Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
No auto manufacturer expects a car to explode when it’s old.

If this is a normal issue, Apple would be required to implement measures to ensure people don’t use their phones past a certain date.

In aviation we have a TBO or time before overhaul, to ensure safety; typically 2000 flight hours. If Apple thinks that people should not be using phones older than seven years, they should issue a warning with the product.
It isn't reported or announced because everyone would chalk it up as the car's that old.

Other brands than Apple do experience flame up of devices when the battery's that worn or that old. As a safety measure battery bloat is a feature to force users to stop using it.

As these fires are so rare and the odds of its users are still using devices past their "vintage" or "obsolete"
then why the need for an active campaign?

This is unlike the aviation industry where in planes are used beyond half a century and seeming it can fall on top of people in ground a safety recall/announcement should be made.

But again... if the vehicle's older than half the world's population then it isn't really the responsibility of the manufacturer but of the owner/end user to make the call to retire it.

Again, that iPhone's more than a dozen year's old. I'd be alarmed if it occured to a device less than half that old.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
No auto manufacturer expects a car to explode when it’s old.

If this is a normal issue, Apple would be required to implement measures to ensure people don’t use their phones past a certain date.

In aviation we have a TBO or time before overhaul, to ensure safety; typically 2000 flight hours. If Apple thinks that people should not be using phones older than seven years, they should issue a warning with the product.
Tesla doesn't expect their cars to catch fire. Tesla's power banks like the one in Moss Landing California were not expected to catch fire either. The battery storage farm in Moss Landing is not very old, the Teslas catching fire are not more than 10 years old.

What a company expects, and what actually occurs are not always the same thing.

Lithium batteries are not benign devices.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
What a company expects, and what actually occurs are not always the same thing.

Lithium batteries are not benign devices.
You are correct. People often use and abuse them, sometimes causing a fire. This is the nature of the lithium battery and has nothing to do with Apple at all. All lithium batteries can do this. It's highly unlikely but out of hundreds of millions of batteries a few catch fire. If you think you're that lucky buy a Powerball ticket.

This isn't even a phone thing because lithium batteries are used in many different electronic devices. I'm sure many lawyers have tried to make this an Apple thing or a Samsung thing because those companies have deep pockets and they want to get their hands in them.

Some lithium batteries have a manufacturing defect that can lead to a fire. AKA Samsung Note 7. This is why that phone was recalled. Also some poorly made aftermarket batteries can be dangerous. This is why I wouldn't order my battery from some unknown seller in China.

Last edited:

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Should I get rid of my 3GS, my 4, my 4s, my 5 and my 6s+ now? ;)

Not an iPhone but maybe the same thing regarding my 2009 HTC Touch Pro? That has a removable battery though… 🤔
I'd not put my private data on it. If used to play music or a flashlight... keep it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd not put my private data on it. If used to play music or a flashlight... keep it.
My private data is on each one to some extent. But only the 6s+ leaves the house and that's for two 30 minute walks around my neighborhood each day. It's the only one with a SIM, the rest are on my home WiFi.

And to be real honest, only the 6s+ is actually used with any frequency.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
My private data is on each one to some extent. But only the 6s+ leaves the house and that's for two 30 minute walks around my neighborhood each day. It's the only one with a SIM, the rest are on my home WiFi.

And to be real honest, only the 6s+ is actually used with any frequency.
To be more succinct financial data that impacts money and other instruments.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
To be more succinct financial data that impacts money and other instruments.
While I do have that stuff on my primary and secondary phones (11 Pro Max and 6s+), as I mentioned in another thread, I tend to do any financial transactions on my computers. Those are old too, but I'm primarily paying bills on long established accounts that are set to authenticate with 2FA or Google Authenticator. Other stuff, like eBay or Amazon are also set the same way.

I know when my bills are due, I know what I have and I know how all these sites communicate with me because I set it all up.

