Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
A couple of things to note.

1. Apple did you a favor by taking back a phone that they did not sell you. They are under no obligation to honour another company's warranty.

2. How they do that is entirely up to them. They met their obligation by replacing a phone. They have no obligation to you to replace the accessories or the box it came in.

3. What would you have them do with the accessories and the box? Can they resell those things after you've opened it?

4. Apple replacements come in a white box. It's been this way for a very long time and it's how they do things. The phones in the white boxes are actually a mix of refurb and new. Whatever you get is dependent on the luck of the draw.

5. Apple refurbs are as good as if not better than new. When Apple refurbs an iPhone they strip it, give it an entirely new shell and replace any parts with new parts if they fail under testing. When they're done with that Apple runs the phone through the same battery of tests as the new phones. You got what you perceive to be a set of bad phones one after the other. Apple makes a gazillion phones at a time and there are always some defects. Which leads to number 6.

6. You should have examined the replacement in store and pointed out your problems to the Genius right then. There would have been no denying it and the Genius would most likely have opened another box until you were satisfied. There are plenty of stories here on MR of people going through 8 or 9 boxes before they finally got what was acceptable to them. You walked out.

I will grant you that Apple has some jerks working for them and that you've been treated poorly customer service wise. But, again Apple chose to help you when they didn't have to. Your problem was with a third party store. You really are at the mercy of Apple's good graces at this point.

5. Cannot be true, or the OP would not be complaining. The phone was not recased.

----------

If his/her replacement phone had dents in it They didn't do a very good job did they.

I think people have the illusion that Apple recases all the iphones before sending them back as refurbs. This case proves otherwise.

----------

I feel for your situation.

1. I think you will find most iphones have a loose power button, mine does, but once it goes into a case you do not notice.

2. you have the right to have a product you are happy with.

3. within the 2 weeks you should have got a new one.

4. refurbs are a lottery, do not believe that they are better than new. As you have just learned.

5. its interesting how far you got through the process with exchanging the unit, given its in your mothers name ;)

6. can you get your old unit back? I would get you mum to call carphone warehouse and deal with them to replace the unit.

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Power button rattle is normal.
You should of stuck with your original phone and you'd not be in this situation now.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
Power button rattle is normal.
You should of stuck with your original phone and you'd not be in this situation now.
But OP said the genius in the Apple store told him that he had never heard of the rattling issue before.. Even if it would be a normal issue, it would surprise me that guy has never ever heard about it in the store.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IWhen I took off the protective plastic I noticed that the back and sides of the phone were marked with little dings and scratches. After a little google search I discovered that apple routinely replace their consumer's defective products with open box returns that are reformatted and reboxed, and also with refurbished phones / parts.
FWIW, the refurbished iDevices that Apple uses for warranty replacements (and sells on their online store) come with a brand-new exterior shell and a brand-new battery.

Considering that folks have been posting for years about brand-new iPhones coming out of the box with dings and scratches, it's not surprising to hear that a refurbished iPhone with a brand-new exterior shell made it through with some dings and scratches.

IMO, that is disappointing and unacceptable, but not indicative that Apple's retooled their iDevice refurb process to simply reformat/wipe off open-box returns and use them 'as is' for warranty replacements.

In fact I had not even been been made aware I was signing a list of T&C at all.
Below is a literal cut 'n paste from a Work Authorization form that I signed on Monday when I had my iPhone repaired at the Genius Bar.

