Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Am I the only one to notice that there is no Date function in the DND settings, only times! So why is the date making a difference?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I depend on scheduled DND on my iphone to let me sleep without noises, vibrations, or light coming from my phone in the middle of the night. it keeps me (and my wife) sleeping soundly when the phones are charged in the bedroom. regular DND it's a life-saver in a meeting.

but more than that, it's a feature i PAID for. for all of the "it just works" messaging that apple marketing loves to spew, it sure does get a lot of date and time bugs that should NEVER make it out of QC. if one of my customers had to deal with this bug in our software and i said, "don't worry about it, the problem will resolve itself in a couple of days, just don't use that feature" we would be fired on the spot.

if it's a free service, then i can accept a hiccup like this. i know that issuing a software patch might take a few days, and i can be pissed off while accepting that. but that isn't the message, it's "we know about it, it will get fixed automatically after this date, so just live with it" isn't an acceptable response to a bug in a product i PAID for.

maybe you have a lower threshold for quality in what you pay for. i don't.

Yes, I am an older patient man and do not expect the world or any manufacturer's product to be perfect, whether I paid for it or not.

Firing people on the spot for making mistakes is an American disease. The responsible people need to be re-educated and make new mistakes, instead of new people coming in making the same old mistakes.

If it turns out they keep making the SAME mistake then it's time to make a change, but in this case nobody
in this forum knows who did what.

Guaranteed, the programmers will be talked to, but not publicly.

By switching off the DNB "feature" for a few days you and your wife can sleep undisturbed, if that is what you want.

Really a non issue and with at this writing under 200 posts on MR and say 50 million or so iphones and ios users (Too lazy to look that up) out there your percentage of importance is:

0.000004 %

You can't be serious

UPDATE: Somebody just posted 400 million iOS users and we are at about 225 MR posts, so that makes your importance percentage:

0.00000005625 %

Last edited:

derbyshire2013

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
East Midlands
Just Tried Something....

Other people have probably tried it, but I changed my dated to next Monday.

Sure enough-Do Not Disturb came and went at the right times...

Back to today and it stays on.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Just called Apple, apparently the guy who signs off on software releases is on a South Pacific island on vacation until January 6th. He is expected back in the office the following day.

Stay tuned!

Highly doubt the apple phone reps know that information...

kamera

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2007
As a programmer, I'd be interested to learn why it will resolve itself on January 7th. Is it because it's the first Monday of the year? That would line up with last year's bug fixing itself on January 2nd.

It has to do with how you deal with the first week of the year (if it doesn't align with the beginning of the year). It could either be Week 0 of 2013, or Week 52 of 2012 ( 0-indexed arrays ;) ). And if your Calendar math is using week #s at some level... it's easy to miss out on this edge case, and have errors that seem to correct themselves at the EOW.

I wish Apple had fixed this bug. I mean they had an entire year to get to it... and have an Ad Campaign based on this feature. Tsk Tsk :(

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
This is the sort of thing that makes me glad I have both an iPhone and an Android phone, so I can see how the two compare for the same job... but when it *really* matters to wake up, I set my trusty old wristwatch.

NewsBot

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
New Jersey
Not near as bad as Google skipping the month of December on their Nexus 4.....Either way its being way overhyped, but seeing how its Apple, people will jump an anything to make them look bad.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
this is so absolutely mind-boggling. it will resolve itself on the 7th, so just relax? really? what a message to send to customers, i'm really floored.

I'd understand the sheer ridiculousness of some of the statements of anger and disgust here if for example it was timed airplane mode that kept the cell off. This is do not disturb mode. It's a silent switch. This does not require outrage!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
this is so absolutely mind-boggling. it will resolve itself on the 7th, so just relax? really? what a message to send to customers, i'm really floored.

If this is "mind-boggling and you are "really floored", I'd hate to see how you would react in a real crisis situation. This is absolutely nothing... grow up.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
What's really amazing about all the outrage is that some folks are only now waking up to how much contempt Apple has for its customers!?!

Come on, Apple's contemptuous attitude has been on display for quite some time!

It's how we got Apple Maps, after all...a very bad beta foisted upon anyone who upgraded to iOS 6 without the option to downgrade...

It's how we got "You're holding it wrong!"

Surely you all knew that as Apple customers, you're all beta testers?

I'm very pleased with Apple's Maps app. I also never had a problem with reception on my naked 4.

----------

At the very least they could have said "we will release a software update on January 7" that addresses this problem.