Reactions: sam_dean

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just got another security update (15.73) for my 6s several days ago.
OK I take that back. They are doing some critical updates but to my understanding you don't get all the security updates. It's the same thing with macOS. People see they're still getting some updates and assume that they're getting all the updates but that's not true. Apple is really dodgy when it comes to answering questions about security updates because they don't want the bad guys knowing exactly what to do.

I guess depending on what you do with your device. You might be OK if it's just a phone and text message device but if you're someone that keeps all your bank cards, pay bills and stuff like that I would be hesitant to be on an older version of the OS.

Reactions: max2

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I'm more impressed by the fact that someone was using an IPHONE 4 in 2023 as supposed to the fire.
In sh_thole nations that's the iPhone of choice.

I'm just wondering whether the couple's cost cutting or tech phobic

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I shelved my iPhone 4 in its original box when I got my iPhone 5.

At some point in the intervening years, the battery expanded and blew out the back glass.
Makes sense to just liquidate old devices upon activating new ones.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Makes sense to just liquidate old devices upon activating new ones.
People use older devices constantly and they’re useful. Like the pointless security argument, this argument of “it’s fully updated or you should burn it in a little bonfire” is getting way too common for how wrong it is.

Just to illustrate how against it I am, I don’t have a single device that I use regularly that’s fully updated. Not one. I don’t have a single iOS device on iOS or iPadOS 16, either, and it’s not because they’re too old to run it.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
People use older devices constantly and they’re useful. Like the pointless security argument, this argument of “it’s fully updated or you should burn it in a little bonfire” is getting way too common for how wrong it is.

Just to illustrate how against it I am, I don’t have a single device that I use regularly that’s fully updated. Not one. I don’t have a single iOS device on iOS or iPadOS 16, either, and it’s not because they’re too old to run it.
My financial data's important to me and I rather not deal with hotline calls to resolve it over the fact I failed to update software.

If others do not have that sense of urgency then I look forward to your forum post about it.

When the device will be left idle then liquidate or else it may catch fire and the pointless argument on security becomes moot.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My financial data's important to me and I rather not deal with hotline calls to resolve it over the fact I failed to update software.

If others do not have that sense of urgency then I look forward to your forum post about it.
Just scroll up, my forum post about it is in this very thread.

When the device will be left idle then liquidate or else it may catch fire and the pointless argument on security becomes moot.
If this is a real concern for you, then you need to get serious and ditch any device you have that uses these type of batteries, no matter how new. Your current devices are fire hazards right now.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Agree with @eyoungren, the real (i.e., not perceived, but tangible) security and safety risk is so infinitely low that it’s a non-issue.

Risk assessment is often way off the mark: it’s far riskier to get into a car, or ride watercraft, or any other number of activities, than your house catching fire due to a battery. It just isn’t common or frequent enough. People use millions of 12-year-old devices without issues.

The only safety precaution I take is using original, slow chargers, and avoiding heat at all costs. The likelihood of anything happening is microscopically low.

Reactions: clueless88

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Agree with @eyoungren, the real (i.e., not perceived, but tangible) security and safety risk is so infinitely low that it’s a non-issue.

Risk assessment is often way off the mark: it’s far riskier to get into a car, or ride watercraft, or any other number of activities, than your house catching fire due to a battery. It just isn’t common or frequent enough. People use millions of 12-year-old devices without issues.

The only safety precaution I take is using original, slow chargers, and avoiding heat at all costs. The likelihood of anything happening is microscopically low.
Statistics are simply irrelevant to the afflicted individual(s). If you are one of the victims of a one in a million event, you (or your family/friends) take little solace in the fact that there are 999,999 non-victims.

It is difficult for many to do risk assessment independent of emotion and/or external (mis)information, especially like the one in the Inside Edition piece that the OP posted.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Statistics are simply irrelevant to the afflicted individual(s). If you are one of the victims of a one in a million event, you (or your family/friends) take little solace in the fact that there are 999,999 non-victims.

It is difficult for many to do risk assessment independent of emotion and/or external (mis)information, especially like the one in the Inside Edition piece that the OP posted.
Agreed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.