Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan update to developers, one week after seeding the first beta and two weeks after releasing the first OS X El Capitan update to the public, OS X 10.11.1.

The new beta, build 15C31f, can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center and through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

10_11_2_15c31f.jpg

It is not known what improvements the second update to OS X El Capitan will bring, but it's likely to focus on bug fixes, security enhancements, and performance improvements to address issues that have been discovered since the release of OS X 10.11.1. Apple's beta 1 release notes asked developers to focus on Graphics, Mail, Wi-Fi, Calendar, USB, Notes, Photos, and Spotlight.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan Beta to Developers

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
OpenCL is now part of Metal

Okay, let me clarify: I hope this fixes OpenCL (or Metal) usage with FCPX. I had to go back to Yosemite on my 6 Core Mac Pro because of issues with FCPX and what some have said is a problem with OpenCL within FCPX.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Finished:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-03 um 19.30.32.png
Strangely the screen got black while the installation was still in progress, then a beep and a grey screen with a progress bar appeared, after that was finished it shut down my MacBook and I had to power it on again, then installation continued. Never experienced that before.

First thing i checked. Disk Utility windows is still not resizable. :(

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Will I have sound again on my 2011 mini? Will Skype become usable again? And will iTunes start in under ten minutes?

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Finished:

View attachment 597867
Strangely the screen got black while the installation was still in progress, then a beep and a grey screen with a progress bar appeared, after that was finished it shut down my MacBook and I had to power it on again, then installation continued. Never experienced that before.

Sounds like a firmware update was included.

georgB

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Europe
Finished:

View attachment 597867

Hmmm, that's reminiscent of problems with 10.11.1 - but now the UD is successful, which is a great improvement - but something's still fishy. I assume that, aside from the DU window issue, you're OK.

MacSter2011

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Hopefully this fixes whatever broke my ability to access SMB shares from two different MacBooks on win home server 2011

Reactions: inkswamp

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I just finished recovering (like reinstalling everything from scratch) this 2010 iMac that I'm typing on. I think something really went wrong with beta 1. A LOT of 10-30sec freeze-ups. I think I'll skip this beta. This iMac hadn't had a clean install since, I think, Lion, so that could have had something to do with it too, but things had been fine for years. I thought it was some program I had installed until it froze up at the login prompt. (!) That kinda convinced me that it wasn't. :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Finished:

View attachment 597867

Firmware update.
If you checked your Macs firmware before install and then after you could tell.
You can find it under Menu-Find My Mac- System report, one or both of these might have changed.
Boot ROM Version
SMC Version (system)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I just finished recovering (like reinstalling everything from scratch) this 2010 iMac that I'm typing on. I think something really went wrong with beta 1. A LOT of 10-30sec freeze-ups. I think I'll skip this beta. This iMac hadn't had a clean install since, I think, Lion, so that could have had something to do with it too, but things had been fine for years. I thought it was some program I had installed until it froze up at the login prompt. (!) That kinda convinced me that it wasn't. :)
Exactly. beta 1 of 10.11.2 nearly bricked my 2015 27" imac. broken usb ports, audio dropping out etc. Gonna wait on this one now. Yes I know it was beta (beta police) but it shouldn't be so many steps backwards and damaging if it is going to be released to the public.

Couldn't be soon enough! A lot of users had their Macs bricked (other problems, too) by 10.11.1. Let's hope .2 fixes this.
Just the exact opposite for me (and a few others)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Exactly. beta 1 of 10.11.2 nearly bricked my 2015 27" imac. broken usb ports, audio dropping out etc. Gonna wait on this one now. Yes I know it was beta (beta police) but it shouldn't be so many steps backwards and damaging if it is going to be released to the public.

Just the exact opposite for me (and a few others)

You don't brick your Mac with a software update, it might get unstable, or even unusable but you can always go back to a working Mac, and if that is the case it is not bricked.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Sounds like a firmware update was included.

A firmware update has been included for every os x update (betas and public releases) since 10.10.2.

So it is not unusual. It would be more unusual if it wasn't included.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If something is "bricked", no software in the world will help. Since it's bricked. The hardware would be useless (= as valuable as a brick).

Not completely true, you need special hardware, like a connector, to connect it to a device which will then upload new software onto the bricked device.
Example, you updated your device firmware but then the power shuts off in the middle of this process, now it is bricked, you need to connect it to some device to upload new firmware into the chip.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Finished:

View attachment 597867

Didn't you also have a new imac that had issues with the last one? If you did and try again, let us know how goes the usb ports etc.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Firmware update.
If you checked your Macs firmware before install and then after you could tell.
You can find it under Menu-Find My Mac- System report, one or both of these might have changed.
Boot ROM Version
SMC Version (system)

Yes I already looked there, but can't remember what it has been before. It's obviously a different version than the one you can download from Apple:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-03 um 20.22.58.png

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-03 um 20.23.17.png

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A firmware update has been included for every os x update (betas and public releases) since 10.10.2.

So it is not unusual. It would be more unusual if it wasn't included.

True, but it only updates the firmware if it is not the latest.
It is easy to see which firmware is in the .pkg file with pacifist (App), I just did and no new firmware for both my 2012 MM and my 2012 MBP

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
with every new OSX I always gets ton of new bugs with Adobe programs, particularly Photoshop. I don't know if Adobe is using old api's or if Apple don't care to iron out graphical driver bugs ( I suspect its a bit of both) but I hope 10.11.2 removes a few of these problems. Adobe has currently made a few workarounds, but Photoshop behaves significantly slower in El capitan than Yosemite, which is odd when everything else behaves faster....very annoying for the customers nonetheless.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
The word Beta on this site brings joy to my ears even if I have no idea what it brings...

Reactions: NMBob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.