Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Install of this beta failed for me. After download and restart I get: "OS X El Capitan Update could not be verified". Then it skips the update and restarts.
I tried twice, same result. Problem with App Store again?
I'm having this same issue. Tried several times but the "could not be verified" message is always present. Anyone else with the issue found a solution?

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
And is it fixed in this one? anyone??

Nope, i still have the following issues, that appear to be specific to my iMac 27 5k Late 2015 as all the items work fine on my MacBook Air!

None of the following are recognised:

Lexar USB 3 5 in 1 Card Reader
External HD only work sin port 1 (nearest the power cable)
Anker USB 3 Hub
Lexar USB 3 Micro USB Adaptor

I also have problems with my Corsair USB 3 32GB Pen Drive

I can't believe they can't get this issue resolved! They all work fine on the same build of El Capitan on my MacBook Air!

I have submitted another Feedback Form,

Living in hope of a fix...

Reactions: Jamesk811

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Install of this beta failed for me. After download and restart I get: "OS X El Capitan Update could not be verified". Then it skips the update and restarts.
I got the same error also. I restarted and downloaded a fresh beta and the new installation went smoothly.

LukeWorm

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
France

Replying to myself that problem solved by deleting the appstore folder in the user temp folder and the reinstalling the update. To get to this temp folder, in Terminal issue command: open $TMPDIR../C/

ClaveMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Saint Louis
Mac Fly (film) said:
,..And 'System Prefrences' should be renamed "Settings" for further the cross pollination simplification in Apple's various systems. Even someone using a desktop OS for the first time knows what Settings is.

I am passing along a letter I got today from Princeton, NJ.

Mr Mac Fly,
I read with utmost curiosity your suggestion to rename System Preferences to System Settings. Years ago I approached Steve to discuss renaming it System Choices. Steve laughed and said he would if he could. You see there are approximately 1 bazillion preference files hidden in every users Library folder. It would take 10 years to reprogram OS X to use something other than preferences for all those ~/Library files.

The good news is quantum physics. There are three copies of each of us out there using either Preferences, Settings, or Choices!

Cheers!
AE

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Nope, i still have the following issues, that appear to be specific to my iMac 27 5k Late 2015 as all the items work fine on my MacBook Air!

Anker USB 3 Hub

I can't believe they can't get this issue resolved! They all work fine on the same build of El Capitan on my MacBook Air!

Same here on the 15 imac. This is hard to believe that they can miss this. I wonder what the config is that is causing this? So basically we can't update any further until they notice this issue I guess. What a mess..... I guess once this version goes live we can call applecare and see if they can get anything done, but then again, I don't want to even be on this update if I can't access my usb flash drives etc. Something in the USB bus that is different on these new imacs, but it was working fine up to 10.11.1, so I just don't get what it could be?

Reactions: jgrove

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I am passing along a letter I got today from Princeton, NJ.

Mr Mac Fly,
I read with utmost curiosity your suggestion to rename System Preferences to System Settings. Years ago I approached Steve to discuss renaming it System Choices. Steve laughed and said he would if he could. You see there are approximately 1 bazillion preference files hidden in every users Library folder. It would take 10 years to reprogram something other than preferences.

The good news is quantum physics. There are three copies of each of us out there using either Preferences, Settings, or Choices!

Cheers!
AE

Maybe this explains why El Capitan cannot authenticate my Apple ID?
I know it's valid or I wouldn't be able to file bug reports right?
But yet I cannot purchase or play my music or use iCloud? Apple has really dropped the ball. :-(

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Same here on the 15 imac. This is hard to believe that they can miss this. I wonder what the config is that is causing this? So basically we can't update any further until they notice this issue I guess. What a mess..... I guess once this version goes live we can call applecare and see if they can get anything done, but then again, I don't want to even be on this update if I can't access my usb flash drives etc. Something in the USB bus that is different on these new imacs, but it was working fine up to 10.11.1, so I just don't get what it could be?

I would imagine its a chipset issue, that Apple haven't worked out how to fix, but clearly it needs fixing, my workflow is a nightmare without functioning USB ports. I'll just keep sending the feedback forms in, but ultimately if they still don't work it'll be going back to the store.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ

Anker USB 3 Hub

Also USB sound input devices [radioSHARK] still not working in this update of 10.11.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I created another report about the usb drives, but it may be limited to only some chipsets or something and they may never fix this I fear. Not sure what to do if this is released with this issue.

swrobel

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2014
On the public beta and now my iMac 27" Late 2015 display won't wake from sleep. The computer wakes (which I know because it still makes sound and I can screen share to it) but the display won't wake til I reboot. Reported to Apple thru Feedback Assistant.

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
I'm getting delivery of an OWC internal SSD and tools tomorrow for my mid-2010 27" iMac. Currently i'm using Beta 5 on the factory internal 1Tb HDD. When I have the OWC SSD installed will Carbon Copy CLoner work (with Beta 5) to clone the HDD over to the SSD??

Thanks for your time.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
USB devices also not working here like my seagate hard drive containing all my time machine backups (had to buy new hard drive which surprisingly worked). Also not working is my usb 3.0 card reader and other usb devices like camcorder etc

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
It's not confined to just iMacs. My hypothesis is that the USB XHCI driver is being rewritten for USB 3.1 v2 and/or Thunderbolt 3. In the process there are bugs occurring. That's acceptable for beta releases but it shouldn't be in mainstream releases.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Other than the Bluetooth network sharing (which I thought was my own fault because I regularly get bluetooth messed up in testing), I am not seeing any bugs you have listed.

To me, this beta seems fast, reliable and SMOOOTHER™....

About where things should have been back in September.

I am running out of things to complain about.... All I have left is the choice of the ugly font San Francisco.

Well, as i've spent half a day with APple support for the Bluetooth/Airdrop/Handsoff issue, and as they acknoledged it's a known issue they only expect an update to solve, I would say I know better than you do on this matter.

And since I've also spend half a day with Synology support because of AFP/SMB issues they also knew, I would tend to consider you should not express your opinion on matters you know little about.

Last edited:

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Correction: this has been an issue since 10.8, long before El Capitan. Not sure if your post was intended to mock people for wanting things fixed so quickly but in the case of SMB, it's been years and Apple has even acknowledged it as a known issue.

Still waiting....

You should read all the words, and you would read AFP issue.
This is a new issue that they acknoledged after me losing half a day online with the support. Only thing they could do was to wish me good luck and that an update would fix the issue.
AFP.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
I like this update. My system shuts down even faster and the usb3 hub is not waking from sleep like it started doing after beta3 or 4.

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
If anyone has the USB problems please please report via feedback assistant, i am pulling my hair out, and i don't have much left!

Cheers

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Has anybody noticed a problem where Finder does not refresh amount of free space in status bar until restart? I don't want to report it because possibly it's XtraFinder's fault, so I wondered if it's just me...

1. have, say, 45.5 GB space free
2. delete a 5 GB file
3. empty trash
4. still have 45.5 GB space free

Restart fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.