Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watcurb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
You may need to do a repair on your library, a lot of folks had to do it lately on the betas. To do this, hold the CMD+Option keys before opening Photos.app.

Tried repairing the Photos library and still photos in Albums are out of order from what they are in iPhoto.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
This update has made my 2015 13" rMBP run smoother (at least for now). It also boots a lot faster.

EDIT: it slowed down again lol. never mind.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Hows the stability of this release? 10.10.2 was so bad for me in terms of UI Lag, Ram issues, system freezing etc so i have gone back to Mavericks as thats perfectly fine.

iOS 8.3 is amazing and has seen massive performance increases i would like to think 10.10.3 has had the same treatment :)

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
the new beta on my iphone solved the FaceTime issue :) :apple:

Which Mac are you using? It didn't for me. Still have "Cannot Turn On iPhone Cellular Calls" FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same Apple ID to use iPhone Cellular Calls." When trying to enable iPhone Cellular Calls.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Which Mac are you using? It didn't for me. Still have "Cannot Turn On iPhone Cellular Calls" FaceTime and iCloud must be signed in to the same Apple ID to use iPhone Cellular Calls." When trying to enable iPhone Cellular Calls.

hmm, I checked again and it's off now! The only thing changed is the wifi from work to the wifi home.

i'm on a rmbp late 2013 and iphone 5.

continuity/handoff doesn't seem to work either anymore

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
hmm, I checked again and it's off now! The only thing changed is the wifi from work to the wifi home.

i'm on a rmbp late 2013 and iphone 5.

continuity/handoff doesn't seem to work either anymore

Interesting. I'll try and switch WiFi settings and see if that enables it.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
So far so good. It looks like the blurry font issue has been resolved. Fingers crossed.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
I am testing out the OS X Yosemite beta and mostly interested in the beta for testing out photos app. But unlike many other beta testers out there I can't get past 13% where I keep getting this error as you can see in the attachment. It keeps telling me photos was unable to make a backup of my library before preparing it. Am I doing something wrong? How can I get around this? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 90

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This update has made my 2015 13" rMBP run smoother (at least for now). It also boots a lot faster.

EDIT: it slowed down again lol. never mind.

You know it doesn't slow down that fast if it is purely OS. You might want to check to console and/or activity monitor to see why it is slowing down. It sounds like you might have something leaking.

Is it fast again after a reboot?

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
You know it doesn't slow down that fast if it is purely OS. You might want to check to console and/or activity monitor to see wh it is slowing down. It sounds like you might have something leaking.

Is it fast again after a reboot?

Yeah. It's purely the GUI choppiness though

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah. It's purely the GUI choppiness though

You have to give more details. If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the system is stuttering rather than the GUI being choppy. You should still keep an eye on both activity monitor/console apps. I'd keep both open all the time and watch for anything weird over time.

One suggestion is to reduce the transparency in the System Pref's Accessibility > Display options, see if that does anything.

Last edited:

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Don't know whether this is a Yosemite thing or a Chrome thing, but has anyone else seen that Chrome is using DRASTICALLY less RAM on this build?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Don't know whether this is a Yosemite thing or a Chrome thing, but has anyone else seen that Chrome is using DRASTICALLY less RAM on this build?

Are you sure it wasn't a silent Chrome update? I have not seen any improvements for Chrome, it's still RAM heavy compared to Safari/Firefox.

Mervoid

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
WiFi now Super Slow after Beta 5 install on 13" 2012 MacBook Air

I've installed every beta of 10.10.3 with various small issues that have all been addressed for the most part with subsequent releases but after having updated to beta 5, my WiFi connectivity has slowed to a crawl. Other releases have had no effect on WiFi. It's now approximately 10 times slower than normal. I have a Dell PC sitting right beside my MacBook Air and it's zooming along nicely, along with my wife's MBA on Mavericks and an iPad, an iPod Touch and my iPhone (all fine) so it's definitely not my router. Anyone else seeing this in the latest beta? Any immediate fixes come to mind? Perhaps something I haven't read here as yet...

denilol

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
You have to give more details. If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the system is stuttering rather than the GUI being choppy. You should still keep an eye on both activity monitor/console apps. I'd keep both open all the time and watch for anything weird over time.

Known Yosemite GUI animation issues are often consistent, they don't slow down over time, they start out slow right away.

One suggestion is to reduce the transparency in the System Pref's Accessibility > Display options, see if that does anything.

Some of Yosemite's GUI issues are literally the opposite of what you just said. Mission Control animations slow down over time. Other issue are demonstrable from first boot, like resizing windows.

Reducing transparency shouldn't be necessary, nor should watching activity monitor all the time.

That said, this latest build has been really great for me. It's faster and smoother and hasn't slowed yet.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I've downloaded an app called Tinkertool - it allows you to get 'under the hood' of the OS and turn various animations off so windows just appear. Fixed all my choppiness. I just want it to work, I couldn't give a toss about all the fancy stuff.

bcc2k

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
Known Yosemite GUI animation issues are often consistent, they don't slow down over time, they start out slow right away.
That's not true. The problem is the WindowServer process. After time (and heavy use of Preview) it gradually uses more Ram and CPU-Time. In my experience this directly leads to choppiness of various animations. The systems Ram usage or other Applications can be inconspicuous, but the animations still lag.
When you kill this process (and therefore get logged out again) the smooth ui is back.

I've experienced this on my 2013 rMBP (2,4/8/256) and it only started with Yosemite. On (later) Mavericks builds, I haven't had such problems.

TP18

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Under File select Show Recently Deleted. Then click on one of the tabs to get out of the deleted photos album, because oddly there is no clear "back" button in that album.

Ah yes. Thanks! It is well-hidden. I eventually found it with apples awesome "Help" search.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Some of Yosemite's GUI issues are literally the opposite of what you just said. Mission Control animations slow down over time. Other issue are demonstrable from first boot, like resizing windows.

Reducing transparency shouldn't be necessary, nor should watching activity monitor all the time.

That said, this latest build has been really great for me. It's faster and smoother and hasn't slowed yet.

That's not true. The problem is the WindowServer process. After time (and heavy use of Preview) it gradually uses more Ram and CPU-Time. In my experience this directly leads to choppiness of various animations. The systems Ram usage or other Applications can be inconspicuous, but the animations still lag.
When you kill this process (and therefore get logged out again) the smooth ui is back.

I've experienced this on my 2013 rMBP (2,4/8/256) and it only started with Yosemite. On (later) Mavericks builds, I haven't had such problems.

Yea, I stand corrected. I wasn't clear about what I said. What I meant is that the OS experience should generally be consistent across reboots, it shouldn't be far worse after another reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.