Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
What i really love about this advert is the fact that "Siri" and "iPhone 4s" are not mentioned once, this goes to show how iconic Apple is becoming people instantly know what Apples products are we don't need telling.

Yeah, cause if Samsung didn't call their phone a phone someone certainly might mistake if for a microwave.

----------

But where's the commercial with the specs, features? How else would we know this is better than the competition?

Thanks for staying classy Apple :)

This whole ad is dedicated to a feature. I think you're holding your brain wrong.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I really liked this commercial. Saw it during an NFL game and just smiled :)
To all the people over analyzing it, you have to remember its a commercial about Santa Claus. It's the Christmas season so just enjoy it don't over think it!!

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Awesome ad! WAY better than the smartass Samsung ads..:apple:

Speaking of which, do they really think they'll switch iPhone users to Samsung by insulting and attacking them??? :rolleyes:

They certainly won't switch all the creative baristas out there, but yes, it drives their point home very well.

----------

Ohh jolly good commercial would love to see it in Denmark, plz Apple Santa come by with it this year.
Or iTunes Match that would be nice to

Siri won't support danish, ever. Not only is danish impossible to synthesize, to train a machine into understanding it is beyond this world ; )

(Seasons Greetings from Sweden!)

urtext

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I cannot remember and I try very hard, but what music is used by Apple in this ad?

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
^ Santa is created by the Germans actually; the whole Santa Clause concept is from some german novelist I think.

Santa Claus wasn't created by the German. I was a derivative of the German words "Sankt Nikolaus" for St. Nicholas, which when Americans try to pronounce turned into "Santa Claus."

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Great ad!

BUT - Has anybody else used that Siri command before?
Specific emails? - I've just had a play around with it, but it's bringing up no definitive results..

Any luck?

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I really like it; great job apple! Quick question did this guy
peter_oppenheimer-150x171.jpg
Play the actor?

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
3.7 billion children in the world?

Santa only has to visit the "good" ones. ;)

----------

Siri won't support danish, ever. Not only is danish impossible to synthesize, to train a machine into understanding it is beyond this world ; )

(Seasons Greetings from Sweden!)

I think Siri will understand Danish before it can understand a rural Scotchman's version of English. :)

----------

This whole ad is dedicated to a feature. I think you're holding your brain wrong.

Very funny! :)

Really, Apple is focusing on what is a really standout feature that is wholly unique. It's how you differentiate yourself from the "wannabe iPhones."

BTW, I was on the Yahoo home page and was treated to an extremely short but powerful iPod Touch video that was aimed squarely at the teens with their MTV attention spans. It was so "on target" it made my head spin with admiration.

----------

BUT - Has anybody else used that Siri command before?
Specific emails? - I've just had a play around with it, but it's bringing up no definitive results..

Any luck?

It's a specific app. Do a search for "naughty or nice." I use it to find all the "naughty" girls.;)

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

----------

I think Siri will understand Danish before it can understand a rural Scotchman's version of English. :)

----------

Very funny! :)

Really, Apple is focusing on what is a really standout feature that is wholly unique. It's how you differentiate yourself from the "wannabe iPhones."

BTW, I was on the Yahoo home page and was treated to an extremely short but powerful iPod Touch video that was aimed squarely at the teens with their MTV attention spans. It was so "on target" it made my head spin with admiration.

0) There aren't even 3.7 bn kids on the world to begin with.
1) No way. Danish is almost impossible to comprehend for a human; it will take hundred years before a computer is smart enough to interpret it!
2) Indeed, service-based differentiation. How non-replaceable it will turn out be remains to be seen. Either way, it helps build Apples image as an innovator.

Blueflame1138

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008

----------

----------

A cute little ad.

Please remember that Scotch is a drink (whiskey)

A person from Scotland is a Scot, or is Scots

Therefore a man from Scotland is a Scotsman.

I'm English, but I know this upsets the Scots!

"Share and Enjoy":):)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I never in my life would have thought to see so many (presumably) adult arguing about Santa and how many theoretical stops he might have to make.

SERENITY NOW

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Santa was raised in America

Why does Santa have an American accent if he is from Finland?

Santa was raised in America.

----------

There's going to be a lot of dissapointed kids if Siri 'cannot connect to the network' that night!

Even if Siri cannot connect that night due to network overload, the kids are still going to be very very happy with their new iPhone 4S.

After all, they have thousands of games to download and play.

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
The iPhone will

0) There aren't even 3.7 bn kids on the world to begin with.
1) No way. Danish is almost impossible to comprehend for a human; it will take hundred years before a computer is smart enough to interpret it!
2) Indeed, service-based differentiation. How non-replaceable it will turn out be remains to be seen. Either way, it helps build Apples image as an innovator.

0. 3.7 billion includes kids AND adults. Santa gives gifts to adult too.

1. Danish is a lot easier to understand than Chinese. And the iPhone will be able to understand Chinese in the future. Therefore, Danish is just around the corner.

2. Apple's ads are fantastic. Google is scrambling to try and copy Siri despite dissing it.

----------

With 3.7 billion appointments, Santa has to travel fast.

Santa can slow down time. This is how he can visit 3.7 billion people at nearly the same time.

----------

Is Santa wearing Steve Job glasses????

Yes. Santa loves wearing $400 glasses.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
^ Apple at one time thought the same way with Business users; remember the Lemmings commercial? ;)

And Apple is just dominating the business market now, aren't they?

No, wait, they're not, and Apple learned their lesson back in 1985. Not really sure the point in defending Samsung by saying they're 26 years behind their competition.

As for the 3.7 billion appointments, I don't think the number is that far out of whack, after all. Yes, there are only 2.1 billion Christians, but add in the atheist families who treat Christmas as a secular gift-giving holiday, and all the members of the other religions living in Christian-heavy populations that have jealous kids wanting presents like all their friends get, and the number surely gets closer. As a kid, I knew several Jewish families that, even despite Hanukkah, still had Santa show up on the 25th. Today as an adult, I know plenty of non-believers who exchange gifts and have a tree. Like it or not, and personally I kind of hate it, the secular traditions of Christmas have overpowered the religious holiday and there's a lot more families celebrating Santa than there are believers in Jesus.

The real question you should be asking, is not about the number of appointments, it's why Santa's listing them one name at a time instead of per-household. That's woefully inefficient of him. Is his big sack of presents just as disorganized? When calculating how fast he needs to travel between each home, we may now need to account for the fact that he visits each house multiple times for each person living there. Also, he's not going street-by-street, but jumping between houses seemingly at random, even when they're located hundreds of miles apart. Not to mention all that time checking his list twice on Christmas morning instead of doing all that ahead of time before packing the sleigh!

Anyway, Christmas ads, especially Santa ads, usually irritate me to no end. This one actually got a chuckle out of me, especially the part about checking the weather (and discovering it's cold and snowing the whole way, poor guy).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.