Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Amazon cannot guarantee you've read the book neither can apple guarantee that you have not used the app on a friends iphone or happened to have the developer as your roommate and seen all the flaws of the app. In any case everyone has a right to opine and it's a matter of their responsibility where and how they got to experience the item under review. Amazon just wants more information on a item (especially in the old days when they did not have the look in option in a book) irregardless of how the person reviewing got it so they can enable you to choose out of the 10000's of titles they have, you are going to buy anyway. Apple on the other hand seem to think that bad reviews or reviews pointing to a free item will impact negatively on the sale and hence they make the reviewing difficult be letting only those who have bought the app review. That to me is bad for the consumer. As a great comment here went, how about them removing all the five star reviews from the developers themselves.

Give me break, I used caps from empasis I did not shout in your ear, I am not bothered by caps when used spearingly, so If you are DON'T READ THEM. You 've missed the points I made completely, they flew over you, I suggest you re-read what I wrote and make more of an effort to understand my point of view. It's not a matter if you can or cannot buy an app or a book elsewhere, even if you bought the book elsewhere the fact that you are reviewing for amazon and letting that become property of amazon means that you want to take part in the amazon reviewing community and this is what amazon want to enable you to. The fact that you cannot buy an app elsewhere DOES NOT mean that you cannot be familiar and have an opinion about it in any 100s of ways that may have come about. Unless you can equate "buying an item"="having a valid opinion on it" your argument doesn't hold ground at all. Apple is wrong in doing that. If I have an opinion on an item and I want to express it they should allow me. Paying 20 $ for a 0.9 app that will buy you twenty reviews or so, and the developper can then easily ridge the system by submitting all 20 of them positive ones. So? So, nothing. So to me their decision to ban non paid reviews is a. not going to impact much or b. impact on a negative way for the buying public. If someone has a valid point to make and writes a good review then they should let all reviews in and make me the judge of who is making sense or not, having bought the app doesnt mean you are going to write a valid review - this is just a way to appease developpers, have more sales and generally higher rated apps, but ALSO a way to disable the buyers from making a correct choice by barring diversity in the reviews. Of course it seems you won't understand this time around either, but I wouldn't really expect you to.

I read your comment and you're missing one big point. This isn't some freedom of the press issue - Apple owns and operates the App Store - they can decide whatever the heck they want to put on there. Apple is simply guaranteeing the "developper" a fair shake from the iPhone/iPod Touch community. Apple is not doing anything to bad reviews - they are just not going to let you get on there and complain about an app because you don't like the price or the screen shots make it seem worthless or you think you have a better app. When was the last time a movie critic wrote a review based on a trailer? Yeah, never. It's called being responsible and Apple is doing what it can to prevent irresponsible people from taking advantage of the system. (It's much harder to kick out developer friendly reviews as there isn't some tag that would let them know that so they'd have to go through and actually read every single review of every single app - that's never going to happen).

EDIT - how exactly is the "developper" going to "ridge" the system? You think they are going to go and create 20 different accounts, all with different credit cards and then buy their app 20 different times (this costs them money seeing as how Apple gets 30% of the profit) just to produce 20 reviews that in the end are going to have a marginal % impact? You're reaching, a lot...

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
BTW, regarding iTunes in general, am I just not able to find it, or does it not have a simple 'wishlist' feature?

Yeah that's always annoyed me. You can do it for music, but not apps (for music just create a Wishlist playlist and add the 30-second previews to it.)

EDIT: For apps of course you can always bookmark them on appbeacon.com or a similar service.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
Now if they could just figure out a way to remove all those 5 star ratings that are obviously posted by the developer themselves.

Yes, I've noticed this myself. It's funny to see the first batch of reviews for a new app which are usually all 5-star ratings with glowing reviews. Then a day or two later, you start seeing the 2-3 star reviews. How does that happen?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Another thing I love is when people give an app a glowing review yet rate it one star. I have a couple of those on some of my apps.