Why would you sign anything that you didn't understand or be confused by any of the points below? :eek:

By signing below, I agree that:

• the Repair Terms and Conditions on the reverse side of this page will apply to the service of the product identified above;

• Apple is not responsible for any loss, corruption, or breach of the data on my product during service; and

• as loss of data may occur as a result of the service, it is my responsibility to make a backup copy of my data before bringing my product to Apple for service

• goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think people have the illusion that Apple recases all the iphones before sending them back as refurbs. This case proves otherwise.
Folks have been receiving brand-new (i.e. straight off the Chinese assembly line) iPhones/iPads/Macs that come out-of-the-box with dents and scratches.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...and++new++iphone+dent+scratch&rls=en&safe=off

3. within the 2 weeks you should have got a new one.
The OP had FOUR WEEKS to return his iPhone back to the original point of purchase (Car Warehouse) and get a new one. :confused:

Instead of doing that, he took it to Apple (who did not sell him this phone) for warranty service, which clearly states that replacements may be refurbished.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
This case is OPs fault. Why would he not return the phone to carphone warehouse and get a full refund?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This case is OPs fault. Why would he not return the phone to carphone warehouse and get a full refund?
Their reason:
but as my mum is the account holder she would have to do this herself, not practical given that she works full time and is hundreds of miles away in a different part of the UK. I would be without my phone for at least a week if this was to be an option.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
1. Apple did not do him a favor. They warrant their products regardless of seller.

2. A 2 week old phone gets replaced with a new one. Period.

Apple gives the manufacturer's warranty. But if the seller gives any warranty in addition to that, that has nothing to do with Apple. So if the seller promised a new phone within 4 weeks, you need to go to the seller because Apple has no reason to do this.

A two week old phone is a used phone. Gets replaced with a refurbished phone. Which will be as good as a new phone, except that it is used. Like the phone he is replacing.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This would have seriously annoyed me too. At the end of the day, Apple make the damned phones and the Carphone Warehouse would still have ended up returning the defective one to Apple, and giving you a new one (which Apple would have ended up crediting to CPW).

You'll know the score next time.

In the UK, any contract is between you and the seller, not between you and the manufacturer. The poster isn't Apple's customer. Carphone Warehouse sold the phone and made money doing so, which is money that would have been in Apple's pocket if it had been bought from Apple. So a Carphone Warehouse customer is treated as "case of manufacturer's warranty". An Apple customer is treated as "case of manufacturer's warranty for the device of a valued customer, who has additional legal rights for being a customer, and will be treated better than legally required for being a valued customer".

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
A couple of things to note.

1. Apple did you a favor by taking back a phone that they did not sell you. They are under no obligation to honour another company's warranty.

You do realize that Apple makes the iPhone right? By law Apple is obligated to resolve issues customers have within the warranty period for their product, the warranty is through Apple.

2. How they do that is entirely up to them. They met their obligation by replacing a phone. They have no obligation to you to replace the accessories or the box it came in.

They did not meet their obligation by replacing the phone. They replaced a defective device with a defective device.

3. What would you have them do with the accessories and the box? Can they resell those things after you've opened it?

It doesn't matter.

4. Apple replacements come in a white box. It's been this way for a very long time and it's how they do things. The phones in the white boxes are actually a mix of refurb and new. Whatever you get is dependent on the luck of the draw.

Correct.

5. Apple refurbs are as good as if not better than new. When Apple refurbs an iPhone they strip it, give it an entirely new shell and replace any parts with new parts if they fail under testing. When they're done with that Apple runs the phone through the same battery of tests as the new phones. You got what you perceive to be a set of bad phones one after the other. Apple makes a gazillion phones at a time and there are always some defects. Which leads to number 6.

Correct.

6. You should have examined the replacement in store and pointed out your problems to the Genius right then. There would have been no denying it and the Genius would most likely have opened another box until you were satisfied. There are plenty of stories here on MR of people going through 8 or 9 boxes before they finally got what was acceptable to them. You walked out.

I will grant you that Apple has some jerks working for them and that you've been treated poorly customer service wise. But, again Apple chose to help you when they didn't have to. Your problem was with a third party store. You really are at the mercy of Apple's good graces at this point.

I will agree that the OP's obsession with getting a "new" phone makes no sense whatsoever.

There is no material difference between a refurb phone and a brand new one. They have the same warranty, are in the same condition, and function the same, and have the same likleyhood of defects.

In fact many white box phones that Apple uses as replacements are brand new.

