Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
zimtheinvader said:
you could have bought this exact 12" in a 15" model 3 mo ago, the only real difference would have been the price...and the 'scroll pad'.
The only difference would have been the price? I guess $600-$700 must be pocket change for you?

Chris

P.S. I guess there is nothing special about the $499 Mac mini either. After all, you could have bought a 1.25GHz G4 tower two years ago.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
vtprinz said:
Now that that's out of the way, where are the new PowerMacs :D

ORDERED:
Product Name: PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz SuperDrive
Options:
065-5644 1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM dual
065-5597 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
065-5379 100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
065-5286 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
065-5376 AirPort Extreme Card
065-5290 Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Unit Price: $1,999.00

BTW i got that price using the ADC one time use discount. 20% off thanks! 99 to join as a student.

BJU1223

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
Don't open the box when you receive it, and call Apple telling them you want to return it. I think you will be able to do it without penalty, but at worst you should only have to pay a 10% restocking fee... Which will be partly covered by the fact the new ones have a $100 price drop

mine is BTO i can't return it! :mad:

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
ExoticFish said:
that technology has been shipping with IBM laptops for a little while now. sounds awesome.

IBM has a long list of technologies that Apple's currently featuring in their hardware. I think we're actually seeing the best HW and the best SW companies in the world teaming up on a more serious level to take on the market leaders. I wouldn't be suprised if at some point soon IBM's servers came with the option of XSAN and / or OS X.n Server.

Did no one else find it prophetic that the Apple Logo went permanently blue about the same time Apple started co-designing it's HW with IBM?

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
carebear427 said:
What? No backlit keyboard for the 12"??? What's that all about. I'm very surprised about that! How cool it would be to have a BTO for a backlit keyboard, I'd pay $99 extra just to have it!

Perhaps, it's not technically feasible to squash sensors and wiring into the 12". And before someone gets started on the still missing FW 800 port, there is no space for an additional port. Unfortunately, FW 800 is not backwards compatible, so it wouldn't make sense to exchange the more usable FW 400 port for a FW 800 port.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
carebear427 said:
What? No backlit keyboard for the 12"??? What's that all about. I'm very surprised about that! How cool it would be to have a BTO for a backlit keyboard, I'd pay $99 extra just to have it!
I think I'd pay for it too. It is moving down the line, though, and I'm sure Apple will include it in the 12" when it becomes possible, and it makes sense. There are likely technical reasons it can't be done today.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
chabig said:
The only difference would have been the price? I guess $600-$700 must be pocket change for you?

Chris

He also seems to be overlooking the different video card, the sudden motion sensor, and the bluetooth 2.0

Ysean

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
What if I ordered a PowerBook last Monday?

I ordered a PowerBook last Monday and received it last week. I've read (on rumor sites) about a policy in which you can return your product for an exchange if they updated the product you ordered within 10 days. Well, it looks like they both updated the product (and lowered the price?). Is it true I can exchange the product? What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Ysean

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
BJU1223 said:
i am not sure ... it should be here in an hour ... but i didn't get any email about upgrade of anything ... i sure hope is upgrade because mine is BTO so i can't return it ... i wonder if is wortha try calling them asking for a discount :confused:

Should you really get an old model, don't open the box and call Apple immediately and complain about it. Like I said Apple has never shipped old models within 10 days (I believe) of a product upgrade.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Ysean said:
I ordered a PowerBook last Monday and received it last week. I've read (on rumor sites) about a policy in which you can return your product for an exchange if they updated the product you ordered within 10 days. Well, it looks like they both updated the product (and lowered the price?). Is it true I can exchange the product? What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Yes it is true, but they likely won't work with you if yours was BTO. Just give Apple a call. A 10% restocking fee will be applicable.

