Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadpirateflappy

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
I wonder why they’d cancel this when they’ve sold dozens of them already? 😂

So you mean that people won’t always buy into the Apple hype? I guess people are learning.
With this and the awful Apple vision pro, I wonder if the apple cultists might wake up soon that not everything Apple makes is the best?
I love many Apple products, but my gosh they do make some awful bad quality stuff as well. (Butterfly keyboard for example, :p )

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Love the Apple leather case I got for my 12 mini for $17. About 2 years old now and wearing very nicely. And oh so slim. I liked it so much, I found the 13 mini for my husband for about $23 on sale.
My experience with apple leather:

I bought a black leather case for my launch day X and it was amazing. Smooth and supple leather yet it wore like iron.

I bought a brown leather case for my regular model 12. It sucked. The brown started wearing off like it was cheap paint. It was not a patina effect at all.

Nothinge changed about my handling/usage. Just crappy "leather".

I mostly go naked with my 14PM but also like extremely thing barely there cases when I do use one. I'd probably buy a leather 14PM case if one popped up in the right color.

555gallardo

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2016
Slovakia
One would wish. But sadly I look around almost daily and I am shocked/disappointed at how some refuse to grow. I heard a comedian one time say, "Look around at the average person. Now think about the fact that statistically 49% are worse than them."
I think that was said by the master himself, Ricky Gervais.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022

Apple has stopped production of FineWoven accessories, according to the Apple leaker and prototype collector known as "Kosutami."

iPhone-15-Pro-FineWoven.jpg

In a post on X (formerly Twitter), Kosutami explained that Apple has stopped production of FineWoven accessories due to its poor durability. The company may move to another non-leather material for its premium accessories in the future.

Kosutami has revealed accurate information about FineWoven accessories in the past. The leaker unveiled Apple's plans to introduce new Apple Watch bands made of a "woven fabric material" over a month before they debuted, as well as matching iPhone cases. Kosutami also revealed the very first images of FineWoven accessories shortly before the event in which they were officially announced. MacRumors understands the source of this latest information regarding the cessation of production to be the same as these previous FineWoven rumors that were ultimately accurate, so it should be taken seriously until we know more.

Apple stopped selling leather accessories in September last year, replacing them with a more environmentally friendly "FineWoven" material that the company describes as "luxurious and durable microtwill" made from 68% post-consumer recycled polyester. FineWoven iPhone cases are priced at $59, MagSafe Wallets at $59, AirTag holders at $35, and Apple Watch bands at $99.

Accessories made of the material have been very poorly received by customers, citing poor durability and disappointing quality. FineWoven accessories in new color options were noticeably absent from Apple's spring refresh. If Apple has indeed stopped production of FineWoven accessories, it may be some time before the company's existing stock inventory begins to noticeably deplete.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Stops Production of FineWoven Accessories
Well, it was rubbish. It was easy to tell after 10 seconds. It's bizarre that Apple released such poor quality junk.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
With this and the awful Apple vision pro, I wonder if the apple cultists might wake up soon that not everything Apple makes is the best?
I love many Apple products, but my gosh they do make some awful bad quality stuff as well. (Butterfly keyboard for example, :p )
7 years since they stopped making it and people are still whining.

It’s funny how many people here actually like the FineWoven Case and others have no clue how to keep something in good condition. It worries me that people can’t take care of a case because they must have so much trouble taking care of themselves.

7 years and you’re still going on about the keyboard! 😂😂. Get...Over…It.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Most "vegan leather" is not plastic.

Vegan leather can be made from many plant-based fibres, including pineapple leaves (Pinatex), cactus (Desserto leather), cork, mushrooms, coconut husks, kombucha scobies, mango, seaweed and apple peels.
Really not true! The vast majority of 'vegan leather' textiles ARE made from petroleum-based components. Yes, there are alternatives made using some (often very small) amounts of vegetable-sourced fibers, but these are ALSO held together with polyurethane and polyvinyl acrylate glues for the most part. These are PLASTICS, derived solely from petrochemicals.

They do not biodegrade, and break down into microparticles which will pollute not only our waterways, food sources, but our bodies and brains. We have only begun to understand that there are severely negative health consequences for humans as well as animal life.

You/we have been 'greenwashed' as to the benefits and safety of so-called 'vegan leathers'.

from a Harper's Bazaar article on 'vegan leathers':
"However, despite vegan alternatives being thought to have a lower impact on the environment than the real thing, it does have clear drawbacks, particularly when it’s made from plastic.

Clothing made from plastic can pose a threat during and after its lifespan because it could end up in water or landfill. This takes years to degrade and releases toxic chemicals into the environment, which is unsustainable. “It’s estimated that 13 million tonnes of synthetic fibres enter our oceans each year,” warns Sandor."

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
16 pages about a case......

They made a mistake. Companies do. Apple have made mistakes before, and will do so again.

A bit disingenuous to keep selling them though, with the same gushing prose used from the original launch....

They should offer generous trade-ins - since they are apparently recyclable anyway - against whatever replaces them....

