Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Phil mentioned a new Aperture to take advantage of the new Mac Pro. I expect it will be released in December sometime.

Also eager to see if they release iLife updates today.

Since they did not announce them I bet they are gonna be released alongside the new Mac Pro. At least now we know when the new Aperture is coming.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Phil mentioned a new Aperture to take advantage of the new Mac Pro. I expect it will be released in December sometime.

Also eager to see if they release iLife updates today.

I just hope it's a full update of the entire app and not just a minor update.
I love Aperture - I just want noise and sharpening tools to be at LR5 Level and I am going back to Aperture.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
So how much for upgrade? All I got in my iTunes left is $15.20, is it enough? Damn Apple make this free for everyone and you would have whooped Windows ass.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Since they did not announce them I bet they are gonna be released alongside the new Mac Pro. At least now we know when the new Aperture is coming.

I am confident the update will come earlier.
I am sure it is made to take advantage of Mavericks mostly.

But this is just my opinion.

PastFuture

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Germany
I'm curious to see if the updated apps (especially the iWork ones) have kept their full set of functionality over their previous versions. At a first impression all of them seem a bit dumbed down to me.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
I wonder whether you will have to purchase these apps again, or whether if you already have them they will be upgraded for free?

----------

No I think if you buy an iPad you get the iOS apps free and vice versa when you buy a mac.

But what about upgrade paths or people who haven't bought a new iOS device... It's strange they're not just making it free. I'm looking forward to finding out!

But I'm liking how you are getting so much more for that premium Apple Price with some quality software!

And I'm still wondering whether or not they've actually upgraded iPhoto to really take advantage of iCloud so I can edit and manage my photos on the iPad and the Mac.

Time will tell...

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I am confident the update will come earlier.
I am sure it is made to take advantage of Mavericks mostly.

But this is just my opinion.

Hope so. But even in worst case, 2 more months ain't that long.

TheseGoTo11

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007

* Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
** GarageBand is free on the Mac App Store for all compatible Mac computers with OS X Mavericks. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

So, if I purchased my new iMac online on 9/24, but it wasn't available at the Apple store till 10/04, I'm out of luck?

dannywaugh1

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Seems a little harsh not making them free for all ios devices Iv got a iphone 5 and a ipad 2 and I have to pay for them..... or have i got this all wrong?

had my ipad 2 for nearly 2 years and my iphone for just under a year.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Seems a little harsh not making them free for all ios devices Iv got a iphone 5 and a ipad 2 and I have to pay for them..... or have i got this all wrong?

had my ipad 2 for nearly 2 years and my iphone for just under a year.

why? it's an incentive for people to get new hardware. They weren't free when you bought those devices originally.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Wait so if I got the new 5s that came with the iWork do I get this update free?!? Or there will be a new download? I see no update or anything available for download or purchase

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I wonder if I'll get them for free for my new work iMac (just purchased October 2). My work purchased it so it's not really "mine".

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I am still curious. I paid for the apps on iOS and on my Mac, I would be mighty disappointed if I had to pay again.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Here's to hoping that pages for iOS finally gets the ability to search for a created doc within the app. I travel with several 100 docs in pages on my iPad without any way to find a doc in a hurry. The alphabetical scrolling is to slow. Even free and cheap note apps have a search feature.

esf215

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Damn i just brought the new air in sept. I wondering if i call them if they would give me discount to get the new iWork's

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
So, how are they going to handle this? For example, I have iPhoto 11 available to download in the MAS. Are they going to maintain that and have the new version both in the MAS? Otherwise, I'll lose my copy of iPhoto since I haven't bought a new Mac. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It's not very Apple-like to keep two versions of software available.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't see either iOS or OSX versions available for download on the respective stores... just the older versions.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
So, how are they going to handle this? For example, I have iPhoto 11 available to download in the MAS. Are they going to maintain that and have the new version both in the MAS? Otherwise, I'll lose my copy of iPhoto since I haven't bought a new Mac. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It's not very Apple-like to keep two versions of software available.

I assume the old version will be removed from sale, and the new one will replace the older version in the MAS. If its a paid upgrade, they will handle this the same way they did OS X.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I am getting a bit nervous about those iWork updates. Eddy Cue pointed out that all iWork apps have full compatibility across platforms now, including iOS and the iCloud web apps. The Mac version always had a lot more features and themes though. The screenshots also show a new user interface, which looks a lot like the iWork web apps. I hope I am not right when I say that iWork may have been dumbed down on the Mac. :(

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I am getting a bit nervous about those iWork updates. Eddy Cue pointed out that all iWork apps have full compatibility across platforms, including iOS and the iCloud web app. The Mac version always had a lot more features and themes. The screenshots also show a new user interface, which looks a lot like the iWork web apps. I hope I am not right when I say that iWork may have been dumbed down on the Mac. :(

Or the other versions became more powerful?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.