Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
So I'm checking update but it says no more update I see people saying GM is out. How can I get GM for sierra. Currently I'm on Developer Beta.

Go to https://developer.apple.com/macos/ and click the download button. Login with your developer account.

You should see the GM with download button. Click the download button and a new redemption code for the GM will be generated. Then redeem it in the mac app store.

xxjrsmith3xx

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2014
Go to https://developer.apple.com/macos/ and click the download button. Login with your developer account.

You should see the GM with download button. Click the download button and a new redemption code for the GM will be generated. Then redeem it in the mac app store.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm all out of luck because I was able to get it the 1st time with my friends account. I might have to ask him again for it haha.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Well, the announcements, no. But aren't the actual releases usually timed with new hardware? Maybe I'm just revealing my age, but I certainly remember a time when major OS upgrades coincided with new hardware... or at least that's how I remember it... :\
Sometimes the release of a new major Mac OS (X) version happened to coincide with some new hardware, but most of the time it didn't. It was never a given, nor is it now.

Reactions: jagooch

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
ugh...my first experience with sierra..."spinning fans" gate. i'm on a late 2013 rmbp 16 gb, 2,3ghz i7...

I see a lot of people are going to complain about it, if this is going to be a golden master release...

edit: installed it now for 12 hours..

Reactions: grahamperrin

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
ugh...my first experience with sierra..."spinning fans" gate. i'm on a late 2013 rmbp 16 gb, 2,3ghz i7...

I see a lot of people are going to complain about it, if this is going to be a golden master release...

Try resetting your PRAM and SMC. Could help.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
1) I'm pretty sure most are glad they don't need to buy new hardware in order to run a new OS
2) Major new macOS/OS X versions aren't linked to new hardware to begin with
1) I'm pretty sure you have no idea what most users are thinking. Psssttt. He never claimed or asked for new hardware in order to run a new OS.
2) I AM pretty sure that almost every person in the MacRumors forums knows this. Again, he wasn't saying that.

He was simply proclaiming his disappointment in the fact that Apple made no Mac hardware announcements yesterday. You really need to not take things so literally.

Reactions: Cougarcat

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Have you done any troubleshooting to see what processes are using a lot of CPU time? This isn't a widespread bug in the OS.

Reactions: mr.bee

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Blah, I have held off installing the Betas so I suppose I will wait until official release. Damn you swift development for work!! Keeping me off exciting betas.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
It seems How to upgrade page needs more work.

1. General requirements make no sense. Minimum 10.7.5 but if you have 10.6.8 you first have to install El Capitan? It seems Apple won't remove El Capitan from the App Store if this is correct?
2. Only 2Gb of RAM? Probably because of oldest supported Macbook Air has 2Gb and can't be upgraded but it would be prudent to recommended 4Gb...?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Overall in my experience Sierra was very stable from PB1 all the way through and I didn't log one single problem. I don't see any reason why I won't upgrade my primary drive on the 20th.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Have you done any troubleshooting to see what processes are using a lot of CPU time? This isn't a widespread bug in the OS.

yes photoanalysisd, kernel, photo agent, there was also a process with videoprocessing, but I forgot the name.

I checked twitter and there were a lot of people complaining about photoanalysisd. I understand the necessity but they should make it optional when to start, like when you open photo's or something.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Thanks!
Is it an easy upgrade? I have about 500gb of files on my 2013 27" iMac.

It's fairly simple and straightforward.

However, you should have a full, up-to-date backup of your system before you upgrade. You should have one ANYWAY; if you don't now is a good time to start one. Just use Time Machine with an external hard drive.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

macgeek727

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Looks like they added this back in on the GM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 12.01.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 12.01.28 PM.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 174

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
1) I'm pretty sure you have no idea what most users are thinking. Psssttt. He never claimed or asked for new hardware in order to run a new OS.
2) I AM pretty sure that almost every person in the MacRumors forums knows this. Again, he wasn't saying that.

He was simply proclaiming his disappointment in the fact that Apple made no Mac hardware announcements yesterday. You really need to not take things so literally.
1) It's not a hard guess really
2) There's at least one person here who thought otherwise (check yourself)

Let's be realistic: This was an iPhone event. Why even slightly expect Mac hardware?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Well, the announcements, no. But aren't the actual releases usually timed with new hardware? Maybe I'm just revealing my age, but I certainly remember a time when major OS upgrades coincided with new hardware... or at least that's how I remember it... :\
That's how it was, but nowadays many major updates are smaller in terms of offerings. IMO this one might be one of the smaller ones. Next year has to have a big one to entice new buyers and refresh the look of the OS.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I cannot find this in my dev account. It just offers me xcode 8. Is there another place I can get a safe, clean GM?

It was/is doing this to me on my 2011 MacBook Pro. I ended up going to the dev account on another computer that did not have a bata installed on it and added the code to my App Store.

rahulda1

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
lots of kernel tasks, lots of photoanalysisd..also this is the first time I can actually hear it do stuff inside, like in the spinning disk days...

gonna close the lid and let it stay connected to power, power nap is on so with some luck it's all finished by tomorrow :)

only duet and Apple configurator aren't working, which I received a message for right after the upgrade :)

Hey, I have tested on a few computers and duet works with Sierra. Are you on the latest version (1.5.8.8)?

Reactions: mr.bee

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Haven't had enough time with the GM, but even with the previous beta I'd have the computer utterly shut down repeatedly when trying to play XCOM 2 at the same time as the offending daemons were doing their thing.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
If we install this GM, and a newer version is available on release day, will we see that version as an available update in the mac store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.