The real question is whether we need any kind of case at all.....
For me, it's not just about the case, it is about the choice of materials.
I would be happy to see Apple produce a truly high-quality alternative in addition to natural leather cases. But not some garbage plastic-polyurethane unholy combination that not only wears poorly, but will not biodegrade and will further pollute our already over-polluted planet with even more micro-plastics once these things are sent to the landfill.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Me to tbh

They last long on my phones, not sure what other people do with them to have them destroyed after a months or even days
What I don't like about the silicone cases is that they catch lint from my pockets, and any debris from any surface they touch. Even particles floating in the air. I love the feel, but also they catch on fabrics (like pockets).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Making natural leather requires something like 3 gallons of water per square foot and your using a chemical harsh and strong enough to permanently stop the skin tissue harvested from an animal from decaying.
Yes, and what kind of materials does making plastic require? None of these are harsh or strong?

Let’s face it regardless of what Apple does. It’s going to have some type of environmental impact, especially on the scale of the iPhone. If they sent Tim Cook in the woods to harvest fallen trees with a hand ax to make iPhone cases, there would still be some type of environmental impact.

I know there are more environmentally friendly ways to tan leather, but is that more environmentally friendly than making some type of plastic? I would think so, but maybe some with more experience in this subject could explain better.

What drives me crazy when it comes to environmental responsibility is a lot of companies spend more on PR than things that make a difference. I understand the need for PR, but we also need actual improvements to go along with companies patting themselves in the back.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Really not true! The vast majority of 'vegan leather' textiles ARE made from petroleum-based components. Yes, there are alternatives made using some (often very small) amounts of vegetable-sourced fibers, but these are ALSO held together with polyurethane and polyvinyl acrylate glues for the most part. These are PLASTICS, derived solely from petrochemicals.

They do not biodegrade, and break down into microparticles which will pollute not only our waterways, food sources, but our bodies and brains. We have only begun to understand that there are severely negative health consequences for humans as well as animal life.

You/we have been 'greenwashed' as to the benefits and safety of so-called 'vegan leathers'.

from a Harper's Bazaar article on 'vegan leathers':
"However, despite vegan alternatives being thought to have a lower impact on the environment than the real thing, it does have clear drawbacks, particularly when it’s made from plastic.

Clothing made from plastic can pose a threat during and after its lifespan because it could end up in water or landfill. This takes years to degrade and releases toxic chemicals into the environment, which is unsustainable. “It’s estimated that 13 million tonnes of synthetic fibres enter our oceans each year,” warns Sandor."
Thanks for linking to a paywall.

Nowhere in the part of the article that you selectively quoted says "The vast majority of 'vegan leather' textiles ARE made from petroleum-based components.".

Also, you can hardly whine about PU when the poisons (causing a 5x increase in leukaemia) used in actual leathers is ignored.

As far as Vegan leather goes, there are plastic (PVC) based versions, and I have never denied that. But many of them use Bio Poly Oil which is one of the main ingredients for polyurethanes and comes from seed, and not always the bad product you are assuming.
  • Piñatex leather - Made from Pineapples
  • Mirum - Natural Fibre Welding
  • Vegan Cork Leather - Obvious
  • Mushrooms Leather - Mostly stronger and outlasts leather. Some of these contain PU's others do not.
  • Leaf Leather - Made from Teak Leaves. Also used to line roofs for waterproofing in parts of Asia. It has many uses.
  • Grain-Based Leather - Often made from Rapeseed Oil and is also one of the natural ingredients in polyurethanes.
  • Recycled Plastics - Obviously used in the Apple scenario and often used to great effect.
  • Cactus leather - used as leather alternative in furniture and bags. Different versions, some have allegedly found traces of PU's, but that is disputed by the makers.
Plenty more versions around as well, Apple Leather, Malai, TômTex (which isn't actually Vegan, but a byproduct from Prawns) but it's an alternative to Cow Skins.

Like I said, let's have an honest discussion. We don't have to make things up to make a point and we can accept that so called "Vegan Leathers" are not all green. I've never said they were, but that doesn't mean it isn't better than using people poisoning cow skins.

Last edited:

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
What I don't like about the silicone cases is that they catch lint from my pockets, and any debris from any surface they touch. Even particles floating in the air. I love the feel, but also they catch on fabrics (like pockets).
Lint? I'm holding back on my response here. But lint? I must have lint-free-air and lint-free-pockets at my house.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Yes, and what kind of materials does making plastic require? None of these are harsh or strong?

Let’s face it regardless of what Apple does. It’s going to have some type of environmental impact, especially on the scale of the iPhone. If they sent Tim Cook in the woods to harvest fallen trees with a hand ax to make iPhone cases, there would still be some type of environmental impact.

I know there are more environmentally friendly ways to tan leather, but is that more environmentally friendly than making some type of plastic? I would think so, but maybe some with more experience in this subject could explain better.

What drives me crazy when it comes to environmental responsibility is a lot of. companies spend more on PR than things that make a difference. I understand the need for PR, but we also need actual improvements to go along with companies patting themselves in the back.
They use Bio-Poly-Oil, made from Rapeseed and di- and tri-isocyanates. So yeah, they don't cause Cancer like the Tanning Process. 5 x the level of Leukaemia in areas where there is leather tanning. They are also inert. Landfill is definitely an issue, which is why recycling is so important, but far better than the impacts of tanning leather.

