Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
WOW, that is a must have feature in any phone. I'm going to go buy 14 iPhone 6's just because of this incredibly useful feature. I'm so glad Apple made me aware of this.

If only there was some kind of way to communicate with people using our voices, in a conversation of sorts, using these devices.

I guess that's why NOBODY uses HeyTell or WhatsApp or TiKL right??
Because it is sooooo useless to send bursts of audio??
/sarcasm
Apple quite cleverly overcame a lot of the issues with these audio text apps... the primary one being that the audio clips are stored & can fill your device with useless data.. in the Apple incarnation, they self delete in a few minutes.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
SO, can I send this exciting new voice text to my friends who have Samsung phones? OR, is it only iPhone to iPhone? OR, is it only iPhone 6 to iPhone 6?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I wasn't even aware this feature was there (don't care if other devices already do this or not....I didn't know the iPhone did it). Perfect example of a good ad, showing something the device can do, and in a humorous way. Gonna be using this feature now for sure.

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
Anybody else getting sick of the Fallon and Timberlake commercials?
Count me in. Where are my mind-numbing glossy ads with skinny perfect models who just smile and laugh, blissfully unaware of the niceties of the product, and with all those "happy" people dancing to the consumer tune?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
That's the problem. They aren't trying to approach the ad with "Hey look who we starred in our commercial" but more about the content and features of the iPhone. Because at the end of the day, who cares if it's Timberlake or Dr. Dre? As long as the ad does the job!

You know who does a good job of delivering the lines required for an advert which isn’t trying to leverage star power and simply requires words to be spoken (You don’t even need them there, have a hand model manipulate the phone)? Voiceover artists.

Seriously?
Yes, neither of them have particularly memorable voices. Do you not remember the slightly odd moment during the Keynote when the adverts were played, Tim asked “does anyone know who we got to do these” and there was total silence in the room. These are not memorable voices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I've used the voice messaging feature on QQ for years. I find it convenient and glad it was finally added to iMessage.

It'll be highly popular in China and other countries where the legacy keyboard doesn't support the native language well.

Last edited:

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
The 6+ always looks tempting in these ads

Okay, I have a confession to make. I dropped by Best Buy Tuesday night and picked up the iPhone 6+ ... and didn't hate its mammoth size anymore. In fact, I actually found myself thinking that I wanted one.

I feel so confused. Like I've forgotten which color is supposed to be my favorite.

----------

Count me in. Where are my mind-numbing glossy ads with skinny perfect models who just smile and laugh, blissfully unaware of the niceties of the product, and with all those "happy" people dancing to the consumer tune?

Nah, I'm good for a few more.

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
I really dislike these ads, they offer so little and the humour is terrible. I just think back to last years Christmas ad and that was so beautiful. These all feel rather tacky by comparrison.

I also agree about for having this "star power" the voices are not that recognisable and so they might as well not have them.

The voices are recognizable to Apple's core demo of urban hipsters.

The whole voice text thing, to me, emphasizes the fact that Siri is appalling at recognizing and transcribing speech. When I saw the feature demo'd at the keynote, I thought, "Wow, Apple just admitted an epic failure here." But of course, it's "revolutionary."

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Bizarre to create a TV commercial based on this feature that's hardly ever used.

Actually, I have a family member who uses the voice text feature all the time ... on her Android phone in Whatsapp. Basically this is another feature that Apple is crippling itself with (like FaceTime) by not making it available cross platform.

shawnth

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I was waiting for this feature to make its way into iMessage... like 2 years ago. Given they are so late to the show with this, wish they would've at least made it as good as how its implemented in other apps (i.e. whatsapp/wechat). Not sure what the point is anyways.. most people have friends on both iphone and android. What use do people really have for a closed platform like iMessage ?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
The voices are recognizable to Apple's core demo of urban hipsters.

The whole voice text thing, to me, emphasizes the fact that Siri is appalling at recognizing and transcribing speech. When I saw the feature demo'd at the keynote, I thought, "Wow, Apple just admitted an epic failure here." But of course, it's "revolutionary."

Or maybe people actually want to hear the voice of their loved ones.. A thought...

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
haven't used the feature yet after 2 months of iOS 8. Never received a voice text either. Is the sound quality really that bad?

Try it out by sending a message to yourself. It's awful. If it wasn't so bad I would've started using a bit.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I think it's a pretty cool ad. Not overbearing or attempting to slander competitors. Since the push-to-talk has faded from the front lines, this is a nice way to bring it back.

As far as others giving negative comments about Fallon and JT, I honestly didn't realize it was them-wouldn't have mattered either way.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
SO, can I send this exciting new voice text to my friends who have Samsung phones? OR, is it only iPhone to iPhone? OR, is it only iPhone 6 to iPhone 6?

It will only show up as a sound bite/file for Apple devices that aren't upgraded to iOS 8. I'm not sure, but I believe it's only limited to iMessage.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yea, me and my mate use a similar system.....we came up with a catchy name for it...we called it a phone call!

Then there's really no reason for you to be on this thread is there? You and your boyfriend want to stay in the old times go right ahead.

----------

Not creative enough, and the idea being highlighted is too basic, won't make anyone go out there and buy a 6 or 6+, but if the main intention is telling current iPhone users what they can do with their phones then good job Apple, awesome Ad.

Exactly because the Microsoft ad touting their machine having a USB port and a kickstand is enough to make people go out and spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on their crap.

----------

Anybody else getting sick of the Fallon and Timberlake commercials?

LMAO then the ads are working if you're sick of them. Ads don't work unless you getting tired or annoyed by them. That means you're noticing them. I just love how some people on this forum don't understand advertising. You must think that ads are here just to entertain you. :p

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I would think that this feature would be quite annoying, as I already get annoyed when someone leaves me a voicemail. Just send me a text, I can check that in more situations and in less time than this would require. I haven't used it yet, has anyone found it useful for the recipient?
Have you seen the ad? The two guys downright explain the benefit of voice over text.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I really dislike these ads, they offer so little and the humour is terrible. I just think back to last years Christmas ad and that was so beautiful. These all feel rather tacky by comparrison.

I also agree about for having this "star power" the voices are not that recognisable and so they might as well not have them. I mean if you have to be told by someone who that was like Tim did at the keynote then what is the point of using a "celebrity". Someone like benedict cumberbatch or patrick stewart etc then right away your like omg I know this voice but with these two its just a waste.

Of course you don't get it. Why doesn't that surprise me.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I could understand the appeal of "voice texts" back before Siri -- there are many situations where I wouldn't or can't type out a message.

But now that you can use Siri to dictate a text, what's the point? Please, don't send me a "voice text", so I have to find a private place to listen to it, or interrupt a meeting to play it.

If you want me to hear your voice, call me. Then, we can actually have a conversation.

----------

Siri does well enough to communicate. She may mangle a few words, but the recipient can usually figure out the intent. And, sometimes Siri provides fodder for a good laugh afterwards.

----------

Or maybe people actually want to hear the voice of their loved ones.. A thought...

My wife and I use the audio-only Facetime to talk when I'm traveling on business. The audio quality is far superior to anything else, and sounds like I'm in the room with her.

And, we can actually have a conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.