Apple Releases Java Updates for OS X, Including Malware Removal Tool

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has released updated versions of Java for OS X, following a prominent hacking of Apple employees' Macs, plus the remote blocking of the Java plugin due to security vulnerabilities.

This is the standard quarterly update of Java 6 that Apple distributes, while customers looking for Java 7 should download straight from Oracle.

The update includes the malware removal tool mentioned earlier that will "remove the most common variants of malware". If malware is found, the user is notified -- otherwise, no notification is made.
    There are two download packages available through Apple's software download site, one for OS X Snow Leopard and the other for OS X Lion or Mountain Lion. They may also be downloaded through Software Update or the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java Updates for OS X, Including Malware Removal Tool

2. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

They also updated iTunes to 11.0.2. This makes me wonder if the iTunes update patches one of the holes that evasi0n uses to jailbreak.

3. macrumors 68000

I don't get it if I am running 10.8, and already have the latest version of Java from Oracle do I need this? Why is it showing up in Software Update?

4. Guest

This was released as quickly as 10.8.3 *cough cough* ;)

5. macrumors 68040

bradl

That... is interesting.

If so, it may be worth not upgrading iTunes until you've jailbroken your iDevice on the latest iOS, then update. It would be interesting to hear what the evad3rs have to say..

Perhaps a thread spin-off?

BL.

6. macrumors regular

Type "java -version" in Terminal. Although Java is now shipped by Oracle, Apple may support updates for security purpose.

Except if you have Java 7, I doubt you'll have the latest version of Java 6 already.

7. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

8. macrumors 6502

Wow, I just noticed (last week?) that my Snow Leopard machine had the update to 6_39 (the big recent Java patch), so this is definitely something new.

Nice to see Apple keeping the 6 updates coming so those machines that can't go on to Lion can still have updated VM's.

9. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

10. macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised Apple is still offering Java updates for Snow Leopard. Usually their policy is supporting the most recent 2 OS versions only and Leopard didn't get Java updates this long once Lion was released. Works out for me anyways since one of my older Macs still runs Snow Leopard. Too bad they don't offer full security updates to address other parts of the OS.

11. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Didn't see that coming - now 10.8.3 PLEASE!!!

12. macrumors 68000

I know I have Java 7 I downloaded it from Oracle

Terminal says:

java version "1.6.0_37"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

13. macrumors regular

dweezle3

Java. Just Another Vulnerability Announcement.

14. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Having multiple versions is confusing and maybe Oracle's version sits on top of Apple's. Unrelated to today's update, I did a fresh install of 10.8.2 on a new machine yesterday and tried to run a Java app, and it went to Software Update and automatically pulled down Apple's Java 6. Once that was installed, I tried to run the app again and it sent me to Oracle's site to download Java 7. I had previously thought that 6 and 7 were separate so I'm not sure why I had to download 6 in order to run an app in 7.

15. macrumors regular

Well, you have Java 6, which isn't updated, and probably installed Java 7 without activating it as the default JVM. So, as you have still Java 6, the Software Update is offering you the actual update. Plus, you must note that all Java applications will run under Java 6 if you don't change the settings.

16. macrumors 6502

I am so happy about this update. My safari seems...... ooopssss.... never mind.

17. macrumors 6502

Oracle should change the name of their Java product to Achilles.

18. macrumors member

I may have exactly the same problem and get the exact same response in Terminal as todd2000. So I tried this link: http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/08/how-to-disable-java/

How come I can't find 'Java Preferences' in the Utilities folder? Typing it in Spotlight won't help either.

19. macrumors 6502

Lark.Landon

20. macrumors 68000

adder7712

I'm not sure if I'm behind the times but Oracle released a Java update on Windows that uninstalls all versions of Java 6 on Windows.

21. macrumors member

22. macrumors regular

23. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I downloaded the update for Java 7 15. There is no need for Apple's right?

24. macrumors 6502a

this doesnt show up if you dont have java right

25. macrumors 6502

Same here, I have the 1.6.0_37, I have downloaded the one from the oracle website and run again the terminal app to check which version and still says as the above. What am I not getting?