Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Most consumers do not follow Intel's updates. They just want a mac.

And I will add in...

They work for 95% of the people out there and what they are doing with them. Not everyone watches the tech sites and has to have the latest all the time (yes I know some of the components are several years old, but they are still good enough for most people).

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Apple missed a big opportunity for iPad Pro 9.7. The price is just too high. I have had one and loved it, but many friends of mine just get turned off by the high price.

I just bought one yesterday for $200 off at Best Buy. Great device at a great price. If your friends are still in the market, get them to buy one. 32GB for $399 and 128GB for $549. I got the 128GB. Use the student discount at Best Buy (you don't need proof). They are already $100 off and students get another $100 off.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple missed a big opportunity for iPad Pro 9.7. The price is just too high. I have had one and loved it, but many friends of mine just get turned off by the high price.
But they wound up selling nearly 1 million more iPads than expected, despite the higher price. So they seem to be positioning it as a margin product now, knowing that the days of 20+ million per quarter are behind them.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Most consumers do not follow Intel's updates. They just want a mac.
Most people don't really look into specs beyond the Screen, the size and how it feels. they will think an intel 17 is better than a i5 even if you got a top of the range i5 and basic last year i7

Reactions: mburkhard

TheOldBillSherman

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
Lancaster, OH

Apple today announced financial results for the third fiscal quarter (second calendar quarter) of 2016. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $42.4 billion and net quarterly profit of $7.8 billion, or $1.42 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $49.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $10.7 billion, or $1.85 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. As expected, the results represent the second consecutive year-over-year declines in quarterly revenue and iPhone sales.

Gross margin for the quarter was 38 percent compared to 39.7 percent in the year-ago quarter, with international sales accounting for 63 percent of revenue. Apple also declared a quarterly dividend payment of $0.57 per share, payable on August 11 to shareholders of record as of August 8. The company currently holds $231.5 billion in cash and marketable securities, partially offset by $68.9 billion in long-term debt.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-26-at-4.37.01-PM-800x559.jpg

Apple sold 40.4 million iPhones during the quarter, down from 47.5 million a year earlier, while Mac sales were 4.25 million units, down from from 4.8 million units in the year-ago quarter. iPad sales were also down once again, falling to 9.95 million from 10.9 million.Apple's guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 includes expected revenue of $45.5-47.5 billion and gross margin between 37.5 and 38 percent.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-26-at-4.37.08-PM.jpg

Apple will provide live streaming of its fiscal Q3 2016 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Conference call starts at 2:00 PM Pacific - No need to refresh
loading.gif

Loading live updates...

Article Link: Apple Reports Q3 2016 Earnings of $7.8B on $42.4B in Revenue

So it's a rumor that Apple ***** money?

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
I assume that the Apple Watch is included in the 5% Other category?
Also are sales of Beats headphones included in this data, or are they a separate company for reporting purposes?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

I really really want one. But I'm at the point in life where my air first gen does everything I need and more still. And does it well,with outstanding battery life. I see a trend where more and more are upgrading less, and holding onto a device for a few years.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I assume that the Apple Watch is included in the 5% Other category?
Also are sales of Beats headphones included in this data, or are they a separate company for reporting purposes?
They are both in Other. The comparison is apples-to-oranges since last year included the launch and initial demand for the Apple Watch.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
And I will add in...

They work for 95% of the people out there and what they are doing with them. Not everyone watches the tech sites and has to have the latest all the time (yes I know some of the components are several years old, but they are still good enough for most people).
When you pay 2000 bucks for a laptop, you are not really after "good enough", you clearly want the best.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I can't believe they are managing to still sell these macs.. the people that are buying them are buying them purely for image or their mac recently broke and needed a replacement. No-one is buying these for the tech. It's old.

GPUs, yes. Xeon CPUs in the Mac Pro, yes.

Mobile CPUs in the MacBook Pros, no. Intel haven't released a chip worth upgrading to.

Mindbomb2000

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles
Just to reiterate, they have 232,000,000,000 in cash. That is ridiculous. Didn't we all expect a decline?

Many people have two-year contracts so they all missed out on the 6s/6s Plus. When the iPhone 7 is out, those people will be eligible for that phone as an upgrade. The jump from the 6 to the 7 will feel huge.

I agree... I know a lot of people using the 5/5s (myself included), who are primed for the 7. I normally am on the "s" cycle, for the simple fact that I think the "s" is where the rough edges are sorted out. I never understood the consumers demand to have the first iteration of a new design. In actuality, the proper way to design things is to change the form factor only when it is necessary to improve the function. I skipped the 6s and he fact that the 7 is really a 6ss thrills me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.