Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Jail Breaking is reinstalling the iOS to allow it to connect to other software not under Apple's control.

Jailbreaking doesn't reinstall iOS. It modifies iOS.

But yes, jailbreaks are reversible. So is installing an OS. :)

So, why worry about your warranty when making your own Lion DVD using the method provided in that link?

My point exactly. Apple's are not defined like this. The memory might be for the newer PCs, but when I had my black unibody Macbook, it was NOT approved.

The memory and drive are user serviceable on those MacBooks.

If the user damaged the hardware when performing the upgrade, then the warranty was void. This is the same for any computer.

But, properly doing the upgrade without damaging the hardware does not void the warranty.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I am curious, I had a usb setup with Lion DMG on it from the install where I can do a fresh install or upgrade. Now I used that same USB to install this utility and the previous dmg is kind of gone now, wtf? what did I gain out of installing this utility vs having the entire OS dmg on my usb originally?

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Already made my own with the dmg.

They should have put this in the mac store. If they are going to make you download Lion from there isn't it common sense to put this in there?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Nope, You are screwed!

ok can anyone help me?!

i did this little thing, and i put it on my 4gb flash drive that had some other files of mine on it. after i did it, my mac would not read the flash drive, and then i saw that on the apple site it said it would only show up when you restart and hold command. and when i plug it into my windows computer, it says it is not formatted, and that if i format it, all data will be erased. So is there any way i can get into my flash drive and get this lion thing off of it so i can have my files back?!

Sadly this is your reality right now. Always back up first when using any sort of disk utility.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
...this would seem to make the unofficial Lion boot disk creator unnecessary.

Actually, I think the Lion boot disk creator instructions are still extremely useful. The disk image is all in one place and I'm not relying on an Apple utility, which might be pulled from availability whenever Apple feels like it. I have used my Lion DVD (created using those instructions) on a number of machines and I am very pleased to have that option available to me. Thanks again to all those that brought that news forward and made it available to other users.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
USB Lion

So I put in my 8GB USB Drive and it erased everything on it and changed the name to "Recovery Disk."

If I ever need to re-install Lion on my iMac or Air I just put in the USB and upload it to the system from there?

PS - If I want to add other stuff to my USB can I also do that too? Or should I just leave Lion?

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Nobody mentioned yet, but this require internet connection!:cool:

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
NICE !! They just should've done this in the first place :) Well better late than never I guess

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Glad the utility exists for those less-inclined to manipulate command-line stuff.

However, similar ends can be achieved by simply dd'ing /dev/disk0s3 to an external 650+ MB GPT slice of your choosing (on a USB disk, USB key, etc). I'm not sure if it's necessary to change the partition type of the target slice to "Apple_Boot" or not (I did, just don't know if it's required). FWIW, the recovery partition -- copied from my MBA4,2 to an external USB disk -- booted in my wife's mid-2010 Macbook. (I didn't expect it to!)

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
This is idiotic. Is it so difficult to release a utility that let's you create a bootable DVD or USB drive? They force you to do thing the unofficial way, which is why I've had a bootable lion DVD since 3 weeks before lion was released.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
What's the actual application for this? Just installing Lion should you ever change your hard drive?

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
But, properly doing the upgrade without damaging the hardware does not void the warranty.

Absolutely correct. I get so tired of people making the absurd statements that Apple voids warranties if you do so much as touch anything in their precious device. You only void warranties if you break certain seals (RARE) or you break something while upgrading. Anyone that says otherwise (and especially if they claim to be an "Apple Technician") is flat out full of it. Read Applecare. It is VERY CLEAR.

This basically boils down to Apple trying to appease an upset community, but still failing to turn over control of a product they expect you to buy. If you buy an Apple System, you should receive or have access to a physical product (disks or USB, or whatever). Not access to a utility that requires you to sign in and download 4GB over an internet you may or may not have access to when you need it. Just another way Apple is controlling. Its like the hard drives in the iMac, memory in the MBA, and every other proprietary piece of hardware they release. Great products but their leaders are control freaks and its annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

KillerTree said:
Steve is not a god

He never said he was a God.

"When someone asks you if you are a god, you say YES!"

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Glad they did this. I'll re-DL Lion once 10.7.1 comes out and use my spare 2GB Stick for the Recovery. I'd go back to 10.7 (for the 3rd time) but I don't want to endure more Wi-Fi issues.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I am still a little confused. I do a bit of mac support and managing for some friends and family and right now one of the more useful tool in my digital tool box is a snow leopard installer on my external firewire drive. I made it from a retail snow leopard disc and it works like a charm for installing or reinstalling mac os x on any mac that supports snow leopard. I would love to add a Lion installer to my arsenal of mac recovery tools. Can I do that with this or will any mac I use it on be tied to my personal apple account and/or have a limited number of installs? :confused:

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Buy Lion once installed on all my computers. :)

Actually, I think MacRumors.com had a post about this kind of activity being specifically allowed in the software agreement. I'll try to find the link unless someone else can beat me to it.

Here is what apple said to me:
My name is Terry. I understand that you are wondering if you can get Lion for all of your computers. I would be more than happy to answer this question for you.

You can download Lion again for any computer as long as you are signed into your account free of charge.

You can redownload applications you have previously purchased from the Mac App Store to your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch without incurring additional charges. If you are unable to find your application in the App Store, it may have been removed and no longer available for download.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Time Machine doesn't back up external drives, plus, I sincerely doubt this individual has it set up, but you never know.

Time Machine does back up external drives by default (of course they have to be connected to your machine). You need to go into Time Machine preferences and exclude the drives you don't want backed up.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
My 1 GB 1st generation iPod Shuffle just found new life once again. It is now host to the Lion Recovery Key.

ciociosan

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Lund, Sweden
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

While I'm happy with this adjustment in policy on Apple's part, I'm even happier to see that Golson's style is gradually adapting to the general tone of MR. Nice work, mate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.