The phone you received with scratches was not scratched by a customer. It was scratched by a manufacturing plant worker. I've gotten a brand new scratched iPad before, and the defects with the home button are as likely to happen with a new or white box phone.

Why don't you just ask Apple to go through a few white box models until you find one that works?

Again Apple white box phones are not defective or deficient in any way, they have brand new outsides, full warranties, and either new or less than two week used circuit boards and batteries.

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Kind of your fault, you should of got with the dealer you bought it from first. Most carriers offer a 14-30 Day Money back guarantee / exchange on defective devices.

I have exchanged several devices and have always signed after i was given the replacement phone, Apple does not force you to take the Refurbished unit they give you, you have the right to inspect it and accept/deny the replacement, if you didn't like the condition you should of told them.

As for the rattling issue, that is normal. Some people are so anal about the smallest things. :D

----------

You do realize that Apple makes the iPhone right? By law Apple is obligated to resolve issues customers have within the warranty period for their product, the warranty is through Apple.

They did not meet their obligation by replacing the phone. They replaced a defective device with a defective device.

It doesn't matter.

Correct.

Correct.

I will agree that the OP's obsession with getting a "new" phone makes no sense whatsoever.

There is no material difference between a refurb phone and a brand new one. They have the same warranty, are in the same condition, and function the same, and have the same likleyhood of defects.

In fact many white box phones that Apple uses as replacements are brand new.

The phone you received with scratches was not scratched by a customer. It was scratched by a manufacturing plant worker. I've gotten a brand new scratched iPad before, and the defects with the home button are as likely to happen with a new or white box phone.

Why don't you just ask Apple to go through a few white box models until you find one that works?

Again Apple white box phones are not defective or deficient in any way, they have brand new outsides, full warranties, and either new or less than two week used circuit boards and batteries.

Apple does not replace any used device with a new device unless that model just launched and there is no refurbished stock.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

That old chestnut, blame the manufacturing plant worker. You have no idea how it was scratched. That is the only fact.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Folks have been receiving brand-new (i.e. straight off the Chinese assembly line) iPhones/iPads/Macs that come out-of-the-box with dents and scratches.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...and++new++iphone+dent+scratch&rls=en&safe=off

The OP had FOUR WEEKS to return his iPhone back to the original point of purchase (Car Warehouse) and get a new one. :confused:

Instead of doing that, he took it to Apple (who did not sell him this phone) for warranty service, which clearly states that replacements may be refurbished.

Amen! Perfect explanation!:apple:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

I think you're missing the point of him putting his trust in Apples Customer service.

It would have been nice of them to say "by the way, we only replace hardware here with refurbs if you bought it from a third party, is that ok?"

Especially as its a two week old phone. Would have been nice to get some proper advice.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Wrong.

Depends on the country. So please don't speak for everyone how the warranty works.

If your from the UK, like the OP than you should really know better.

----------

Amen! Perfect explanation!:apple:

Read what the OP wrote!!!!! The explanation is incorrect.

The two year contract in this case is with??? Its all there, the OP explained it.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
I got some issues when I got my iphone 5. They were going to give me a refurbished unit, but I was like.. That seems rather unfair I just paid $1000 yesterday for a new phone. my case then got escalated to a senior advisor who seemed to be very understanding and put me through to the customer relation department, where they agreed to send me a brand new phone in a retail box and they would arrange a pickup for the phone I was having problems with.

I did this over the phone. It occurs to me that Apple stores except probably those in the US are generally not as good as people you speak over the phone. I would recommend you to phone apple and explain the situation. You should get a chance to speak to a senior advisor and get this sorted.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
One thing we do not know the full story on is how the OP acting to the Apple employees. The sense of entitlement and wanting to find a way to get something that he is not entitled to (at least from an Apple store) may have changed the way he acted to employees. IF that is the case, they may have been less likely to bend the rules for him.