I think the only answer is…

Naked iPhones with an insurance plan that covers accidental damage
We rarely agree, but I agree 100%.

Reactions: russell_314

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
So whats the environmental impact of all these returns/defects/excess inventory no one wants vs had they stuck with leather?
I’m sure they don’t think about that at all. Some engineer and marketing team sold this segment HARD.
I bet Apple thought 99% this product would slap.

And all it did was slap the consumer in the face.
Had they sold for $29.99 I bet a lot of people would have been quiet.
But no. Apple needed full leather hand made quality pricing for recycled trash bags and water bottles.

dca100

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Personally I quite like my FW case for my 15 Pro. I've had Apple leather cases for every previous iPhone. The edges of the FW case feel essentially the same. The back has held-up fine despite being charged using magsafe nightly and - maybe I'm lucky - but the fit/finish is as good as any previous Apple case I've had. No complaints from me. I like the feel of the back.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
I have a $20ish cork case that looks good and has lasted for 2 years and has protected my phone from a dozen drops. Surely it can't be this hard for Apple to get an enviro friendly phone case right.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
You haven't seen the end of The Lion King? ;)
LOL, I’ve never seen any of The Lion King. Looks boring, I dislike most mainstream musicals, and the cartoon does not appeal. And yet thanks to the ubiquity of Disney/Pixar/whomever…I still hear some of the made-up words from commercials or skits I’ve seen over the years when the phrase even crosses my mind. :D

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Thanks for linking to a paywall.

Nowhere in the part of the article that you selectively quoted says "The vast majority of 'vegan leather' textiles ARE made from petroleum-based components.".

Also, you can hardly whine about PU when the poisons (causing a 5x increase in leukaemia) used in actual leathers is ignored.

As far as Vegan leather goes, there are plastic (PVC) based versions, and I have never denied that. But many of them use Bio Poly Oil which is one of the main ingredients for polyurethanes and comes from seed, and not always the bad product you are assuming.
  • Piñatex leather - Made from Pineapples
  • Mirum - Natural Fibre Welding
  • Vegan Cork Leather - Obvious
  • Mushrooms Leather - Mostly stronger and outlasts leather. Some of these contain PU's others do not.
  • Leaf Leather - Made from Teak Leaves. Also used to line roofs for waterproofing in parts of Asia. It has many uses.
  • Grain-Based Leather - Often made from Rapeseed Oil and is also one of the natural ingredients in polyurethanes.
  • Recycled Plastics - Obviously used in the Apple scenario and often used to great effect.
  • Cactus leather - used as leather alternative in furniture and bags. Different versions, some have allegedly found traces of PU's, but that is disputed by the makers.
Plenty more versions around as well, Apple Leather, Malai, TômTex (which isn't actually Vegan, but a byproduct from Prawns) but it's an alternative to Cow Skins.

Like I said, let's have an honest discussion. We don't have to make things up to make a point and we can accept that so called "Vegan Leathers" are not all green. I've never said they were, but that doesn't mean it isn't better than using people poisoning cow skins.
Sorry, the article wasn’t paywalled for me. I did several other searches, and the vast majority of information freely available on the subject does indicate that the majority of so-called ‘vegan leathers’ are made using non-renewable and toxic source materials at least in part.

Now, if you want to get into edge-cases like you describe, then why not cite the natural vegetable-tanned leathers, which are non-toxic? They’re more expensive, slower processes, so they cost more, thus they’re less used by manufacturers.

Animal leathers can be made using entirely natural processes, with vegetable dyes and tanning solutions, without heavy-toxic-metal pollutants. So then you have a truly durable, actual biodegradable textile which will far outlast anything made using plastics or your halfsie/products. Not to mention, nicer to the touch.

I’m not going to debate the ethics of using animal skins for leather. We do.

Some of us prefer it.

Substituting plastic or similar ultra-processed materials will not save the planet or stave off global climate destruction. You’re kidding yourself if you think this will make any difference.

The largest producers of toxins, hazardous wastes, CO2, etc is industrial production (hint: not leathers), mechanical and electronics manufacturing, energy production, agricultural industry and related, transportation, and oh, the ‘one-percent,’ who consume more of the planet’s resources than the lower 60% of the global population.

Consumers such as we will not save the planet via our small choices of materials or even ALL of the foods we eat. That simply will not yield enough of an impact to alleviate the climate stresses. I’m not going to search the data for you, but it is all available if you look.
But people don’t seem to want to look, as it is easier to point at your neighbor and his choices as to why we’re ruining our environment. Yes, we play a role, but that is largely by acquiesing to our political/social systems which DO control the owners of these processes (but do not dare or care to actually properly regulate them).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wow... you sure are invested in whether other people do or do not like Apple.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think the only answer is…

Naked iPhones with an insurance plan that covers accidental damage
Then you would have to compare the environmental impact of replacing a back glass to a case? Who knows it might actually be better 🤷‍♂️

I personally like a thin case because it makes it easier to grip for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.