Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyno

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Have the Maps team fix the map data. Until that's done, I could care less about other technology. The iPhone needs to excel at the things it's supposed to be able to do now before they start adding other cool features.

things the PHONE is supposed to be able to do like call people send text messages, surf the internet, play games, tell you the weather the time how your stocks are doing, read newspapers magazines and books??

right......... we get it some people hate maps cause its the thing to do.... some people hate it because its not google maps....... some people even hate because they tried it and it doesn't work as well as the advert said.........:rolleyes:

and some people find its just fine thanks very much and those are probably the ones that remember how google maps and mapquest were in the beginning and know that apple is definitely not starting from scratch it is fast smooth and in many cases and shock horror particularly in north america its often well ......right

anyway we all get it you dont like it dont use it but for the sake of all thats holy give it a rest so we can talk about something interesting:apple:

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
where is face recognition ? to my surprise an android phone that cost $150 has that feature included in it.... finger print and face recognition should've been on iPhone 5.... I guess iPhone 5S, S= Security/Scan?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Ooohhhh yeah. I bet nothing will go wrong with this idea...

Have you ever seen people try to use fingerprint scanners, never mind tiny ones the size of the home button? The part of the finger used and the angle has to be just right. People are too stupid to make it work and will lock themselves out of their phones.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Damn, what insult to injury, imagine loosing your finger in an accident and not being able to call 911 because you need that finger to unlock your phone?

You can call 911 from most, if not all, current locked phones.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
So it will work despite grease & dirt?

----------

Ooohhhh yeah. I bet nothing will go wrong with this idea...

Have you ever seen people try to use fingerprint scanners, never mind tiny ones the size of the home button? The part of the finger used and the angle has to be just right. People are too stupid to make it work and will lock themselves out of their phones.

I be the algorithm will only need to match up to 70% to register a "match". Probably fingerprints are unique enough that even this will be 100% secure.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Where's all the haters when I said fingerprint recognition would be cool if done right? "Apple would never do that" "It's gimmicky" Apple will do it good, and you'll all be singing praises.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I would never use this. I feel that my fingerprint could be collected by hackers and used for all sorts of mischief. I am sure the government is thrilled by this. Big Brother is smiling.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I would never use this. I feel that my fingerprint could be collected by hackers and used for all sorts of mischief. I am sure the government is thrilled by this. Big Brother is smiling.

If you do nothing wrong, why are you concerned about the government? Sure sure, cue 1984.

jaybrown81

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
US
Biometric security would def give me some peace of mind to put some financial apps on my phone. I don't trust the pass code system, 4 numbers is easy to crack.

uhhhhh thats why you turn off simple passcode and then you can make a longer passcode. I use a 8 # passcode

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I honestly would like something simple and yet more secure than 4 numbers....if I go to more numbers, its not simple. The android lock is interesting, but I hate android, lol

Learn about encryption to help you dealing with a combination of alphanumeric strength testing. If you cannot manage to remember something unique for yourself then enjoy your finger print.

wmukj

macrumors member
I love how willing we all are to hand over more and more of our personal information, and now potentially fingerprints, to big companies. The same big companies who if they aren't all ready, will someday be forced to turn over all their data to whomever demands it. Or they share it with other companies for profit.

It is a great, developing, system we have in place. They sell us new tech and we mindlessly hand over whatever they ask for: finances, our contacts, our location and soon enough our fingerprints. Just wait until you have to have the matching chip implanted that will be synched to your phone and that will be the only way you can use it.

Not that the U. _ S. government couldn't just kick your door in and detain you for no reason at all and get all the information that they desire anyway.

Okay, I have done enough here. I am off to my underground bunker (put's tinfoil hat back on...fades away into the inky blackness...) :)

mrxak

macrumors 68000
This may be used for unlocking your device, but much more likely this will be used for user differentiation. Think of the family iPad, where Little Billy and Little Sally have their own home screens and their own kids apps, while Mommy's contact list is separate from Daddy's business emails.

While I'm sure Apple would prefer that house to have four iPads (at least!) some people are going to think that's a waste of money and want to share a single device. After all, that's what they did with the family computer.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Damn, what insult to injury, imagine loosing your finger in an accident and not being able to call 911 because you need that finger to unlock your phone?

You do realise that you can make emergency calls without the need to unlock the phone, right?

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Fingerprint scanners are pretty easy to beat, from a security standpoint, by the way. People leave their fingerprints on anything they touch, including the scanner ;). I think this is much more likely to be useful as a way of doing multiuser.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Biometric security would def give me some peace of mind to put some financial apps on my phone. I don't trust the pass code system, 4 numbers is easy to crack.

there is another option other than "simple passcode". it can be longer than 4 characters if you desire ;)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I am very wary of anything using my unalterable, permanent biometrics to provide security - if it has flaws and the digital version of the information gets loose there is no password reset, no security question, no way to junk it and start fresh. I think people should think carefully before using themselves as the key to their devices.

As for the current system, I regularly back-up my phone and have it set to be wiped if the password (full alphanumeric) is entered incorrectly 10 times. This means I can have an easy to remember password that is not realistically subject to a brute-force attack (i.e., even if I lost the phone, a thief would only get 10 attempts to get past the lockscreen before my data was destroyed).

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Yeah, yeah. And watch in 2013 a story about an FBI agent leaking 1000000 of iPhone fingerprint scans from his notebook. Complete with names, emails and addresses of iPhone users.

Last edited:

Axegrinder

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Preston
As soon as I saw this story, I thought of Dexter too. He basically scanned the finger prints of a victim on an iPhone and checked it against the police database. Awesome! :)

If any of you saw the premier of DEXTER you would know that we already have it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.