Of course, this is all speculation based on the evidence that has been presented.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Another thing to note: As far as I saw last time I was at Apple Store, they are not doing any repairs on the spot for 5S yet. (correct me if I'm wrong as its been little over a months since last time I was in Apple Store and overheard a Genius tell customer that they aren't doing the repairs yet)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That old chestnut, blame the manufacturing plant worker. You have no idea how it was scratched. That is the only fact.
Hey now, be nice. Based on the only fact that the OP's refurb was scratched, you came to the conclusion that his iPhone wasn't put into a new exterior shell (when you have no idea). :p

5. Cannot be true, or the OP would not be complaining. The phone was not recased.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
I got some issues when I got my iphone 5. They were going to give me a refurbished unit, but I was like.. That seems rather unfair I just paid $1000 yesterday for a new phone. my case then got escalated to a senior advisor who seemed to be very understanding and put me through to the customer relation department, where they agreed to send me a brand new phone in a retail box and they would arrange a pickup for the phone I was having problems with.

I did this over the phone. It occurs to me that Apple stores except probably those in the US are generally not as good as people you speak over the phone. I would recommend you to phone apple and explain the situation. You should get a chance to speak to a senior advisor and get this sorted.

You have to understand that Apple will go above and beyond when you actually purchase the device from them, but when you purchase from other sources, they will most likely only honor white box replacements because items purchased from other sources = Apple takes a huge loss (due to them selling it for wholesale price to the vendor) vs Items sold by Apple it self.

----------

One thing I don't get is why people complain soo much despite having it soo good from Apple..I don't know a single other company out there that does this much for clients (give on the spot replacements).

But I guess its never enough...everyone always wants "More".

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Hey now, be nice. Based on the only fact that the OP's refurb was scratched, you came to the conclusion that his iPhone wasn't put into a new exterior shell (when you have no idea). :p

I think its rich to come to a conclusion that an Assembly worker scratched the unit. Its like blaming the cleaners everytime something goes missing in the office, its not on.

Please feel free to provide me with some sort of evidence that all refurbs get a new shell. No one has been able to do it. I have looked on Apple.com and no where does it say they replace the shells, it just states that all units are tested thoroughly before being offered as refurbs. So as I stated, I am happy to be proven wrong and everyone is adamant they replace the shells.

My question is, why would apple replace the shell on all iphones that are returned. This makes no sense, a large majority would comeback in perfect condition, Apple would only replace the ones ones that have defects or scratches.

I have received refurb laptops from Apple, and frankly it was a lottery, some were like brand new, while others had tiny bit of wear, which I accepted.

This is what I am referring to
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/refurbfaq_popup

And the only point that would suggest a new casing would be
1. is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.

Though from my understanding the serial number is on the Sim tray, which would mean they replace the trays.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If his/her replacement phone had dents in it They didn't do a very good job did they.
No, they did not. How's that? I'm agreeing with you. :D

On the other hand they have and continue to do a very good job on many other units. My refurb replacement of my iPhone 5 that I got in November 2012 is magnitudes better then the launch day iPhone 5 I got ON launch day (Sept. 21, 2012).

In fact, the only way to tell that my iPhone was a refurb when I got it was by holding the bottom of the phone up to hard direct light so you could see that the inside of the tiny little screws there have missing paint.

Just because the OP had some bad luck with his replacements does not make every refurb bad.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
No, they did not. How's that? I'm agreeing with you. :D

On the other hand they have and continue to do a very good job on many other units. My refurb replacement of my iPhone 5 that I got in November 2012 is magnitudes better then the launch day iPhone 5 I got ON launch day (Sept. 21, 2012).

In fact, the only way to tell that my iPhone was a refurb when I got it was by holding the bottom of the phone up to hard direct light so you could see that the inside of the tiny little screws there have missing paint.

Just because the OP had some bad luck with his replacements does not make every refurb bad.

I think we all agree that Apple refurbs have excellent quality. I just don't believe that apple replaces every iPhone case in a refurb.

I would even argue that Apple has the best quality refurbs in the market. Though people have to be realistic that these are returned goods and given the reduction in price, people can expect some wear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.