Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Appears to have been not one bit of progress with the numerous and long-standing SMB problems. Starting to think Apple just doesn't give a rip about Macs existing on Windows networks anymore which is sad.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
For crying out loud... The 'bricked' police are out tonight.

We know what it means...

I PUNCH the "bricked" police!

DFFzBLt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DFFzBLt.jpg

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Stop using the word bricked if you don't know its meaning. :oops:

So ******* petty. I'm sure you've never used a word in an incorrect context before. I'll be sure to not post any more comments on this forum in order to avoid angering you and the rest of the "non-bricked" brigade.

And for a time, my device was rendered as useless a a brick. The device was bricked to me.

Last edited:

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Glad I turned off my beta upgrades, is nice witnessing the bricks from afar and waiting until something truly stable arrives for the general public. I got tired of restoring my bricked laptop after each of the last 3 public betas. Just not worth it to see the latest emoji a month before the rest of the world. Other than the bricking issues on install it also killed my usb audio for most of the beta period. It is still only marginally stable and I have to unplug my 27" Cinema Display every time I reboot or I cannot login.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
FWIW (probably not much), the new beta (as well as 10.11.1),
  • prints fine to my HP printer
  • has no trouble with SMB connections to both Windows server and Windows 7 Pro systems
  • is stable as a brick
  • has bugs but seemingly fewer than I was seeing with Yosemite

Reactions: Macula

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
  • has no trouble with SMB connections to both Windows server and Windows 7 Pro systems

El Capitan can connect to SMB shares but it's sloooooooooooowwwwww. For example, showing a folder listing in the Finder from a Windows 2012 share can take 2-3 minutes, even with folders where there are only a few items. Older Macs running 10.7 or Windows PC clients show the same listing in a matter of 2-3 seconds. Copying large files is similarly slow. Large files take twice as long to copy on El Capitan than on a Windows PC or older Mac.

You can connect but it's just broken. Badly. I have a group of people using Macs at my workplace and they are all pulling their hair out. It's killing their productivity.

uajafd

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2015
Strangely the screen got black while the installation was still in progress, then a beep and a grey screen with a progress bar appeared

That's a firmware update, they ship them with the OS now. Don't touch your computer and let it do its thing; I screwed up firmware updates like that twice and had to reinstall + update just to get them when I finally got the clue.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Will it fix the bug that makes PDF content disappear when you zoom in a lot with Preview? This bug even manages to crash my mid-2010 iMac if I play with zooming PDFs after such disappear threshold...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
El Capitan can connect to SMB shares but it's sloooooooooooowwwwww. For example, showing a folder listing in the Finder from a Windows 2012 share can take 2-3 minutes, even with folders where there are only a few items. Older Macs running 10.7 or Windows PC clients show the same listing in a matter of 2-3 seconds. Copying large files is similarly slow. Large files take twice as long to copy on El Capitan than on a Windows PC or older Mac.

I don't know the version of Windows Server being run here (although I could probably find out). My 2009 Mac mini with El Capitan opens an SMB share and shows all the top-level files (in this case 215 folders) in under ½ second. Similar results connecting to a Windows 7 Pro system.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That's a firmware update, they ship them with the OS now. Don't touch your computer and let it do its thing; I screwed up firmware updates like that twice and had to reinstall + update just to get them when I finally got the clue.

Nonsense, if you screw up a firmware update (nearly impossible) you can't fix it yourself, you need to send it to Apple to fix a Mac with messed up firmware.
Firmware is not installed as software on your HD/SSD, it is installed on special chips, it controls your hardware, without it or when it is damaged your Mac won't start up, and won't work anymore until new software is uploaded with special hardware to that chip, this is what is a so called "bricked" device.

Sometimes though people can do it themselves, I once had a router, I changed the firmware with open firmware, but it got bricked, opened it my self and with a special cable soldered to the board I was able to upload the normal firmware, that fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.