Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

35998.png.jpeg
Apple has sent reminders to App Store developers that the annual shutdown of iTunes Connect is scheduled to take place from Friday, December 21, 2012 to Friday, December 28th, 2012.

iTunes Connect is the portal for developers to submit app updates and changes. As a result, no new apps, app updates or price changes will be reflected in the App Store during that time.
We strongly recommend that you do not schedule any pricing changes in iTunes Connect that would take effect between Friday, December 21, 2012 and Friday, December 28, 2012. Pricing changes scheduled to take effect during this date range will not be reflected on the App Store and your app or In-App Purchase will become unavailable for purchase until after the shutdown.

We also recommend that you do not schedule any apps to go live during the shutdown. Releases scheduled with a start date between Friday, December 21, 2012 and Friday, December 28, 2012 will not go live on the App Store until after the shutdown.
As a result of the shutdown deadline, a large number of App developers have been cutting prices today as they compete for top ranking on the App Store Top Charts during the lucrative Christmas sales period.

Article Link: Apple Reminds Developers of App Store Freeze During Holidays

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
App store app freeze = end of the world.
you see, the app store won't come back. ever. there will be a catastrophic problem and all apps will be deleted off apple's servers.

apple will lose stock and go bankrupt.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Good time for them to fix the slow App Store with iOS 6! Though, I doubt they will.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Still baffles me that Apple cant afford to keep it open. I'm pretty sure there would be a fair few review staff that would be happy to keep working, especially any that dont celebrate anything this time of year.

----------

Can we still get daily reports or is the whole thing down for that week?

You cant even log in. It's completely shut down for the week. Here's the full email as MR dont seem to be showing it:

iTunes Connect will be temporarily shut down from Friday, December 21, 2012 to Friday, December 28, 2012. During this shutdown, the following functionality will be unavailable:

Access to iTunes Connect and iTunes Connect Mobile
Delivery of any apps or updates
Additionally, the following will be delayed:

Releases scheduled to appear on the App Store for the first time
Pricing changes scheduled through the interval pricing system in iTunes Connect
We strongly recommend that you do not schedule any pricing changes in iTunes Connect that would take effect between Friday, December 21, 2012 and Friday, December 28, 2012. Pricing changes scheduled to take effect during this date range will not be reflected on the App Store and your app or In-App Purchase will become unavailable for purchase until after the shutdown.

We also recommend that you do not schedule any apps to go live during the shutdown. Releases scheduled with a start date between Friday, December 21, 2012 and Friday, December 28, 2012 will not go live on the App Store until after the shutdown.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Still baffles me that Apple cant afford to keep it open. I'm pretty sure there would be a fair few review staff that would be happy to keep working, especially any that dont celebrate anything this time of year.

Apple isn't shutting off the app stores.

They just won't be reviewing any new apps or updated apps while the employees are on vacation.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Apple isn't shutting off the app stores.

They just won't be reviewing any new apps or updated apps while the employees are on vacation.

I know...shockingly I did read the email, and have gone through this for a few years now ;)

I meant there is no reason why they have to shut down iTunes connect and app reviews.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Still baffles me that Apple cant afford to keep it open.

Why? Apple has to shut the store down for hours when they only update one product.

Maybe they should buy Amazon and be able to dynamically update millions of products in real time.
Back to the future.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why? Apple has to shut the store down for hours when they only update one product.

Maybe they should buy Amazon and be able to dynamically update millions of products in real time.
Back to the future.

I think they do that more for marketing reasons than because of technical ones.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
What about those of us who celebrate or don't "the holidays" at another time of the year?

You are in the minority. There is not enough money to be made in the minority. Follow the money. Just think of this as a massive sale that happens in the later part of December.

Last edited by a moderator:

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Things have been on sale most of this week but don’t be surprised to see prices go up right before the freeze.

In the past the freeze locks in sales locations so most major companies will use sales to climb the charts and then right before the lock-in they will raise prices back up.

It would be nice if apple didn’t lock up the charts so companies couldn’t do this but ohh well.

BTW: Bracket Maker is always .99c no price tricks here!
/end promo ;)

johnkountz

Nov 3, 2007
USA
AppStore shutdown is, well, stupid

I run a small Software Development Company, we have three (3) App's in the Apple Store.

We are receiving reports that Customers are unable to make InApp purchases, our in-house tests have verified this to be the case. We had no price changes, app updates, or InApp changes for two weeks, so there's nothing we did to cause this.

At the same time, we are unable to Manage our Customer feedback and Sales information, we've been locked out of iTunes Connect so we can't see what Sales we are having. This was definitely NOT the case last year, we checked sales on a daily basis.

Oh how we miss you Steve Jobs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.