Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third public beta of iOS 10 to public beta testers, two weeks after releasing the second iOS 10 public beta and just a day after seeding the fourth developer beta of iOS 10. The third public beta and the fourth developer beta are identical, offering features like new emoji, revamped keyboard sounds, and more.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the third iOS 10 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on their iOS device.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and OS X betas. The video below will walk you through the necessary steps for installing the iOS 10 beta to give the new features a try. Betas are not always stable and include many bugs, so they should be installed on a secondary device.

iOS 10 includes a huge number of new features and design tweaks, like a reimagined Lock screen experience, a revamped Messages app with background animations, bubble effects, Digital Touch, a full App Store and more, and a Photos app with impressive facial, scene, and object recognition capabilities.

There's a new Home app, apps like Maps and Apple Music have been redesigned, and there are hundreds of smaller tweaks and changes in the operating system, which we cover extensively in our iOS 10 roundup.

iOS 10 is available to developers and public beta testers at the current time, with a public release planned for the fall alongside new iOS devices.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third Public Beta of iOS 10

Reactions: jjm3

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
That was, well, unexpected. Must be approaching the first GM candidate build for this to be released only 24 hours after DP. Apple must think its extremely stable.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That was, well, unexpected. Must be approaching the first GM candidate build for this to be released only 24 hours after DP. Apple must think its extremely stable.
Seems like there aren't really any particular rules when it comes to it (to release timing) these days, just when Apple feels it's good to go (be it same day, next day, a couple of days later, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: JerTheGeek

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I hope you and the other fellows excited to play with betas are reporting every single bug.

Reactions: Pruus and patjem

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Seems like there aren't really any particular rules when it comes to it these days, just when Apple feels it's good to go (be it same day, next day, a couple of days later, etc.).

I disagree. I think they are testing the DP a little harder than before, and then giving it a day in dev circles to see if devs start getting bricked or anything egregious before going public. If anything, I get the feeling they are somewhat more confident in the stability of the build in the first place than in the past. I admit, this round of betas does seem to be very solid from a stability standpoint compared to prior years.

Reactions: AirunJae and rael00

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I disagree. I think they are testing the DP a little harder than before, and then giving it a day in dev circles to see if devs start getting bricked or anything egregious before going public. If anything, I get the feeling they are somewhat more confident in the stability of the build in the first place than in the past. I admit, this round of betas does seem to be very solid from a stability standpoint compared to prior years.
So what's the disagreement about?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Tempted to load this onto my iPad. Any reason I shouldn't? I usually install betas most years but have held out this time because I've been too busy to mess around with potential issues.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I hope you and the other fellows excited to play with betas are reporting every single bug.
I'm not even running the PB yet. Waiting for until closer to the event. With that being said, I've been reporting bugs I started running betas with iOS 6.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Any truth that Facetime does not work correctly in this beta?
FaceTime reportedly works fine except with previous betas. Meaning iOS 10B4 to 9.3.3 is fine, but iOS 10B4 to B3 won't work. Same thing with macOS. Sierra B4 -> El Cap works, but not Sierra B4 -> B3.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Tempted to load this onto my iPad. Any reason I shouldn't? I usually install betas most years but have held out this time because I've been too busy to mess around with potential issues.

Not that I can think of, other than battery life has been a little weak at times on previous builds. I'm running it on my 6S Plus and iPad Pro and haven't had any major or offputting issues.

Reactions: macduke

ScooterComputer

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Any truth that Facetime does not work correctly in this beta?
The Dev4 release notes states that FaceTime doesn't work with prior BETA versions of macOS and iOS. However, considering that if b1-3 didn't work with FaceTime with iOS 9 and Mac OS X <10.12b I think we'd have heard about that, [(REDUNDANT, thanks to C DM) I'm guessing it ONLY doesn't work with the prior betas. So, yes, truth it does not work "correctly" WITH PRIOR BETAS… until further testing and confirmation. (And really, who is sticking around on b1 or b2??)]

Last edited:

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
My iPhone 6 is still running like a dream since the first public beta, very impressed.
My battery case however has been on a little more recently, but hey, its beta.
Very few bugs to ever report, but as has been said above, report them if found!

Reactions: Jamesk811

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The Dev3 release notes states that FaceTime doesn't work with prior versions of macOS and iOS. However, considering that if b1-3 didn't work with FaceTime with iOS 9 and Mac OS X <10.12b I think we'd have heard about that, I'm guessing it ONLY doesn't work with the prior betas. So, yes, truth it does not work "correctly" WITH PRIOR BETAS… until further testing and confirmation. (And really, who is sticking around on b1 or b2??)
As I recall it states perior beta versions not prior versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.