BJU1223

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2005
Zaty said:
Should you really get an old model, don't open the box and call Apple immediately and complain about it. Like I said Apple has never shipped old models within 10 days (I believe) of a product upgrade.

will do ... thanks ... i feel better now :eek:

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
BJU1223 said:
OMG!!! my NEW powerbook is out of date before it even gets here!!! is on the way to my home as we speak yet is alerady outdated before it got here!!! :mad: i ordered when the apple store was out of stock on everything and my est ship time was 2/09 thinking i will get the new one fore sure but apple screw me over and shipped my powerbook out all of a sudden!!! d*mn u apple!!! :mad:

I thought the same, but have been assured by the reseller I ordered through it has been upgraded. However I have cancelled it and ordered a 15" with 128MB graphics card, 100Gig hard drive and 1 Gig Ram, cost me £40 more than before and all I had before was 512Ram and the uprated graphics card.

So I'm happy!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Zaty said:

Complain vehemently if necessary.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Yay!!

Finally, the new PBs are here and everyone can stop guessing. Of course, people will continue whining.
Ok.... so the new PBs aren't the best. They're still a nice value for someone buying a PB for the first time. For me, with my 1Ghz 12" PB, it's not really a big deal.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
hvfsl said:
Well there is nothing that makes me want to upgrade my 1.33Ghz Powerbook (they even use the same graphics cards as before). Although that new trackpad looks nice, I wonder if you can update the trackpad software on the older powerbooks to support those new features?

somebody said it already but yeah, get sidetrack... its cool

new pbs on a monday? why?

G5 coming in June! yipee

but still these are the laptops for 2005 so go out and get one if you have not already.. and if you have a sub 1ghz pb sell it now before they floor-rocket

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Ysean said:

Thanks,
Ysean

Oh dear, you probably got one of the last Rev. C models ever built. -:)I believed they haven't shipped any PBs for two weeks or so. Call them and ask if you can return it.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i think that this is great news.

i think now apple have reached the end of the G4 powerbook line, the rev.D.
if a G5 or dual core G4 is around the corner, then this is what will be the most reliable revision of the Powerbook to date. i think that i would prefer a last rev G4 to a G5, because of all the problems that it will incur (remeber the warping and oven like Rev.A's?

i am very tempted by this revision, there has not been a better time to buy :D .

tastic.

Ysean

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
Restocking Fee...

Chaszmyr said:
Yes it is true, but they likely won't work with you if yours was BTO. Just give Apple a call. A 10% restocking fee will be applicable.

Hmm... well I bought mine with student discount so it looks like I'll be a little more out of pocket. Oh well. I want the faster cpu, larger HD, and illuminated KB.

Caiwyn

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
Well, all the G5 "hints" turned out to be premature. They're not even using the new MPC7448 from Freescale, with the 200 Mhz bus speed, 1 MB of L2 cache, and lower power draw (for longer battery life). Which means this is just an overclocked 7447A. Very disappointing.

Still, the price reduction, faster and more compatible superdrive, and especially the faster hard drive are all a welcome improvement. I said I'd get the next revision, and I'll be purchasing a 15" Superdrive model tonight.

It's worth noting, though, that that 1-pixel "apple_g5_powerbook" image in the source code is back again. I think we can expect to see a G5 powerbook later this year, possibly at WWDC.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
You fools! Tomorrow they're going to announce the G5 Powerbook! Don't get worked up over this model, it'll be outdated before the first one even ships!

Anyway, I'll be getting a 15" 1.67GHz. I have a dual 2.5 G5 PowerMac, so my purchase is based on things other than speed. I need a laptop, and this last G4 rev looks mighty nice. I do hope many of you wait for WWDC for your G5s. I want to get my PB quickly, without long shipping delays ;).

SiMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
I've done it!

I only gone and ordered a brand spanking new PB 15"/1.67/SD !
Decided on the stock 80Gb HDD - was this the right decision?

Also, I only hope that their shipping date of 2 weeks (in the UK) is realistic.

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
Zaty said:
Perhaps, it's not technically feasible to squash sensors and wiring into the 12". And before someone gets started on the still missing FW 800 port, there is no space for an additional port. Unfortunately, FW 800 is not backwards compatible, so it wouldn't make sense to exchange the more usable FW 400 port for a FW 800 port.

FW800 is entirely backwards compatible. Thanks for spreading misinformation, though.

~J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.