Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
narco said:
The new search blows, big time.

If I wanted to listen to Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album, I'd go into my library and type "bob dy highway" and it'll show up. If I type that in iTunes 5, nothing shows up. I have to either type the artist name or the album name, and physically click "artist" or "album."

This is a step backwards in my opinion. Can you turn that search off?

Angry Fishes,
narco.
It works just fine for me. Make sure ALL is selected in both columns. After that, it will stay that way and all your future searches will work just like they did in iTunes 4.9 and earlier.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Ok... now I'm starting to get pi**ed... I started downloading 2 fudging hours ago ( :eek: ) and the ETA doesn't get much closer... :mad:
Pause the download (click on the circled X), then restart it by clicking on the orange restart symbol.

loco_macg6

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
Ogg on iTunes5

it seems that iTunes 5 could play Ogg files .... but actually it doesnt. :)

You could find that on iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes-ogg.icns

Attachments

• ogg_window.jpg
    ogg_window.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 84
  • ogg_itunes.jpg
    ogg_itunes.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 683

bensiebro

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
chabig said:
Pause the download (click on the circled X), then restart it by clicking on the orange restart symbol.
Just start over .. there are a lot more mirrors now that you will be directed to.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
MacNut said:
I am NOT liking the new look, especially the two tone display. :mad:
Me neither...fugly, on the Mac at least. I kind of like how it looks in Windows for some reason. The Mac version looks clunky though; definitely a step back!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
chabig said:
It works just fine for me. Make sure ALL is selected in both columns. After that, it will stay that way and all your future searches will work just like they did in iTunes 4.9 and earlier.

Yeah, I got it to work. The "All" button would be highlighted as if it was selected, but it actually wasn't. The "Album" button was checked but it didn't show up. Looks like a bug to me. I had to click on a different button, then re-click on "All" for it to work like 4.9. Lame.

Fishes,
narco.

bootboyuk

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
On the subject of gaps in playback between tracks, it should be fixed on the iPods... it needs to be. It stands out a mile on some albums.

If you want proof, check out the second side of Kate Bush's Hounds of Love - the bit between Waking the Witch and Hello Earth should be seamless so the bridge from the previous track into the NASA communications at the start of the next is unbroken.

There are less artsy examples too, I just can't think of one off the top of my head.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Eww eww eww. I'm not even an interface designer (thankfully), but I think even I could do a better job than what they've done with iTunes 5. iTunes is just not the same anymore.

The previous interface had a, strong feel for it. The borders around the whole window was something to grab onto, and it felt like an actual library. Now, it's, awful.

I sure hope they don't do this to the rest of iLife, or Leopard for that matter.
-Chase

Jaunty

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
London, England
Re Gapless Playback on iPod

This is not THAT imporant to me, but a lot of my friends want it, at different ends of the music spectrum: on the one hand there are classical & opera listeners and on the other dance & club mix fiends, both sets of whom would benefit from gapless album playback on an iPod, but with all individual track info available. I'm not saying it is easy but no doubt Apple could do it if they could be bothered. And for those that don't care about it, why do you care so much that someone else does? If it is introduced it won't melt the icecaps or anything. bankshot the main poster you jumped all over even said it was a 'rant'!
Anyways...elsewhere in my life, I am still waiting for an iHome Sonos style device with an option to rip CDs into iTunes once Lossless but automatically run a parralel 128 kb AAC library for mobile syncing. And can Autofill be used yet on other iPods, not just the Shuffle? (ie Nano! - I like)

loco_macg6

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
no chat with other music sharing iTunes users!!!? :mad:

i was expecting that maybe they could add this feature on this version....

loco_macg6

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
Could it....

just for curiosity ...does anybody knows if this new iTunes has Universal Binarys....maybe it could runon PPC/X86 plataform... :rolleyes:

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Nice.

I think it's an improvement, the metal look was getting old. However, why does it still have rounded corners at the bottom, and why am I still not able drag the window all the way to the bottom of my screen? Safari and Mail (among others) conform to the bottom of the screen nicely.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
loco_macg6 said:
it seems that iTunes 5 could play Ogg files .... but actually it doesnt. :)

You could find that on iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes-ogg.icns
...yet you didn't notice the WMA icon

the OGG/WMA icons have been in iTunes for MANY years, I can remember seeing it back in iTunes 3.. wow so long ago

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
How is it ugly? I think the new look is beautiful! Metal was only nice cuz it was a change. Some of you guys seem to hate it so much but Im curious as to what you think looks good...

