Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
*facepalm* It's Digitimes... why do people still believe them? Oh right, because it gets ad clicks.

androvboy

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
But to be clear, 3.5" is the perfect size for a phone because you need to be able to use it one-handed.

I have a 6+ and use it one handed. Just 'cos you have midget hands don't make the rest of us suffer........I see enough of you little people happily swinging your legs in the economy seats on aircraft.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Smart move. The 6+ is clearly the hot model so making more to meet demand and get people their phones quicker makes sense.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I am surprised with Apple. First it was not enough 5ses, and now it's not enough 6 pluses. I can't imagine they are doing this on purpose, they aren't gong to make any more money on keeping supplies constrained while demand remains very high. Only the secondary market will profit from that situation.

I highly doubt there would be a scenario where they produced too many 6 pluses and would have gotten stuck with them. The success of other 5.5" phones should have shown them that people want the larger phones.

good200

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Iphone 6 Plus .... Waiting impatiently

I planned to buy the Iphone 6 4.7. I actually pre-ordered it on the September 19th. Two hours later, I thought, a $100 bucks more and I'll have the plus. So I went back to Verizon and cancelled the order and preorder the plus. Now, I am going insane waiting. I have never had an apple product. Been using android. I am looking forward to my plus. I've already ordered and received 2 cases, car charger, and a carry case. I have a ship date of September 24. I am hoping some miracle happens and it ships early. Who knows.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Honest and serious question: For people who have gotten and are comfortable with using it now, what is the appeal for getting the 6+? And are you really comfortable with the size?

I can hold and use the 6 fine, albeit not comfortably. The 6+ is just way, way too obnoxious IMO to be used as a phone. The only legitimate appeal i can see is to watch videos and if that were the case, id rather opt for an ipad mini instead.

I feel a screen size between 4" and 4.7" would be the ideal sweet spot for form and function. 4" being a tad too small and 4.7" being a tad too uncomfortable.

I use my phone one handed almost always and most times for phone, messaging, mail, navigation, internet browing, and other essential productivity apps. I see it as a device to keep me connected and productive.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Honest and serious question: For people who have gotten and are comfortable with using it now, what is the appeal for getting the 6+? And are you really comfortable with the size?

I can hold and use the 6 fine, albeit not comfortably. The 6+ is just way, way too obnoxious IMO to be used as a phone. The only legitimate appeal i can see is to watch videos and if that were the case, id rather opt for an ipad mini instead.

I feel a screen size between 4" and 4.7" would be the ideal sweet spot for form and function. 4" being a tad too small and 4.7" being a tad too uncomfortable.

I use my phone one handed almost always and most times for phone, messaging, mail, navigation, internet browing, and other essential productivity apps. I see it as a device to keep me connected and productive.

I am totally with this...early rumors pointed to a 4.3" smaller screen, and around 5" for the larger. I was really hoping for the 4.3", that newer rumors were false. 4.3" would be ideal...a little larger, easier to read, and can still reach all 4 corners with one hand. I was surprised apple jumped from 4-4.7, very surprised.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
The only reason is because they cheapened the 4.7" model and you can only get the best screen, best camera, best battery life with the biggest model. I hate this, absolutely hate this. It's a phablet, not a phone! :mad:

A smaller phone doesn't have room for OIS
To expect more battery life from a smaller phone is expecting Apple to break the laws of physics.
The "ph" bit of phablet stands for "phone".

The 6 is what it is, no doubt you'd have been happy had it come out as it is alone, it seems your annoyance is more to do with jealousy regards additional features than any logic. You might as well say my Ferrari is "cheapened" because there is another model that goes faster.

Last edited:

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
I am surprised with Apple. First it was not enough 5ses, and now it's not enough 6 pluses. I can't imagine they are doing this on purpose, they aren't gong to make any more money on keeping supplies constrained while demand remains very high. Only the secondary market will profit from that situation.

I highly doubt there would be a scenario where they produced too many 6 pluses and would have gotten stuck with them. The success of other 5.5" phones should have shown them that people want the larger phones.

