Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
My wife said she would get me an Aura ring for my bday, I just have to pick out the style and size. I like the idea of it as I only wear my Apple Watch on gym days and never while sleeping. However, I'm hesitant once I saw Aura charges a subscription to get full access to your data. I hate companies that hold you hostage.

If Apple releases a ring, then I bet Aura is out of business within 5 years.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
My wife said she would get me an Aura ring for my bday, I just have to pick out the style and size. I like the idea of it as I only wear my Apple Watch on gym days and never while sleeping. However, I'm hesitant once I saw Aura charges a subscription to get full access to your data. I hate companies that hold you hostage.

If Apple releases a ring, then I bet Aura is out of business within 5 years.
Apple should just buy Oura.

BTW is there a ring company called Aura also or did you mean Oura? Not being a jerk, wondering if two similar companies exist with similar names.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I’d be very interested. I like my Apple Watch, but because I need readers to see it, and I rarely want to grab my readers and put them on to just see a notification or a message, I find it to be less useful than it might be. Also, I hate the short battery life of the AW.

So…a ring…if it could give me simple haptic notifications, monitor health criteria, and last for a week on a charge? I’d be very interested.

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
You know people are going to start using these to propose. Would be brilliant if Apple introduced a 'diamond' model. 😂

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I can see Apple bringing a smart ring to market, mainly as a health tracker that doesn’t require daily charging, like their Watches do. Watch battery life is why I switched to Garmin, but as others have noted, not everyone is comfortable wearing a bulky watch 24/7 (24/16 in the case of my Garmin Epix 2), so a smart ring would provide the overnight health tracking that is missing for people not wearing their devices all the time.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
IMG_5387.jpeg
Yikes! We’ll all look like this.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I've been wearing an Oura ring since Covid, having gotten the first for free and buying the second. I haven't worn a watch in over forty years, so an Apple Watch was never something that appealed to me. While I'm not a jewelry fan either, the Oura ring is inobtrusive and gives me useful health data. If Apple can make a better ring than Oura's and at least a similar price, then I would have no issue switching over.

xander49x

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
world
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫

Hi there,

I never post, I don't have any social media, I don't blog, I don't comment, etc.

But I do appreciate you whom do - the comment section helps shed light on aspects that maybe the editors missed, or may have deeper insights on what this technology might do.

Unfortunately, out of all the comments here, only 3 were constructive / interesting (use it for payments, maybe instead of Apple Watch).

The rest mostly felt like some type of complaint. I feel most of you like me, grew up on Apple machines, since the 80s, and that you have a strong brand loyalty. I feel that many of you feel "betrayed" / heartbroken by some of Apple's direction. That' understandable - but these comment sections are feeling more and more like a complaint-section for people with lovers quarrels. It's just not fun to weed through all of this. I rarely step into this section anymore because of this echo-chamber of negativity. Please reflect on this. It's not fun for yourselves, for the rest of us, and is utterly futile. For that I suggest the editors launch macfury.com to address the needs for such complaints.

We all know that Apple seeks profits wherever they can, that they make errors, and so fourth, but compared to some of the other companies out there, they are good enough for us to be continuously using their products, and coming back to MacRumors to see if there is anything in our tech landscape that may change for the better.

With that, this was my first and last comment on a blog post ever. For the two people that may read it - make of it - whatever you want.

Farewell,
A dude that likes humans

⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
well said, we had the same thought.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I find these rings pointless, cost as much as a smart watch, try to sell them on the premises of luxury metals, yet with a minuscule battery that will die after 2 or 3 years, but I guess you can wear it as a piece of jewellery then. Still not impressed if Apple just copies the market here.

I have an Oura ring and love it -- for the most part.

The one thing I love is that I can shelve my Apple Watch, which I've hated the design of since I got it. I have a big collection of classic watches and prefer to wear those over the Apple Watch any day. The Oura ring works great for day-to-day health monitoring, but for my workouts I do put on the Apple Watch for the better ecosystem usage.

My Apple Watch has been a bit flaky lately (as, it seems, most of my Apple devices -- WTH Apple???), but you can't beat the interaction with it and Apple Health. I have to admit, I have looked at other devices though, due to the AW flakiness.

The Oura ring works great for cardio and non-weight lifting workouts. I don't trust it on my finger for heavy weight training.

I'm hoping Apple comes out with a ring. I'm also hoping they stop with this idiotic boondoggle with Vision Pro and put more attention on their core line problems. A ring would be a useful addition to the lineup, unlike recent releases...

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I wasn't supposed to talk about it.

But I got early access and have been trying them out for a few weeks now.

I got about a dozen or so.

fried-apple-rings-500x500.jpg

Everybody I've shown them loves them. The guys at the office keep asking for them.

Great little things.

But I don't think they improve your health.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Remember when Phil Schiller said "can't innovate anymore my ass"? Copying competitors just doesn't seem very Apple to me.

FYI Apple filed its first smart ring patent in 2016. Everybody reads competitor's patents to extract useful information. Some rings were indeed around before that, with different capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.