Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Am I the only one not getting the update? I had public beta profiles on both watch and phone but deleted them already. iPhone 7 is on 10.1.

Edit: Rebooting watch worked.
Edit 2: I cant believe that's a thing we have to do now once and awhile. Sounds so weird when I read it lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
It will pause the installation after the "preparing" stage if the Watch is not connected to a charger and above 50% battery level.

Correct. For some reason, it doesn't say it needs to be connected to a charger when it's downloading, like it used to do. But then, as you said, it pauses and has to be plugged in.

Attachments

• IMG_7805.PNG
    IMG_7805.PNG
    170.2 KB · Views: 130

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Interesting. Mine doesn't say that:

Neither does mine, but when it comes to actually install it pauses and tells me to put the watch on the charger.

Lemme guess... iOS beta user?

Mine definitely said to put it on the charger - and it wouldn't finish installation until I did.

I have a Series 1, on iOS 10.1 GM and I saw the same update screen. It tells me to put it on the charger when after it downloads the update and attempts to install.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
That's what I keep hearing about the S2, is the poor battery life. That was the one thing that kept me from upgrading. I know the battery is larger in the S2, but with the screen brightness and GPS, its equivalent to the first Gen Apple Watch.

Honestly its actually worse. My gen 1 was easily better, and I'm not even hard on my watch, i only get text and email notifications. Disappointed with it.

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Neither does mine, but when it comes to actually install it pauses and tells me to put the watch on the charger.

I have a Series 1, on iOS 10.1 GM and I saw the same update screen. It tells me to put it on the charger when after it downloads the update and attempts to install.

Yes, same with Series 2. The black screen when it's downloading says it doesn't need to be connected to a charger like it used to do, but like yourself, I now get the same pop up.

Attachments

• IMG_7805.PNG
    IMG_7805.PNG
    170.2 KB · Views: 71

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly its actually worse. My gen 1 was easily better, and I'm not even hard on my watch, i only get text and email notifications. Disappointed with it.

Unless it's the OS contributing to the battery decrease or screen brightness, 'Hey Siri' and possibly running applications. You could always sell it and opt back to Gen 1.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
That's what I keep hearing about the S2, is the poor battery life. That was the one thing that kept me from upgrading. I know the battery is larger in the S2, but with the screen brightness and GPS, its equivalent to the first Gen Apple Watch.

Battery life exceeds specs for me .. even using the integrated GPS for about an hour run most days. It was never claimed that the battery life of the S2 exceeded the S0. Both are spec'd for 18 hours. The bigger battery in the S2 is to compensate for the additional features (GPS, Brighter Screen). I usually wear mine about 22 hours a day and never worry about the battery.

I own both a S0 and S2 and battery life is comparable on WatchOS 3. You will have to charge either every day.

Reactions: angrytoothbrush

SantaFeNM

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Santa Fe, NM

The S2 is my first Apple Watch. I was worried about battery life, but have been pleasantly surprised. Maybe setting expectations low helped me?

I'm out all day doing physical work and at bedtime at the end of the day I usually have 48% battery life remaining. With my expectations, that's pretty good. I can wear it to bed and in the morning have it charging while I'm fixing/eating breakfast and showering, and I'm usually good to go. I've been surprised by how fast it charges.

My usage during the day is a fair amount of texts/replies, check the time fairly often, and controlling music on my iPhone that is streaming to wireless headphones, oh, and making a couple short phone calls through it.

I don't know that it's actually using the GPS unless you're doing a Workout. I haven't used that feature yet, so I don't know how much that would drain the battery.

Anyhow, that's just my experience with the S2. I've been very happy with it.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The S2 is my first Apple Watch. I was worried about battery life, but have been pleasantly surprised. Maybe setting expectations low helped me?

I'm out all day doing physical work and at bedtime at the end of the day I usually have 48% battery life remaining. With my expectations, that's pretty good. I can wear it to bed and in the morning have it charging while I'm fixing/eating breakfast and showering, and I'm usually good to go. I've been surprised by how fast it charges.

My usage during the day is a fair amount of texts/replies, check the time fairly often, and controlling music on my iPhone that is streaming to wireless headphones, oh, and making a couple short phone calls through it.

I don't know that it's actually using the GPS unless you're doing a Workout. I haven't used that feature yet, so I don't know how much that would drain the battery.

Anyhow, that's just my experience with the S2. I've been very happy with it.

I didn't have any expectations when I got my first gen (2nd hand one about 4 months ago). Couldn't believe how amazing it was, a little slow, but amazing. Way better battery life than I was reading about in reviews and on this forum.

Then I got the new one, and the whole thing is crazy fast, nicer screen for sure, but battery life is not on par I feel with the first gen. I can get to the end of the day, but then the next day I can't and my activities are the same. I'm hoping to get the patch later on today on the watch and hopefully it's a lot better.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Still not liking that you have to be on iOS 10 to get watchOS 3. But then it's probably just as well with S0 Apple Watches....

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Hooray! Now we just need pretty much every developer to make apps that load within a meaningful amount of time. So far they're few and far in between.

angrytoothbrush

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
It's exactly the same. Very annoying. It's actually what annoys me the most in my daily use of the watch

A restart fixed this for me... I know its weird but I havent had this problem since I did that.

... after this I have noticed anytime I think I am seeing any scroll related issues... its actually my arm hair getting caught in the crown wheelo_O:D... Just throwing it out there FYI.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.