automatically download everything you buy on your iPhone, you can choose just the things you do want to download — song by song, episode by episode, app by app, and book by book.

Apple.com/uk (UK):
When you buy a song, app or book from the App Store or the iTunes Store, iCloud stores it in your purchase history. So you can download what you want, from any of your devices, to whichever devices you choose.1 If you don’t want your iPad to automatically download everything you buy on your iPhone, for example, you can choose just the things you do want to download — song by song, app by app and book by book.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I can confirm that downloading previously purchased movies only works in the US.

Apple.com (US):

Apple.ca (Canada):

Apple.com/uk (UK):

Good find. I should have been clear, US so far.

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
One little thing, there are two settings in preferences:

Playback > Preferred Video Version > High Definition (1080p)
Store > When downloading High Definition videos, prefer > 1080p

This way, HD is your pref from the Store and playback

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I tried updating 1 episode.

iTunes keeps 3 files now for each episode so you can switch back an forth to 720P without downloading it again.

So you now have SD, HD, 1080P in your iTunes library.

I don't know if I'll update everything at once since I have 1600 episodes to upgrade and about 400 movies. That might take a minute.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Awesome updated feature - can convert ALAC (etc.) audio to 256kbps for iPhone sync!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-07 at 21.41.11.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-07 at 21.41.11.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 225

brezz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Unfortunately still getting explicit songs replaced by clean songs. I was hopeful that the update to iTunes match would fix this bug.

Brian

oops. Finally got the 10.6 update, everything works fine now. Sorry about the previous post.

Thanks Apple!

Strange. It doesn't offer any of those options in Preferences in iTunes, either in Playback or Store. Also, I upgraded to 10.6, but it only downloaded 10.5.3 in my MAC.

Last edited:

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Unfortunately still getting explicit songs replaced by clean songs. I was hopeful that the update to iTunes match would fix this bug.

Brian

Same problem here. I'm not looking foward to when they do fix it and having to sift through thousands of matched songs to find the ones they messed up.

Hopefully they'll offer a simple tool that with one click allows you do download the non censored version of all matched tracks without having to sort through. after all, their mess, they should offer an easy fix.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Strange. It doesn't offer any of those options in Preferences in iTunes, either in Playback or Store. Also, I upgraded to 10.6, but it only downloaded 10.5.3 in my MAC.

Could be your using an older Mac ? Not sure.

luisfl97

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
btw, do you know if we're gonna be able to play iTunes extras and LP on this new Apple TV or even with this new Apple TV 5.0 update on our 2nd gen?

lymanicempire

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
This is fantastic news! 1080p upgrading is such a great user-benefiting move.

I do wonder, though...where is iTunes 11?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.