Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
This is 100% correct. I guess the people that are upset reboot their macs dozens of times per day... So waiting must be infuriating? Otherwise I can't think of any reason why shutdown times are relevant.

It's not JUST that the shutdown times are a problem; it's that they are symptomatic of a bigger issue.

What SHOULD happen is the app is told "shutdown", it saves some small amount of state, and the kernel kills the process. If that does not happen, then it means the app is not responding appropriately to kernel messages; which in turn means that when the kernel force kills it, there may be unsaved state which is not pushed out to disk. Then next time you start the app you learn the happy news that some file or other is inconsistent and needs to be deleted.

Now, sure, if this happens for third party apps, there is nothing Apple can do about that. (Except name and shame them...)
But it doesn't only happen for 3rd party apps. Mail is a NOTORIOUS example for not handling shutdowns properly. Safari used to be a problem, though I don't think I've had an issue with the most recent version. Screen Sharing sometimes gets confused at shut down.

There are also strange HW things that occasionally seem to happen at the kernel level where, after all apps are killed, the screen just stays grey showing a spinner for 60 seconds. WTF is going on there? If data is being pushed out from caches to disk, the process is taking way too long, which suggests that something else is going wrong --- which again is very worrying --- the last thing you want is for your HD to be in some sort of inconsistent state during a period as delicate as shutdown/startup.

----------

People who are saying that Apple allocates only a fraction of their team to OS X and puts most of the team for developing for iOS: Is there any evidence of this anywhere on the internet?

Would be great if you can find that, as, I, myself would like to know how many resources Apple really allocates for OS X. For me, this is probably one of the biggest factors in purchasing the next Mac because it shows what direction the company is heading in. I would expect premium software from a premium machine.

It's a somewhat meaningless distinction. Things have been pioneered on iOS and moved to OSX, or vice versa. At the core OS level, for example, ledgers (resource management), sandboxing and location have all moved from iOS to OSX, likewise for the Layer Manager and Core Animation at the UI level.

And of course tools (LLVM and all its toolchain pieces, XCode) apply to both --- eg blocks and other such improvements to Objective C, or optimizations past and future (coming up soon we'll have better auto-vectorization in LLVM, polyhedral optimization [restructuring loops for better cache behavior], and more aggressive link-time whole program restructuring/optimization).

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
This thread is a mess....

People seem to be interested more about whinning and complaining about apple's software release policy, instead of ACTUAL IMPORTANT stuff that people need to hear about and get an answer like THIS:

Can anyone tell me how the following Apps perform in 12D76 on a MBPr, preferably 15”:
- Preview (scrolling in large PDF's)
- Mail (scrolling in large mail threads)
- Safari (scrolling on large web pages)
- Calendar (all animations, especially swiping between months)

Also, how is the general UI performing? Mission Control, swiping between desktops, etc.? If someone could please do the following test in 12D76: Open QuickTime -> File -> New Screen Recording and start doing a screen recording. Then go in and out of Mission Control, swipe a bit between desktops and see how it generally performs. In 10.8.2 this action makes the machine practically useless as it takes up to 5-10 seconds just to open up Mission Control. Maybe I should add, that this action performs perfectly on a MB Air.

If anyone could please post something about these performance issues, it would be extremely helpful.

So if people could actually start replying to such posts and inform us about the actual improvements that everyone is waiting... yeah... that would be great...

a lot of people are waiting for these improvements and we want to know whether 10.8.3 has addressed them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.