Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
The cool thing is, you can use it on any Mac that has your iTunes login info entered. So if you own 10 Mac's, you only have to buy an App once.

Im pretty sure you can only authorise X amount of computers. I think its 5. Im pretty sure.

Enigmah

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Clever Apple.

So i copied one of the Apps i bought, onto a USB drive and stuck it one of the guys Macs upstairs, he tried to launch it and it asked him to confirm MY app store login details.

Nice. Clever. Would be a massive flaw if you could simply copy them over!

Not that clever when you think about it !

It was an obvious move to integrate DRM in to the apps, thought that was one of the main points !!

Last edited:

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
So I finally got my mobile me / existing apple id to work. Here is what I am finding.

SERVERS ARE GETTING HAMMERED!!!! My downloads are slow and taking forever.

Here is what I don't like so far. I am a stickler for backing up my stuff. Looks like my time machine backups just became even more important and my only source. Unlike ipad/iphone apps that put an ipa in your "user/music/itunes/mobile applications" folder, which you can burn to CD/DVD manually or backup using itunes backup (I do that once ever couple of months). Looks like there is no way to backup the package that is downloaded for your apps from the mac app store. I cannot find the download anywhere. If someone does find them, send me an email (this thread is getting a way to long to search through). These apps are expensive and I would like to have more than just my time machine backup (hard drives do still fail).

Why backup your Apps at all? Any App purchased thru iTunes or the Mac App Store is a free download on any computer that you've logged into your iTunes account with. Back up your documents, and Apps not purchased with your iTunes account.

BobF4321

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I have a few 3rd-party apps that did not show "installed" in the app store until I upgraded them to the latest version, so the app store is looking for specific versions.
Also, there is an FAQ link at the bottom of the app store screen that answers some questions asked in this thread.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
No new iWork spoils it for me, but the new Aperture pricing is sweet.

Tried buying MindNode (free), but it seems it's not working yet... (edit: will try rebooting)

Would love to see Xcode on the store, too. Make the tools super easy to get.

Just my observation but I think iWork 09 may be the last desktop copy we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if the next version will be a cloud version only since Apple's been finally working on iWork.com.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Im pretty sure you can only authorise X amount of computers. I think its 5. Im pretty sure.

According to Apple: "After you purchase an application, you can install it free of charge on every Mac you use."

No mention of a limit, though I don't have enough Mac's myself to test it and see.

I've read about people installing an App from the Mac App Store on 6 computers and not having any issues.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Clever Apple.

So i copied one of the Apps i bought, onto a USB drive and stuck it one of the guys Macs upstairs, he tried to launch it and it asked him to confirm MY app store login details.

Nice. Clever. Would be a massive flaw if you could simply copy them over!

Was to be expected - is the same for music and movies you purchase on iTunes. I think you can authenticate up to 5 machines.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
According to Apple: "After you purchase an application, you can install it free of charge on every Mac you use."

No mention of a limit, though I don't have enough Mac's myself to test it and see.

I installed it earlier, i cant remember if it said 3 or 5 authorisations. Read between the lines, im sure it will say in the T&C's that '5' or whatever is a *reasonable* amount of Macs that you'd be expected to use.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
...can't be installed on this computer.

I'm getting a lot of "Can't Be Installed On This Computer" errors. :confused:

I hate how the system requirements are so generic, this is just plain silly. Obviously it's not working, but a detailed explanation would be expected. Sure I'm on an older '06 Core Duo iMac. But some clarification would be nice! :rolleyes: :(

Attachments

• app-store-fail.png
    app-store-fail.png
    496.1 KB · Views: 214

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I installed it earlier, i cant remember if it said 3 or 5 authorisations. Read between the lines, im sure it will say in the T&C's that '5' or whatever is a *reasonable* amount of Macs that you'd be expected to use.

I've seen at least one person reporting having success installing an App on 6 Mac's. I really don't think there's a limit. Apple is going with the honour system, same as they do for their OS's, iLife etc... Yes it's linked to your account, but any computer with your account can run it. I'm sure if they see the same account on tens or hundreds of computers, they'd do something about it, but I don't think there's a hard limit.

Prelude2elude

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
The App store is going to be sweet for Macs, I like how it recognized that I already have iWork 09 and iLife 11 already installed.

Just downloaded Twitter too, took 10 seconds.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone know how the App Store will apply to lab environments?

Here at the university we have a lab of iMacs. Let's say I want to install Twitter for Mac on every machine... Do I have to create an app store account for the university, log into every machine and authenticate it for each one? This is crazy time consuming!

Right now we set up a machine exactly how we want it, with the software we need, and clone the install image to the rest of the lab. It works great, but app DRM would throw quite a wrench into this mix. I also don't want regular users to be able to install apps!

Did Apple bother to think of this at all?

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada

Here at the university we have a lab of iMacs. Let's say I want to install Twitter for Mac on every machine... Do I have to create an app store account for the university, log into every machine and authenticate it for each one? This is crazy time consuming!

Right now we set up a machine exactly how we want it, with the software we need, and clone the install image to the rest of the lab. It works great, but app DRM would throw quite a wrench into this mix. I also don't want regular users to be able to install apps!

Not that I know of, but nothing is stopping you from continuing to go the cloned install image route.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010

I'd imagine the user accounts system preference has an option to disable access to the App Store - same for the server version with policies. I'd be surprised if this wasn't included.

bwphoto

macrumors member
May 2, 2006
Dang. just paid box price for Aperture. I can't imagine there is a difference between them either...

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Yes I misspoke. There is a shortcut in the dock. And I know how to drag it off of the dock. And I frequently use spotlight to launch apps. What I'm saying is, why do they assume I want a shortcut to a new app in the dock, when does it stop? Do they put a shortcut to every app you download in the dock?

Once of the selling points about the App Store is that Apple wants to reduce the "confusion" with installing apps (just copy to Applications vs. running an installer for example). There are some I'm sure who think if it's not in the dock, it's no installed. They have to dumb it down.

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I'm not liking this shi**y sphere glossy ******ng icon style that coming up lately. And I know Steve that you spend hours just thinking about the most appropriate icon.

Oh, and I fear that at this rate we will have ****ing game center installed on our macs without our consent ¬¬

Last edited:

Enigmah

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Dilema !!!!

OK Guys I've got a dilema that I need some advice on.

When I get home should I download Aperture or Angry Birds :confused::confused:

scunky

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Somerset, England
where are the mac apps?

i have itunes 10.11 installed where are the mac apps? all i see are apps for iphone and ipad

091320-mac_app_store_email_500.jpg

Apple today announced that the Mac App Store has opened for business with over 1,000 apps available at launch. The Mac App Store requires Mac OS X 10.6.6, which is now available for download via Software Update.Among the Apple app available through the store are iLife '11 applications priced at $14.99 each, iWork applications at $19.99 each, and Aperture 3 at $79.99. Apple also highlights the inclusion of applications from Autodesk, Ancestry.com and Boinx.

We'll have continuing coverage of Mac App Store developments as users have time to explore the store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Launches Mac App Store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.