Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Third party styli already available

If you want a stylus for your iPad or iPhone, there are many vendors who already offer them. As someone else pointed out, this idea is far more than that.

I have to agree with the idea that putting too much technology into the stylus is a bad idea for a portable device. Unless they can do it on the cheap, people will not like the cost of replacement. It was one thing to buy a three-pack of "dumb" Palm styli, but this is a whole 'nother animal.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
I'm going to kick your ass at draw something....

Okay so apart from upping the competition in Draw Something...

I think this is a good idea, although (hear me out) probably not for the iPhone, i think the research could be clouded as anything implemented on the iPhone theoretically could (would?) be carried across to the iPad.

As a Graphic Designer I'm always taking notes, sketching and writing down random musings in my Moleskine, however of late my iPad has been taking over this for actual work related sketching/brainstorming purely because of the ability to export pages from Bamboo Paper to always have my 'workings' for my portfolio available digitally and easily reprinted (although at present I'm having to tile pages as the quality isn't ideal)

The two main things I have issues with are the failed attempts at resting palm/hand recognition and the inability to work accurately with the current styluses (stylii?) that are available.

There have been some promising ventures on Kickstarter of late in this field, one in particular which utilises a camera of sorts to track the movements of the pen - however, if you're going to go down this route why not just use Wacom Ink?

So in short, if they've got a well engineered stylus that can allow me to work as comfortably and accurately as I can on paper, then I'm all for this, save the paper, save the world! (sorry been rewatching Heroes recently haha)

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I love the idea of an improved graphics input as a $49 optional stylist!

Yo Apple are you listening?

Wacom makes a Cintiq 12WX Pen Display that is absolutely fabulous (but pricey at $999) and they are coming out with a battery powered blue tooth version soon!

There are so many professionals in all sorts of industries (graphics, health care) where using a finger or keyboard for input just does not cut it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
yes we really do need a stylus. Well those of use who do "real work" do. You just can not draw calligraphy with your finger. Heck most peole can't even sign their own name with a finger. Fingers are clumsy for retouching photos too. In fact any kind of artwork. I'd really like to see some on invent a true brush that would work. Painting with a plastic tipped stick beats painting with a finger but still is not like using a real brush and paint.

The ONLY reason fingers work is because the software designed have designed their interface to only required crude touches. But could you imagine painting one of those icons using only the same interface?

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
Painting with a plastic tipped stick beats painting with a finger but still is not like using a real brush and paint.

Never used it but I thought this looked promising, not sure if you have seen it before!

Like I mentioned there are some nice solutions going on over at Kickstarter but still nothing I'm happy with, so I hope Apple come out with something better as a result of this!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Going to disagree here. Do you think the best pen is your finger dabbed in ink? If I want to write on a digital screen (no doubt this is where technology will take us), I want an accurate stylus that mimics a pen as close as possible.

Having recently taken my MacBook Air in for service at the Apple Store, and having had to "sign" my repair ticket on an iPad with my finger... I've got to agree with you. What appeared on that iPad wasn't a signature in any way, shape, or form. It was ridiculous.

Also, from what I can see - there is a thriving market for third-party styluses that are used by people who like to draw on the iPad (my daughter has a few different styluses for this purpose). Apple officially supporting this ability could open up a whole new range of functionality in art apps.

While I can understand resistance to stylus-based input from people who perhaps were molested by Palm employees in the past... there are situations where a stylus is "the right tool for the job".

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
why make a stylus, thats brining back PDA with pen from the 90's early 2000's

let alone who cares, WWDC is almost upon us and Macs need updating. Except theres little to no posts on the important stuff, it seems people don't give a **** about those topics but will love any crap about iOS

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
I love the idea of an improved graphics input as a $49 optional stylist!

Yo Apple are you listening?

Wacom makes a Cintiq 12WX Pen Display that is absolutely fabulous (but pricey at $999) and they are coming out with a battery powered blue tooth version soon!

There are so many professionals in all sorts of industries (graphics, health care) where using a finger or keyboard for input just does not cut it.

The Galaxy Note uses wacom technology.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Steve said a lot of things and then proceeded to do the exact opposite. I always find it funny when people quote him like it was gospel.

What's more, he said that years in advance of the iPad. Considering how much he was obsessed with neatness, and even did a calligraphy course, I'm sure he'd love a stylus that gave the same experience as a proper pen. It's not just the stylus itself though - the handwriting algorithm needs to be perfect to provide that near-real experience.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
let alone who cares, WWDC is almost upon us and Macs need updating. Except theres little to no posts on the important stuff, it seems people don't give a **** about those topics but will love any crap about iOS

I'm on here more often than I've ever been tracking the rumours for WWDC as I have cash burning a hole in my pocket for a new iMac and MBP for my home studio, but I also use my iPad regularly for notetaking and sketching when I'm in transit or a meeting.

Your point is pretty irrelevant?

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Steve said a lot of things and then proceeded to do the exact opposite. I always find it funny when people quote him like it was gospel.

These kind of people are more catholic than the pope. Jobs was a free thinker. Most the Apple fanatics are just limited and narrow-minded.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Why not exactly?

If Apple wants to move everyone towards tablets and touchscreens then they will need a stylus. Just like the massive number of professionals Wacom has catered to for decades.

Ah, wait, I said professionals. Silly me.

I like using my fingers :p

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
I use a stylus all the time with my iPad.

Keeps the screen cleaner, longer. More accurate in some case. Hard to draw or illustrate with your finger. I like having the option.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
As someone who uses his iPad for drawing/painting, I would LOVE an official Apple stylus that was more than just a stick with a rubber nub on it.

And really, if they just offered it as an accessory like the dock, a seperate purchase, then that would be great. If you don't need a stylus, don't get it. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.