Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Nobody's backtracking here, most agreed that Amazon were shooting for the touch.

Really? So why were they comparing it to the iPad in that link that was posted?

It's more like, "buy my product A, it's much cheaper than product B but one of the important points on B is on A!"

Or it's "here's a complete breakdown of product A and B, but trust us we're not competing or comparing A to B we're trying to compete with C which we have not mentioned once" :rolleyes:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Really? So why were they comparing it to the iPad in that link that was posted?

If they were 'comparing' it to the iPad then Apple are comparing the iPhone to a helicopter.

Or it's "here's a complete breakdown of product A and B, but trust us we're not competing or comparing A to B we're trying to compete with C which we have not mentioned once" :rolleyes:

It's "we would like you to buy product A. it is cheaper than product B, but even at our lower price point our product features one of the selling points of product B".

I have no idea what Amazon were shooting for with the Fire. All I know is that many MacRumors members believe that they were going after the iPod touch given their similar price points. Look at threads on this subject in the iPad and iPod touch forums.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
No, I don't even shop at WalMart, I just hate pompous attitudes.

Even ones manufactured in your head. This "pompous Apple product owner" attitude is, for the most part, manufactured by jealousy from Apple haters.

I've heard this conversation more than once:
A: "What kind of computer do you have?"
B: "An iMac"
A: "Oh you have an iMac, do you? Why do you Apple people always brag about your precious Apple products and think you're better than us?" or "I'd buy a Mac but I can't stand how Apple people think they're better than us and brag about their machine. I don't want to be part of that cult."
B: (thinking) WTF?

Sure, there's probably a few braggers; there is with any platform; but who cares about those people? Why do you let a few weirdos affect you so much?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
But yeah, no guys this was never meant to compete with the iPad, they just mention iPad in their own copy...
As discussed, they mentioned the iPad's screen. That's almost an homage to a product they consider so ubiquitous that people will understand what they mean by mentioning it.
What is really funny is that all the Windows folks and crapdroid folks come here to put down Apple and Apple users yet none of us Apple users go to those forums. :confused:
They have forums? Hadn't noticed.
I dont know what to believe since amazon doesnt produce those specific numbers, so I am offering a educated guess like everyone else..
Apple builds more units faster than anyone else, yet they always have supply issues. This means demand is much greater than for a product which has fewer built per day and still has some on shelves. That's simple economics math.
Would you compare the quality of, and the sales of, a $20k Civic to a $50k Lexus?
Of course you should. Maybe not as a final purchase decision, but why wouldn't you compare anything?

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
And that has what to do with what I said. Are we going to now have to deal with you posting crap like that for the next few months.
If apple was not scared then why this endless string of lawsuits with crapents like slide out unlock. They are suing samsung over the Galaxy nexus with that one currently and tried and failed to sue HTC with it as well.
Apple is going to court with crapents because it is running scared and wants to maintain there high profits.

Protecting IP

What are they scared of?

Other companies stealing their IP and ideas.

Anyone recall the thread a few months back that introduced the Kindle Fire at $199 and all the anti-Apple folks were boasting that the Kindle Fire would put a dent in iPad sales? How did that work out again? :D

Check out this story a week before X-mas. Hmmmm.....yup that garbage is flying off the shelves just like folks lining up for a crapdroid at a cell phone store.

If Amazon's Kindle Fire is so hot, why is it still in stock?
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/12/19/if-amazons-kindle-fire-is-so-hot-why-is-it-still-in-stock/

BTW - Don't forget the same folks were boasting about the Windows 8 tablet in the Windows 8 thread a few months back too. I wonder how that will play out once the Win 8 tablet with clunky fan is released? ROFLMAO!

Kindle Fire is still in stock because they made more than what the demand was. Kinda like HP and Blackberry did.

Windows 8 tablets will use ARM processors. So no fans. How will that pan out ? Not sure, but some people are comparing future devices to current devices. Do they really think Apple will rest on their laurels ? Do they really think that Apple doesn't have a secret tablet running a touch version of Lion ? The problem with the ARM version of Win8 is it won't run your desktop apps. (Oops, did I say apps ? I meant programs. ) Unless of course your 'truck' computer also uses ARM processors.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I have no idea what Amazon were shooting for with the Fire. All I know is that many MacRumors members believe that they were going after the iPod touch given their similar price points. Look at threads on this subject in the iPad and iPod touch forums.