My favorite review I've read for an app was a review given to the original AppSaber. The person claimed he expected an actual lightsaber to come out through the headphone jack and since it didn't he was giving it only 1 star. Funny to read, but I bet that pissed the dev off!

jayman99

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
it's about time apple. why would you even allow that in the first place? and how did it take this long? disappointed. this should have been in place from the start. unprofessional. how can you allow someone to rate something without having purchased? major slip.

whichweather

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Yup. This is a much bigger problem than it seems. The default should be no stars, and not allowed to submit. In a hurry it's way too easy to select the default of 1 star, and really bring down the average, even if you love the app and wrote a favorable review.

:) - im with you 100% of the way here - GREAT idea!
now... if apple only listened to your voice :rolleyes:

and while we've got there attention - give us an updated imac SOON!;)

wekes

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Agreed. No freedom of the press issue here at all. I think it's a smart move.

Highland

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2003
Australia
Along with the removing the reviews, has anyone seen the average rating gone up or down?
I'm fairly sure the ratings have changed too (they seem to for our apps).

Another thing I love is when people give an app a glowing review yet rate it one star. I have a couple of those on some of my apps.
Yeah, that's something that should be resolved soon. It's very easy to do by mistake.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Yup. This is a much bigger problem than it seems. The default should be no stars, and not allowed to submit. In a hurry it's way too easy to select the default of 1 star, and really bring down the average, even if you love the app and wrote a favorable review.

The problem you suggest would statistically affect all applications and ratings the same and therefore, wouldn't be a problem.

ruftytufty

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Good move by Apple. I also would like them to show the version of the app that was current when the review was made. In reading them, many are complaining about a feature or bug that is fixed in the current version.

Ditto - if anyone else feels this way, please make a suggestion at the Apple iphone feedback page. I've already done so.

I also think it would be better if they provided a rating for the current version, plus all-time rating, as versiontracker does. Many apps start out rocky, but improve rapidly.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
probably a good idea and a good time to remove them. i am glad that you can only review those apps that you've actually bought/downloaded. makes sense

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
True! But you could say the same for apps. Several friends have iPhones, so, I often ask if they got any cool new apps to show me. I can sometimes play around with an app without buying it.

When you really think about it though, the only place you can legally get an iPhone app is from the App Store. Therefore, if your iTunes account hasn't purchased the app, you don't really have much argument for having used the app, unless, as you said, you played with it on someone else's phone, or you have it on your phone and obtained it in a less-then-legal way.

Music/video reviews are different, because very little of it is not accessible from another medium... I'm not saying I think its right, but I can see the point of leaving the music/video reviews open...

Prenvo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes, I've noticed this myself. It's funny to see the first batch of reviews for a new app which are usually all 5-star ratings with glowing reviews. Then a day or two later, you start seeing the 2-3 star reviews. How does that happen?

Actually developers don't have access to the review system what-so-ever: although they could post a fake review using their own iTunes account, they'd need to create separate iTunes accounts (each with billing information) to post more than one fake review.

My app has mostly 5 star reviews and it's pretty frustrating when I get a random person - who could have fixed their problem with a quick email to me - who posts a 1-star review saying something like "Ignore the other reviews: they're clearly all fake" and such.

Bear in mind that a small developer with a lot of friends with iPhone (quite likely) or a huge developer with lots of staff working on the app would pretty easily post favorable (not really fake) reviews - hopefully that answers your "two days later" question :p

PCFan

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
I've also seen 1-star reviews that start with "This is the BEST app I ever got!!11!!11!!!" :confused:

I wish they'd do the same in the iTunes Store. You can't realistically review a song based a 30-second preview. Only those who buy the song or album should be able to rate them.

No that's stupid because maybe I bought the CD in stores and want to review it on the iTunes store? I could get music and movies in many other places.
As for the apps, what Apple did is good because they're available in the App Store only.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
To me, 3 stars seemed to be a good app. 3.5 stars would return a very good app. The system is not that ideal.

mstream2008

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
New improvements, good job!

New improvements have been made today.
App Store now displays a date and a version number with each review. Reviews for the current version are separated from the rest.
Average rating is calculated both for the current version and for all versions.

Good change! Have been waiting a lot for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.