Then release a software update with an uprev'd version number. Heck, they don't even need to change the code.

Then it would at least have the appearance of "hey, we fixed it".

When you go to the coffee shop and complain "hey, this coffee is way too hot!", which would you rather hear: "Oh, so sorry sir, we'll fix that for you right away" or "It's fine, just don't drink it for a few more minutes, it will cool off on its own"? Even if all they do to "fix" it is let it cool off on its own anyway, you at least want them to appear to take steps to address the issue.

LOL... You just want someone to kiss your butt.

----------

Just wondering....

Is it acceptable that a $1000 piece of phone has such a fundamental problem?

It's not really about whether it's difficult to turn off or on manually. That is not the point. The point is this functionality should have been tested properly by apple programmers. People shouldn't have to put up with suddenly finding there's some sort of issue that should be working, or that used to work, then suddenly stops working because of an update. There are plenty of examples of this with iOS.

Personally, I don't even use DND, but I do feel for people who are inconvenienced by it, get missed calls because of it, etc.

Is iOS simply a polished turd? I am starting to wonder that myself.
Perhaps they need to rebuild it from the ground up.

-------------------------------------------------------
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy

You paid $1000 for a "polished turd"? Did you buy your phone from a dude that pulled up next to you at the gas station?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Are people really this upset about this? How did you all cope before DND even existed just last year?

It is a bug that no one found until the date changed to 1/1/13. They could come up with a patch and fix the issue...but by the time they release and the majority of people update it will have resolved itself.

Well... Before, the phone would ring when you got a call... Now it's stuck in DnD... So you might miss an important call...

Lucky for me I'm still on vacation til the 7th...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's like a SNL skit the way some people whine.

I think I can live until the 7th without DND...

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Dude, I am a programmer. I understand that unintented crap happens in code. I am sure they didn't expect this to happen. Besides, this is a bit of an inside joke between me and a work colleague. I was hoping he saw my post. I didn't expect to see an update to fix this, but still this type of bug, is unacceptable. Date/Time is not a new concept when it comes to computers/phones, etc. Must have been someone they let go last year...lol

Except I bet they're still employed. Hell, they probably work on OSX now. Only elite bug generators get to work on FCPX :rolleyes:

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
I knew some asshat like you would comment like this. Obvious you don't have important calls that you only want to receive. Or, you don’t mind getting woke up at 3AM from a unwanted phone call, text or notifications.

You keep on defending Apple and their programmers. They are GODS among boys in your eyes and when they do make a mistake, no matter how big it is, you will still defend them.

I agree, that is not really a big deal, but to sit here and make one person’s life less meaningless than yourself is wrong. Grow up a little and have a little perspective from someone else’s view.

It still works, one just has to make the effort to turn it on when they go to sleep and turn it off when they wake up. And only until the 7th. To complain so wildly about the extra few seconds it takes makes one a drama queen.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This finally got around to my iPad and iPhone today. it's not a big deal, really. When I consider how complex iOS is, I can live with it for a few days. As a programmer from back in the Dark Ages of writing lines of code, I am fascinated by the idea of this going away on the 7th. This seems to point to some sort of cyclic handshake or update that is going on behind the scenes. Then again, I have known lots of devices to go nuts on NY Day. Fascinating, Captain.

No, bugs don't mean programmers are bad at their jobs. It is impossible to foresee every possible scenario and only contact with the real world will wring out such problems. I do remember about ten years ago when the idea was floated of applying ISO to software. I am still laughing. Imagine an audit process that locks in a piece of software so that when bugs are found, they can't be fixed without rectifying. I personally know of a high tech industrial instrument calibrator that was ISO certified and a bug was left in its firmware because it was too expensive to recertify it after fixing the bug.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I knew some asshat like you would comment like this. Obvious you don't have important calls that you only want to receive. Or, you don’t mind getting woke up at 3AM from a unwanted phone call, text or notifications.

Doesn't the bug only affect turning the feature OFF? So half of what you said isn't even caused by the bug, only if you choose not to use the feature due to the bug. Nice try, though. :)

----------

Is it acceptable that a $1000 piece of phone has such a fundamental problem?
There are plenty of examples of this with iOS.
Is iOS simply a polished turd? I am starting to wonder that myself.
Perhaps they need to rebuild it from the ground up.
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy

I find it very hard to take your post seriously. Please list "plenty of examples" for us, will ya?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.