That or media seem to think the fire was going head to head with the iPad. We have Apple fanboys here who missed the boat completely. Hell when the iPad came out there was the iPad was a kindle killer and failed to understand that the iPad and kindle were going after two very different markets. People have both the kindle and tablet report time and time again for an ereader the kindle is by far better than the backlit tablets like the iPad. That same group of people missed the boat on understanding what the Kindle Fire is.

Kindle Fire was designed to be something that was good for consuming media. That being reading, or watching movies and that limited area in many ways it does it as good and in some ways better than the iPad for 1/2 the price and lighter weight.

Putting them head to head was the wrong way to look at it. Apple fanboys do it to make themselves feel good but miss the boat on it. Kindle Fire is in a different class. iPad more goes head to head with things like the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Xoom, Transformers ect.

Protecting IP

If they where not suing with Crapents then maybe but Apple has been sueing with crapents that should NEVER of been granted in the first place. Example of crapents Apple has used - Slide to unlock, pinch to zoom, the flat tablet design ect. They are crapents and look at the results, time and time again the judge threw them out.
One US judge called Apple on its BS and flat out said that this was not about protecting IP but about delaying competition from entering. The time to took Apple to even bother starting to sue until now kind of shows that it was when it saw a real threat to its market.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If they where not suing with Crapents then maybe but Apple has been sueing with crapents that should NEVER of been granted in the first place. Example of crapents Apple has used - Slide to unlock, pinch to zoom, the flat tablet design ect. They are crapents and look at the results, time and time again the judge threw them out.
One US judge called Apple on its BS and flat out said that this was not about protecting IP but about delaying competition from entering. The time to took Apple to even bother starting to sue until now kind of shows that it was when it saw a real threat to its market.

You know, I'm waiting for like 5 years down the road when the Apple-haters use revisionist history and say that 'The only reason the iPad won the tablet wars was that Apple sued anyone who tried to make a competing tablet. There was nothing else to buy but an iPad.'

People always change facts to suit their arguments.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You know, I'm waiting for like 5 years down the road when the Apple-haters use revisionist history and say that 'The only reason the iPad won the tablet wars was that Apple sued anyone who tried to make a competing tablet. There was nothing else to buy but an iPad.'

People always change facts to suit their arguments.

Apple will be hard pressed to sue ms on Windows 8 and God help them if they do because ms could has a much larger and more powerful war chest for patents.
Also noticed a theme happening with apple's lawsuits. They have been loosing in the end and a lot of the crapents are being declared worthless. The only winners of these lawsuits are the lawyers and we consumer are the big looser yes including the Apple fanboys but generally speaking they are to blind to see that.

Last edited:

28monkeys

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
They are in the same tablet industry, yet in different levels, whereby, the the cost of ipad is not largely difference than kindle fire to be considered as high and low end, since the customers can still easily buy an ipad at reasonably affordable.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
That sentence is like a buzzword. Meaningless without already completely understanding what the speaker means. Which means it is still meaningless.

Eh?

I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant and that's all that really matters.

The car metaphors really don't work here.

I think they do. In the market for a Civic? You're not going to be considering an X5. In the market for a Kindle? Not in the market for an iPad.

immunezone

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
IDTS
Like they would tell us the opposite right?

They would never tell us, because of Kindle,, Apple losing some bizz from iPad.

Get it? False media tricks. Do not fall for it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple will be hard pressed to sue ms on Windows 8 and God help them if they do because ms could has a much larger and more powerful war chest for patents.

Strawman attack. If you look for example at the Nokia Lumia phones, they don't have the slightest similarity with the iPhone, so there would be no reason to sue. Apple doesn't sue competitors, they sue copycats.

sally456

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
As said above, if get the Kindle Fire, why not just turn to HP TouchPad?
Well, I think Kindle is more like to be a e-book reading device and add some other functions like surfing, but compared to iPad, it's still limited. :rolleyes:

shadowhawk2020

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
As said above, if get the Kindle Fire, why not just turn to HP TouchPad?
Well, I think Kindle is more like to be a e-book reading device and add some other functions like surfing, but compared to iPad, it's still limited. :rolleyes:

Is English your first language?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.