As far as UI goes...I just ask for one thing, and thats that Apple give you a choice (in the next release?). At least give us a color option other than "Blue" and "Graphite". I loved how you could choose between different themes in OS 9, and loved the OS soundset too! I miss those simple little things alot.... :(

But again, Love the new UI! Hope it continues to develop, Im sure that it will.

larryfi

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2003
rendezvouscp said:
Eww eww eww. I'm not even an interface designer (thankfully), but I think even I could do a better job than what they've done with iTunes 5. iTunes is just not the same anymore.

*WHACK!* *WHACK!* *WHACK!* :eek:

Agree wholeheartedly on that one. Apple have got out the ugly stick and whipped iTunes to death. What's particularly horrific is the mini-controller. Where it used to be brushed-metal and perfectly designed, it now looks like 'my first interface design'. Go on, try it - you're in for a shock.

Bloody hell, Apple, what are you doing? You guys used to be good at this!

itcomesinwaves

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
sweet

I really like the new look. Less wasted space, and the 'LCD' display at the top finally gets bigger/smaller when you resize the window. Speaking of which, resizing iTunes is way Way WAY smoother than in previous versions. Could be the removal of the metal texture? Anyhow, given that I have a G5 with 256MB graphics card it's finally where it should be (resizing smoothly to fill a 23" screen).

To those of you discussing gapless playback, I'm giving apple the benefit of the doubt on this one until I see *any* other software or hardware that has implemented this feature. Which I haven't. If you know of any feel free to point them out, and I'll join you in cursing Apple's good name.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Stridder44 said:
How is it ugly? I think the new look is beautiful! Metal was only nice cuz it was a change.

As far as UI goes...I just ask for one thing, and thats that Apple give you a choice (in the next release?). At least give us a color option other than "Blue" and "Graphite". I loved how you could choose between different themes in OS 9, and loved the OS soundset too! I miss those simple little things alot.... :(

But again, Love the new UI! Hope it continues to develop, Im sure that it will.

How is it ugly? How about the mixed reflective surface and gradients? What about the lack of space in the top bar? Now there's five items up there and they all take a lot of space. The boxy design with small rounded corners isn't very elegant either. What about all the mixing of gradients of various different shades? Not to mention the Aqua and gray mix. There's just so many things; I think it looks awful.
-Chase

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
larryfi said:
*WHACK!* *WHACK!* *WHACK!* :eek:

Agree wholeheartedly on that one. Apple have got out the ugly stick and whipped iTunes to death. What's particularly horrific is the mini-controller. Where it used to be brushed-metal and perfectly designed, it now looks like 'my first interface design'. Go on, try it - you're in for a shock.

Bloody hell, Apple, what are you doing? You guys used to be good at this!

That was the first thing I saw, since the last time I had iTunes open it was miniaturized. That definitely didn't kick this whole thing off to a good start.

I'm going to have to explore to find out if this is a custom iTunes thing, or if Apple's enabled a simple option in the iTunes interface packages.
-Chase

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Now I've downloaded it an played with it a while, I'm spotting more and more UI inconsistencies. What's going on with the Apple UI team? Do they have one at all anymore?

First Mail, Dashboard, now this. It's better than metal but not quite right. Why the almost square corners, yet another plastic colour and different colours to Mail for things like the search bar and selection line. The font size in the search bar is smaller than in the Finder. The graduated pane titles that stand out a mile instead of the aqua/plastic look used almost everywhere now including widgets.

Whilst on the subject of the search bar, it would have been useful if they'd included a 'save' button to save your search as a smart playlist.

The lines between the panes are too dark IMHO. In Mail and other apps it's a lighter grey and they don't clash as much with white. And it could do with a thumb tab divider between the left pane and main area for resizing instead of the single pixel line. ie. like they have in the Finder or iTunes 4. They've also put a thumb tab for sizing in the top of the Source pane. In Mail, it's at the bottom of the pane.

Bizarre.

I can only hope someone writes yet another tool to tame down the rampant UI re-designers at Apple so we can get back some consistency. If only they'd attach as much effort to the Finder as they do to iTunes!

The podcasts in the library thing was easily fixed by the way.

First Empty your trash in Finder.

In the Library there is an artist named 'Podcasts'. Delete that and tell iTunes to store the deleted tracks in Trash when asked.

Go to Finder. create a temporary folder on your desktop and move the trashed podcasts into that.

Now select the Podcasts icon in iTunes. drop the trashed podcasts on top of that icon and you'll see them rippling back in to iTunes where they belong. It appears to then work just as before.

Smart Playlists where you set the rule 'Podcast / is true' doesn't work for me. I presume because they are now no longer in the Library. That's a bonus IMHO. :D

loco_macg6

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
SilvorX said:
...yet you didn't notice the WMA icon

the OGG/WMA icons have been in iTunes for MANY years, I can remember seeing it back in iTunes 3.. wow so long ago

But why it cant play WMA and ogg??

by the way...i dint know that this icons has years on iTunes....LOL :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.