Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
RocketFish and JayBird BT headphones are really good and quite popular. And JayBird's BlueBuds will be out soon. Likewise Motorola has some popular options. Not sure why Apple is getting into this game, but they will have to be really good to compete.

On another note, if they bought the company 3-4 months ago, that's even before the release of 4.1 and the support of AVRCP in iOS.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I like Muff as much as the next man but they consider a more internationally appropriate name.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I keep hoping Apple will get into the car navigation/entertainment business, I'd love to have an iOS device as my car computer/navigation system built right into the car.

Me too. Hopefully they go the Microsoft route and start offering it to multiple car companies. Microsoft started with Ford, but now they are getting into Kia and will probably keep expanding from there. I'd love to see it in a Chevrolet, VW, or Audi. I like Toyota and Honda too, but I don't see it as Apple's style.

I also hope they make it so you can get the nano to display notifications from the iphone and even use it to answer calls, dial phone numbers, and do speech to text text messages. I want to be able to see info quickly without having to pull out my phone.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Me too. Hopefully they go the Microsoft route and start offering it to multiple car companies. Microsoft started with Ford, but now they are getting into Kia and will probably keep expanding from there. I'd love to see it in a Chevrolet, VW, or Audi. I like Toyota and Honda too, but I don't see it as Apple's style.

I also hope they make it so you can get the nano to display notifications from the iphone and even use it to answer calls, dial phone numbers, and do speech to text text messages. I want to be able to see info quickly without having to pull out my phone.

I wish Apple would have worked with Ford. I can't begain to tell you how much I dislike my sync system in my Ford. The best is when it crashes and you have to listen to AM radio for 10 minutes while it comes back up...

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
My wired BOSE earbuds are the best - hope new apple design will be as good or better - the one pictured in article looks too clunky

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You realize where this is all going. They don't care about headphones. They care about the bluetooth audio pairing. This is all in efforts to create the ultimate Apple iCar ;)

BigQid

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I wish Apple would have worked with Ford. I can't begain to tell you how much I dislike my sync system in my Ford. The best is when it crashes and you have to listen to AM radio for 10 minutes while it comes back up...

I haven't played with sync, but mytouch is very cool. I know Apple could do a better job, I don't know that it would be as cheap of an upgrade as the Microsoft unit. I think Android is in the Volt. I think Apple has to get in this game. If Microsoft and Android continue to take market share and then turn and try to be proprietary the way Apple does, Apple might suffer.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
4 years ago, I wondered why headphones still needed wires, and i still do today.

Looks like we will finally be seeing good wireless headphones

Personally, I don't like putting up with all these battery-powered devices; they're starting to interfere with each other making whatever they're connecting to act up in strange ways.

However, they sure do keep my cat from destroying expensive peripherals--she just loves chewing on wires.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
I haven't played with sync, but mytouch is very cool. I know Apple could do a better job, I don't know that it would be as cheap of an upgrade as the Microsoft unit. I think Android is in the Volt. I think Apple has to get in this game. If Microsoft and Android continue to take market share and then turn and try to be proprietary the way Apple does, Apple might suffer.

Just another reason I won't buy Ford vehicles any time soon.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I always wished apple would develop a bluetooth headset. Now we may get it!

Was told the bluetooth headset project inside Apple was told to be a classic "too many cooks in the soup" debacle where it went through almost a dozen different prototypes and died a slow engineering death. Management gave their boys the chance and ended up buying a cowboy project.

Good luck working inside Apple guy. While you have a big check, that buyout stepped on a few toes. Hope they are not working with you.

Now that they have the right system design is in house, time for some Apple trademarked Industrial Design magic. Watch it be one fifth the size and the controls somewhere more intuitive.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
All I want is a decent wireless remote that doesn't sap battery power by streaming the audio (which is what happens if you try to use a BT audio device pairing for the remote functionality).
How about fixing it so the nike+ watch remote functions work on the iPhone / iTouch? They do on the nano...

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
RocketFish and JayBird BT headphones are really good and quite popular. And JayBird's BlueBuds will be out soon. Likewise Motorola has some popular options. Not sure why Apple is getting into this game, but they will have to be really good to compete.

I think the issue is ipod/iphone specific equipment. The higher fidelity headphones are more expensive and if Apple can combine small form factor, excellent bluetooth, ipod/iphone specificity and hi fidelity without paying 300 bucks, I'd say there's a market for that.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

For the love of god apple will u actually support changing tracks (fwd/bwd) On iPhones like my SE and Nokia phones did 5+years ago?

I just don't get why the delay to basic functionality - anyone?!

Let me guess here... Apple will come up with their own proprietary method to change tracks via blutooth headphones thus once again cornering the market for other more expensive bt stereo headsets!!!

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Im assuming the word 'muff' means the same thing in the states as it does here :D

Cant walk for the first woman to walk into an Apple store and ask for a muff replacement because hers isn't working like it used to :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.