Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'm going to go with new mobile me and a mac mini refresh. Possibly the iphone 4g that's been mentioned for T-Mobile and Sprint.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
This kind of practices for a retail store sound creepy regardless of what this event is about.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Eh! Let the countdown begin! Too soon for iOS 5 as that will be in the WWDC. There are however several Mac overdue for a refresh maybe it is one of those or the mobileme refresh but given that there haven't been any rumors about a hardware refresh I would think it would be something software related... But what is all that hardware about?

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
My head says it's nothing but my heart says it's the long-awaited GeoPort Telecom Adapter firmware update.

DaveDaveDave

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
Hmm.. The MobileMe/iCloud things has been hanging, as has Lion, and a TB equipped MacPro and Mac Mini. What the heck, I'll say all of the above.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Have to ask if this happened before the iMac refresh just 2 weeks ago, or before the Macbook Pro refresh a few months back that there were all these early morning secret meetings and gigabytes of downloads...if not, then it's something other than just the refresh of the Air or Mac Mini.

Couldn't be the upgrade to Final Cut X either, too niche of a market to get every Apple store buzzing.

One of the few things, logically, that would get everyone in a tizzy and get "training" for store employees and reams of downloads would be something that isn't "shipped", but something that's "announced" and goes live. So my guess would be a Mobile Me revamp.

But then again, that would warrant a live press even from Apple, and has that been scheduled?

chase.fegan

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Toronto, ON
Early release of Lion?

Considering the rumour mill has been keeping Apple from being able to surprise us all, maybe they're releasing Lion early, finding a new way to keep us all on our toes. Wouldn't surprise me, considering that by the time Apple announces their new big thing, we already know most everything they want to tell us. Fingers crossed. :)

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
MacMini, MacMini MacMini so I can put this 867 G4 to rest for good (and to get rid of an oversized desk in the process)
(Don't worry I have a quad-core laptop running 7 that I enjoy) but I do miss using my Mac as it is just too slow anymore:)

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iCloud with simultaneous availability of 10.6.8 to support it.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I have never seen on this site where the rumor of an employee meeting has actually resulted in the release of a new product (or announcement thereof) related to the meeting. This is some internal store design thing or maybe a sale of some kind, if it's in fact anything at all.

Apple would not do anything big on a Sunday and without a big press-ridden event presentation. Not happening.

Tony

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Any possibility of a new MBA announcement & preparation?

Seems unlikely: The MBA has been rumored for an early-middle June release.

This 'event' is something bigger than a simple refresh of an existing product.

JohnG

cprich

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
The new iPod Classic? Didn't Jobs say earlier this year or late last year that it wasn't dead by a long shot?

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Considering the rumour mill has been keeping Apple from being able to surprise us all, maybe they're releasing Lion early, finding a new way to keep us all on our toes. Wouldn't surprise me, considering that by the time Apple announces their new big thing, we already know most everything they want to tell us. Fingers crossed. :)

No way would it be Lion. That's WWDC territory...and developers usually get it first so they can plan their application upgrades or compatibility with a product that's near completion. The beta's they've been pushing out isn't enough of a finished product to test...also if there are any new features they haven't revealed, then developers need to see those too. I kind of doubt we've seen everything that's going to be in Lion so far.

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I remember they held a meeting like this near the beginning of the year and it turned out to be nothing- I think just general training.

However, based on the various clues in the article, if I had to guess I would say it is the iPhone coming to T-Mobile and Sprint. Possibly with an upgraded iphone 4 with the A5 processor. It also seems to coincide with a lot of pricing and policy changes occurring for T-Mobile on May 21-22. Just a wild guess though.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
This is not a normal 'overnight'. Nor is this a normal meeting.

1. This overnight includes more employees than normal. This overnight also includes more hours. The iPad 2 launch overnight had very few employees, no black curtains during the night, and no cell phones taken away.

2. This meeting had an one week notice. That is not normal at all. Most 'all-hands' meetings have an one month notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.