Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
What is it mean by "Uninstalls Apple-Provided Java Applet Plug-in" ? Is this update improves the security by removing the java version installed from Apple?

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
What is it mean by "Uninstalls Apple-Provided Java Applet Plug-in" ? Is this update improves the security by removing the java version installed from Apple?

If this is the first time you have installed Java since 2012, then yes it disables the Java 6 web plugin. You can follow Apple's directions to reenable it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you have followed those steps before you will not have the plugin disabled again.

Hope this helps!

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Fortunately not missing Java on my machine. I hope I can soon say the same about Flash and Silverlight

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Lol - nice to see that they make mistakes like the rest. I blindly assumed it was a Maverick GM bug thing!

Even more laughs... Turn the printer on (HP connected by USB) and get this message :D:D:D

Choose Ignore and it works...;)

Attachments

• Printerpic.jpg
    Printerpic.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 37

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Chrome could and should go 64-bit.

Also, Minecraft is still Java 6 on OS X for some reason, even though in Windows and Linux it runs on Java 7.

I totally agree, I've been waiting for Chrome to go 64-bit for a long time now. I don't know why Google is dragging their feet so much.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
If this is the first time you have installed Java since 2012, then yes it disables the Java 6 web plugin. You can follow Apple's directions to reenable it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you have followed those steps before you will not have the plugin disabled again.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the explanation. I have only one file called JavaAppletPlugin.plugin with version "java 7 Update 25" in Library/Internet Plug-Ins. I previously installed Apple's java and then installed all other java updates came from Apple up to this update.

Does this means that the Apple java internet plugin is no-longer in my computer? If then, why do I still getting updates for Apple's Java version?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Really. How hard would it be for Apple to compile a version for the last 5 or so major OS releases so older devices that were recently DISABLED by Apple can simply be re-enabled to shipping capacity. I had a Java app which was mission critical simply stop working on OSX 10.4.11 which is very widely deployed.

/ valid complaint /

And, yes, I have modern computers too. :D

None of these updates, Apple's or otherwise, should have disabled the JVM entirely. Some have disabled the Java browser plug-in (to prevent drive-by attacks of known compromised versions).

If your "mission-critical" Java app is not an applet, you should be fine. Otherwise, there must be another problem. If it is an applet, both you and the developer may want to re-think your 2013 life choices.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
32-Bit applications can use already 128-Bit (SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1 and so on) and 256-Bit instructions (AVX, AVX 2). So your criticism is probably unfounded.

Except that Chrome won't run 64-bit plugins (in this context Java 7 64bit on Mac) so in context of the thread and Java support my comment is not unfounded. Unless Oracle or Google has made some recent change that I am unaware of.

From Java.com:
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

What are the system requirements for Java 7 on my Mac?
Operating system requirements: For Java 7, you will need an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X version 10.7.3 (Lion) and above. Installing Java on a Mac is performed on a system wide basis, for all users, and administrator privileges are required. Java 7 can not be installed on a per-user basis.
Browser requirements: A 64-bit browser (Safari or Firefox, for example) is required to run Java 7 on Mac OS X. 32-bit browsers such as Chrome do not support Java 7 on the Mac platform.

And even with both Java 6 & Java 7 installed, Chrome is having troubles doing anything with Java. I love Chrome, but I do need Java support for many things and so Chrome lags behind for casual browsing while I use Safari and Firefox for productivity.

Last edited:

HelgeJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
All errors updating

I got these errors loading an javaaplet after updating. Don't know what happend but it was identical on iMAC and Air running 10.8.5

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.defineClassHelper(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:1097)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.access$100(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:64)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader$2.run(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:1055)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.findClassHelper(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:1019)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Applet2ClassLoader.java:130)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:259)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:189)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:170)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:721)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Plugin2Manager.java:3148)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Plugin2Manager.java:1536)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.defineClassHelper(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:1078)
... 13 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadAllowedCodebases(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:462)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.getPermissions(Plugin2ClassLoader.java:452)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getPermissions(Applet2ClassLoader.java:680)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.getProtectionDomain(SecureClassLoader.java:235)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:217)
... 18 more
Undtagelse: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Thank you for the explanation. I have only one file called JavaAppletPlugin.plugin with version "java 7 Update 25" in Library/Internet Plug-Ins. I previously installed Apple's java and then installed all other java updates came from Apple up to this update.

Does this means that the Apple java internet plugin is no-longer in my computer? If then, why do I still getting updates for Apple's Java version?

Its still there, its just not active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.