Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

errant

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Anyone have issues with the Podcasts app? I mean besides everything that's always been wrong with it.

On iPhone 4, iOs 7.0.2.

In the playback screen, start and endtimes say something about "DURATION..."

Also says something like that in episodes list. For podcasts length (after release date).

In playback/lock screen has problem reading the show or artist or whatever title that scrolls right to left. Also, the search field and what I assume is supposed to be the cancel button says something about "SEARCH_CANCEL"

Also, blue "played/not played" marker is not visible.

Almost as if they didn't finish the app before putting it up.

Sorry I can't be more specific about what exactly these things say, as I already deleted it and replaced it with the previous version before I forgot and emptied my recycle bin.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I'm still baffled at how user-unfriendly Podcasts is at downloading ALL the episodes of a podcast.

First you have to press the "Add Old Episodes" button which doesn't add them, it only displays them.

Then you have to click on each and every one, ONE at time. Then hit the ADD button. Why isn't there an ADD ALL button?

Now that only adds them to the list of podcasts, but doesn't download them!

THEN you have to click on each podcast ONE at a time to download them. It's not hard to see the need for a DOWNLOAD ALL button. Half the time I click the ↓cloud button and unintentionally start playing an episode.

I've subscribed to quite a few podcasts that had many episodes and this workflow is a serious pain-in-the-ash.

At least an advance 15sec button has finally been added.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm still baffled at how user-unfriendly Podcasts is at downloading ALL the episodes of a podcast.

First you have to press the "Add Old Episodes" button which doesn't add them, it only displays them.

Then you have to click on each and every one, ONE at time. Then hit the ADD button. Why isn't there an ADD ALL button?

THEN you have to click on each podcast ONE at a time to download them. It's not hard to see the need for a DOWNLOAD ALL button. Half the time I click the ↓cloud button and unintentionally start playing an episode.

I've subscribed to quite a few podcasts that had many episodes and this workflow is a serious pain-in-the-ash.

Have you tried playing with some Podcast app settings in the main iOS Settings app to see if any might make some difference for you?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The Podcast app is still junk, but at least it uses the iOS7 backgrounding API now so it's moderately less embarassing.

Only a little though - Apple should just fire the whole team and buy Downcast.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Go to the Settings app, then scroll all the way down to Podcasts. Has all of the settings you're looking for in there.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Me no likey the new podcast app. :(

Too much white space and razor thin barely visible dividers.

The list list of episods is over sized. Use the retina FFS and show more information at the same time, not less.

Again iOS7 going over board with the minimalism.

Rant over.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I don't so much mind the thin and flat interface on the podcasts app...but I'm not a big fan of how badging of the app for new podcasts is being handled.

It looks like the app is only badged *until* you open it and look at what's new...then it disappears.

When using the list view the pencil thin new indicators are pretty hard to distinguish. I suppose we're supposed to use the tile view - in that one the red badges are there and easy to see.

I'll take it because I like finally having the ability to check and download new podcasts on a timed interval.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Have you tried playing with some Podcast app settings in the main iOS Settings app to see if any might make some difference for you?

Go to the Settings app, then scroll all the way down to Podcasts. Has all of the settings you're looking for in there.

Thanks for that info.

I just tried it on a a podcast that I have already subscribed and downloaded a few episodes and made no difference.

I'll look for a new podcast and try it to see if there's a difference.

----------

It looks like the app is only badged *until* you open it and look at what's new...then it disappears.

I noticed that also, it's new to this version.

**EDIT** I see that indeed the old episodes are downloading automatically now that I've changed that preference setting. You still have to add episodes individually.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Apple really needs to bring iTunesU up to speed!

It's so weird that Apple has split off all these media genres into separate apps of Music, Video, Podcasts, iTunes and ITunesU. At least iTunes Radio is integrated into iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.