Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Apple have never released an iPad with 1GB, as far as I'm aware.

The minimum storage is 16GB. You wouldn't even fit iOS on 1GB, let alone add anything else.
He'll talking RAM. The pitiful 1G of RAM in iPad Air is causing it to lag very far behind already. the Air refreshes safari tabs like it's treading water, and it's not getting the nice multitasking either. Only a full, or someone REALLY looking to stretch their money, would buy an iDevice with only 1Gig of RAM.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Mostly, since there was only a 25% increase in cpu power versus the usual 100% from every other chip since. Also, there was only a 50% increase in gpu power versus the 600% from the A5 and 100% from the A6 and A7. Which is why I believe from now on they will concentrate on larger increases in cpu and gpu power for odd-numbered A-chips to go along with the "S" releases in iPhones, and efficiency improvements in even-numbered A-chips to compensate for the likely increases in display resolution for the iPhone 7 and 7+ next year.
Compare with A4, A8 is a huge difference, of course. However, its difference between A8 and A7 is so...well, we cannot see a huge performance difference between A7 and A8.

Um, this makes me feel frustrating. According to this, which pattern should we better follow when trying to buy Apple iDevices? If they improve performance in odd number A-chip, and improve efficiency in even number A-chip, could I say odd is for processing performance lover while even is for overall performance lover? Processing performance preferable user mainly concentrate on A-chip processing power. Overall performance preferable user will take energy efficiency into account, which means they prefer using less power on doing the same thing.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Compare with A4, A8 is a huge difference, of course. However, its difference between A8 and A7 is so...well, we cannot see a huge performance difference between A7 and A8.

Um, this makes me feel frustrating. According to this, which pattern should we better follow when trying to buy Apple iDevices? If they improve performance in odd number A-chip, and improve efficiency in even number A-chip, could I say odd is for processing performance lover while even is for overall performance lover? Processing performance preferable user mainly concentrate on A-chip processing power. Overall performance preferable user will take energy efficiency into account, which means they prefer using less power on doing the same thing.
People who value performance over design will usually choose the odd-numbered A-chips (or "S" devices) while those who love the new designs will not mind the marginal improvements on even-numbered A-chips.

Reactions: moderately

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
People who value performance over design will usually choose the odd-numbered A-chips (or "S" devices) while those who love the new designs will not mind the marginal improvements on even-numbered A-chips.
So, this is Apple's product development pattern. Intel introduce new CPU in a Tick-Tock basis. They introduce new architecture in a year (maybe even or odd), and improve the performance in the next year.
For user, things may be simple: Choose the preferable element in a product (performance or design, for Apple), and chase after this element update to buy new products.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
So, this is Apple's product development pattern. Intel introduce new CPU in a Tick-Tock basis. They introduce new architecture in a year (maybe even or odd), and improve the performance in the next year.
For user, things may be simple: Choose the preferable element in a product (performance or design, for Apple), and chase after this element update to buy new products.
That's funny because I was just thinking about Intel's tick-tock strategy. It's one that works really well for them, so I can see why Apple would want something similar.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That's funny because I was just thinking about Intel's tick-tock strategy. It's one that works really well for them, so I can see why Apple would want something similar.
In general, keeping a pattern to proceed is often a good idea because this could keep a relatively steady speed to move, rather than just chasing after something, whether quickly or slowly.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
In general, keeping a pattern to proceed is often a good idea because this could keep a relatively steady speed to move, rather than just chasing after something, whether quickly or slowly.
Yep, I agree. It helps them buy time for each release, just like the "S" models have done so far.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Apple has destroyed iPad Mini 1st gen with updates. I use mine for some serious stuff like fighting off flies, beer coaster and my favorite - support stand for my rMBP. Gj Apple.
My Mini gen 1 works quite well in 8.3. Much more snap and smoothness than 8.1 or 8.2 and Airdrop works in a more consistent manner.

Reactions: benji888

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
"Hard sell" ?? It sold more than the iPad mini 3 and mini 2 in Quarter 4 of last year. Don't think sales went down till apple started fiddling with the manufacturing quantities this year.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Sadly it is still being used in the iPod Touch and the Apple TV 3.

It looks like a shortsighted profit oriented decision to sell outdated devices for such a long time. I don't know how this will work out for future iOS versions. They will get iOS9. But after that? A5 iPads/iPhones/iPods have a huge marketshare that can't be easily cut off.

There are around 24-27 percent of iPad users on the iPad 2, 20-22 percent on the Mini 1 and 10 percent on the iPad 3 so yes a huge market share.

More in response to the other poster, apple is now allowing app developers to seocific a7 as a minimum so high end games can be developed with out A5 support. Apple should support the A5 devices as long as they possibly can, it's better environmentally and it's better for people (like myself) who can't afford a new iPad :p

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
How come iPad Mini 2 and iPad mini 3 still exist together? $100 bump just for touch ID. That's a massive rip-off to your customer.

Yeah I agree. I was certain that the mini 1 was going to hang around until October for some differentiation in the mini line, as two nearly identical iPads is a pretty terrible lineup. Shame the mini 1 wasn't sold with an A6 professor....

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah I agree. I was certain that the mini 1 was going to hang around until October for some differentiation in the mini line, as two nearly identical iPads is a pretty terrible lineup. Shame the mini 1 wasn't sold with an A6 professor....
One thing I feel really confused: Why Apple ship A5 rather than A6? Apple plans its obsolescene, through deploying outdated hardware. I think this is the only thing which could make any sense.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There are around 24-27 percent of iPad users on the iPad 2, 20-22 percent on the Mini 1 and 10 percent on the iPad 3 so yes a huge market share.

More in response to the other poster, apple is now allowing app developers to seocific a7 as a minimum so high end games can be developed with out A5 support. Apple should support the A5 devices as long as they possibly can, it's better environmentally and it's better for people (like myself) who can't afford a new iPad :p
So, Apple has done this heavily rumored move. Next update, would be another huge drop of various devices.
What I guess is A6 might be dropped with A5 as well.
There is another thing I take care about. Apple didn't release the roadmap of their hardware, even in this wwdc. This is interesting because Intel releases their roadmap more often than Apple. And through roadmap, users could expect the performance Intel will deliver, in the upcoming one or two decades.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Huh, I hadn't noticed the replies preceding me, except for yours on the page I was looking at. That's what happens when the forum software only allows the default 25 posts per page and none more :)
However I think the real reason is most people will not read every single post before posting their reply, especially those have more than 5 pages.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Why Apple ship A5 rather than A6?
I would like to know why the mini 3 has an A7 and not an A8.
However I think the real reason is most people will not read every single post before posting their reply, especially those have more than 5 pages.
I agree, reading long news threads is tedious, but it would certainly help if I could get 40 posts per page back. It was only on page 3 when I replied, so not 5+ pages long yet.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would like to know why the mini 3 has an A7 and not an A8.

I agree, reading long news threads is tedious, but it would certainly help if I could get 40 posts per page back. It was only on page 3 when I replied, so not 5+ pages long yet.
I bet Apple is capable of shipping iPad mini first generation with A6 chip and keep most things identical with iPad 2.
Yes, I also feel confused. Why Apple ship A7 to iPad mini 3 and still sell it at a premium price? iPad mini 3 without A8 is, uh, unacceptable.
Talking about posts each page could display, forum program should provide this function to let users choose their preferred posts they want to review in one page. Lots of forum programs I have seen does not support this function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.