Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
The misogyny is apparent in the descriptives. "Whiney" being the most oft repeated. I read the letter, there was no whining.

Read it yourself here:
http://taylorswift.tumblr.com/post/122071902085/to-apple-love-taylor

So if a similar letter was written by Neil Young and people were posting about senile ramblings when the letter was a clear as this one we would be right in pointing out the ageism of the comments. If a black musician's letter was mischaracterized with racially loaded pejoratives it would be right to call out racism.

There is a lot of hate being directed at TS in this thread and the criticisms seem unfounded. She has taken a feminist stance in recent times and I suspect that some of the vitriol arises from that.

Wait so you're saying if I criticize someone it's automatically an "ism"? Wow! I call men whiners all the time. She's being called whiny because she is rich as hell, acts like she constantly has problems, and likes to play the victim. Has nothing to do with being a female.

What feminist stance has Swift taken? I don't know of ANY but that doesn't mean much. I do t follow her every move. Do you see racism, sexism, etc. in every criticism?

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Wait so you're saying if I criticize someone it's automatically an "ism"? Wow! I call men whiners all the time. She's being called whiny because she is rich as hell, acts like she constantly has problems, and likes to play the victim. Has nothing to do with being a female.

What feminist stance has Swift taken? I don't know of ANY but that doesn't mean much. I do t follow her every move. Do you see racism, sexism, etc. in every criticism?

I saw that video with the super hero theme. Images of strong women in that. This was put out around the time many people were questioning why there were no women superhero movies in the works. She did not seem like victim though she did get thrown out a window.
I saw that video where she played out all those dating nightmares. I took that to be a play on how she has been characterized (don't know though) and not a simple, "yes, I am this terrible person." I thought that was bold, took courage. It could support your "constantly has problems" but not in the context of a whine.

So those two vaguely remembered videos and this letter have largely formed my opinion of her. I haven't seen her playing the victim. Rich and having problems? You need a problem or you don't have a story or a song. She seems to be taking strong and clear stances and articulating them well.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Indeed.

Apple were taken to the tailors.

Lol Apple wins either way! They bent swift I to doing what she so far has refused to do. Apple music will provide more than any other music service to date. No way she was gonna miss out on that.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Not all music from iTunes will be available on Apple Music. There are currently over 43 million songs on the US iTunes Store but they are only promising that over 30 million songs will be available on Apple Music.

Ah, that's good to know, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.