Why are you surprised with APPLE? They do this every year a new iPhone comes out, dating back to the iPhone 3, and probably with the original iPhone (I didn't have an issue just walking into an AT&T store back then and just getting one right away). Each year it has gotten worse. Apple, in my opinion, never makes enough devices for demand. However, if I take a step back, it's probably because they wait until the very last possible minute to start productions. In either case, I believe this is APPLES strategy. Apple is counting on...no, they are EXPECTING YOU, ME and many others who didn't PRE-ORDER to wait around until they are in stock at carriers/apple stores. Are we not doing that? I am.

----------

1. Better camera
2. Better battery life
3. Bigger screen

While I don't own it yet, I did visit the apple store and mess around with both the 6 and 6+, while both are bigger then the 5, there really was not that much of a difference, in my hands, from 6 to the 6+. Only time will tell how I feel about it once I get one.

----------

I planned to buy the Iphone 6 4.7. I actually pre-ordered it on the September 19th. Two hours later, I thought, a $100 bucks more and I'll have the plus. So I went back to Verizon and cancelled the order and preorder the plus. Now, I am going insane waiting. I have never had an apple product. Been using android. I am looking forward to my plus. I've already ordered and received 2 cases, car charger, and a carry case. I have a ship date of September 24. I am hoping some miracle happens and it ships early. Who knows.

I hope so for your sake, as it's October 9th now...You should have had it already if it shipped on September 24.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
A smaller phone doesn't have room for OIS
To expect more battery life from a smaller phone is expecting Apple to break the laws of physics.
The "ph" bit of phablet stands for "phone".

The 6 is what it is, no doubt you'd have been happy had it come out as it is alone, it seems your annoyance is more to do with jealousy regards additional features than any logic. You might as well say my Ferrari is "cheapened" because there is another model that goes faster.
As far as breaking the laws of physics, (really?), they could have made the smaller iPhone thicker, put more battery in it. Reality is, the larger screen requires more power, bigger battery, but, they could have made the batteries match their draw and have the same life, last just as long. I'm not the only one that would prefer a slightly thicker phone to accommodate a larger battery, but, not the bigger screen.

...But, the smaller one is also thinner, which is cool, thinner is better.

There used to be one new iPhone and it was the best you could get, now there are two, and they are equivalent in a lot of ways, but, they had to justify an extra $100 for the larger one, not just the screen being bigger. I know how marketing works...price points, categories...B.S. really.

Bigger is not always better. I just think we should be given screen size choices, not, this one is better because it is bigger. I hate that crap. The best cell phone used to be the one that could fit it all in a smaller package. And, they don't do this with the iPads, there's really little difference besides the screen size, so it's more of a choice, less of, well, if you want this feature, you have to get the biggest one, well, I don't want the biggest one, and with the iPads, I don't have to get the biggest one to get all the features.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
As far as breaking the laws of physics, (really?), they could have made the smaller iPhone thicker, put more battery in it. Reality is, the larger screen requires more power, bigger battery, but, they could have made the batteries match their draw and have the same life, last just as long. I'm not the only one that would prefer a slightly thicker phone to accommodate a larger battery, but, not the bigger screen.

Yes really :cool:

If they made the 6 thicker then they could have done the same for the 6+ and the extra battery life of the 6+ would still apply.

Yes a bigger screen requires more battery but the ratios work out that bigger still is better (for battery) , plus you often aren't using the screen (for example when on a phone call) so the end result is, a larger phone = larger battery = longer battery life.

So yes, even if you were Montgomery Scott you couldn't square this circle.

MYB

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Earth
6 vs 6+

I have a 6 and a 6+.... Initially, the 6+ just seemed too large. As time goes on, I find that I appreciate the size of the 6+ much more. In the end, I am sure I will prefer the 6+....

:cool:

ShredX

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Earth
That's great. They should've figured from the start that an iPhablet would be incredibly in demand. I know people who want to switch to iOS just to get the 6 plus. Unfortunately, the only 6 plus available at any Sprint Store in my town is 16GB and 16GB is inadequate for me. That's less storage than my 32GB 5C. I'll just wait till next year and see what the "6S Plus" is all about. If that is more widely available, I'll get one of those. If we have a repeat of this "16GB only" availability nonsense, I'll just wait until Applecare is up on my 5C and get something else. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.