Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Has the POP email "message cannot be downloaded from server" issue been resolved?
Since updating yesterday, I haven't seen that error. Usually, it'll occur once or twice a day when manually fetching Gmail. Doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed yet.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Who are you really helping here by being apologetic for a corporation's flaws in software optimization?

The facts are laid out: put an iPhone 6 running iOS 8 beside an iPhone 6 running iOS 9 and the difference in speed is clear.

It's sad to see how people are being pro-company and not pro-consumer.
I dont think its people being pro company and not pro consumer. Its just that 1/4 of a second loading an app delay difference or an animation frame drop once in a while does not outweigh the rest of the benefit of iOS 9. Some here act as if that makes the device unusable. I, just like everyone else would like it as fast as possible but the comparison between my wifes iP6 on 8.4.1 and my iP6 on 9.1 is negligible and you really have to look hard to see any difference. The iOS 9 stability improvements, security, and features far outweigh that small difference for me and I would suspect most users. And surely it will only get better with time.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
I dont think its people being pro company and not pro consumer. Its just that 1/4 of a second loading an app delay difference or an animation frame drop once in a while does not outweigh the rest of the benefit of iOS 9. Some here act as if that makes the device unusable. I, just like everyone else would like it as fast as possible but the comparison between my wifes iP6 on 8.4.1 and my iP6 on 9.1 is negligible and you really have to look hard to see any difference. The iOS 9 stability improvements, security, and features far outweigh that small difference for me and I would suspect most users. And surely it will only get better with time.

My one year old iPhone 6 shouldn't feel anything less than buttery smooth. My brand new iPhone 6S Plus shouldn't have ANY lag. A premium product should deliver both premium hardware and software.

Reactions: AllergyDoc

dkelban

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014

Apple today seeded the first beta of iOS 9.2 to developers for testing purposes, just under a week after the public release of iOS 9.1. iOS 9.1 brought new emoji and several under-the-hood fixes for issues that have plagued users since the launch of iOS 9.

ios_9_2_beta_1.jpg

The iOS 9.2 beta is available for download immediately from the Apple Developer Center, and it's likely a public beta will be available in the near future. There's also an Xcode 7.2 beta available.

It is not yet known what changes iOS 9.2 will bring to Apple's newest operating system, iOS 9, but as a major .1 update, iOS 9.2 is likely to introduce new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes. We'll update this post with any changes that are discovered in the beta.

What's new in iOS 9.2
According to the release notes the Safari view window that pops up in some apps will now support third-party Action Extensions. Any Action Extension that works in Safari will also work in SFSafariViewController, allowing it to behave more like the traditional Safari app.

safariviewcontroller-800x707.jpg

In the Hipchat app for iOS, clicking a link brings up an in-app browser. In iOS 9.1, seen on the left, there's no option for third-party extensions. In iOS 9.2, seen on the right, there's support for third-party extensions like 1Password.

Long tapping on the Reload button in the Safari View Controller in a Safari window within an app will also offer options to reload content without content blockers and request desktop site. These options have long existed in the actual Safari app, but are new to the Safari browser used within apps.

Using the same Hipchat example as above, when tapping the refresh icon at the top, I can now hold down to bring up an option to request desktop site or load content without a content blocker. In iOS 9.1, pressing on the refresh icon does nothing.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First iOS 9.2 Beta to Developers

dkelban

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Let's see if they fix the problem IOS 9.1 created with email: "not downloaded from server" problems, and not downloading images that are part of (not an attachment to) the email

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So we're gonna have another lot of short release cycle 9.x updates that don't end up really fixing anything because not enough time was put into them?

Fantastic.

I miss the iOS 7 days where Apple put a lot of work into 7.1 which actually needed up speeding up pretty much every device.
I suppose if I had a good experience with iOS 7 on my devices then I might feel the same way. iOS 7 was horrendous on all of my devices. It started out bad and simply got worse with each update. None of my devices were faster on any version of iOS 7 than they were on 6. Even within iOS 7 there were no speed improvements across point upgrades.

I'd much prefer more frequent but smaller updates that resolve issues. Smaller updates are simpler and easier to bundle and system test and they get the fix out to people who need them quicker. Then produce a final optimized/cleaned update 3-6 months before the next major release. As it is, Apple appears to get to a point of "good enough" and then move on to the next major release.

bz101

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
Things seems solid on iOS 9.2 beta 1 except meeting invites from Exchange (2010 or 2013 I believe as my company is not on O365). I see the invite attachment but can not accept from Mail. When I click the icon for the invite it says "Mail cannot open this attachment." If I go into Calendar, the inbox has the request where I can accept. So not a huge issue but a major annoyance. I've tried resetting, restoring, deleting the Exchange account and re-adding, turning on S/MIME, turning off "Handle invites from Mail" setting in Calendar. This was working fine in iOS 9.1. Anybody ever see this before? Thx.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Yeah but there where a billion when 7 or 8 were released. Comparing a 1 month old firmware to a firmware that took 10-11 months to release makes no sense.
You think there will be threads about iOS 9 just before iOS 10 is released?

You guys have such short term memory. iOS 9 is not perfect but it is still the best .0 release in years and that includes the "beloved" iOS 6.
It is not the best .0 release in years.

Second, Apple *explicitly* promised performance improvements. They did not do so with iOS 8 and iOS 9. For that reason, complaining about iOS 9 performace is justified.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is not the best .0 release in years.

Second, Apple *explicitly* promised performance improvements. They did not do so with iOS 8 and iOS 9. For that reason, complaining about iOS 9 performace is justified.
Not delivering on promises is one thing, but the fact that it has been a better X.0 release than 8.0 or 7.0 have been is basically a given.

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
I Hope Apple really Fix EVERYTHING performace and frame drops issues... for a 1109 euros device.. expecially from Apple it's a scam that some bug from iOS 8 is still present in iOS9... Metal in iOS 9 UI it's a joke...
Next year ... is my first year that i have to consider not to buying another Apple product.

( sorry for my english ... i know it's not the best english on the planet ).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
9.2 will hopefully resolve it all for everyone.

Last edited:

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Cars are much more expensive and quite a few come with some trivial flaws here and there. Most things in life aren't perfect for everyone. That's not say that people shouldn't want things to be as good as they can be, but often enough expecting pure perfection is just getting set up for disappointment.

it's not about "thinking in pure perfection" it's about a device that costs a extreme premium price and out of the box still full of performance and cosmetics issues.. frame drops.. battery drain.. inconsistent performance.. compromised SpriteKit framework... at 1 month from it's release on the market.

I'am a buyer that pay "a premium price" but want a "premium attention on the detail and on the user experience" and i can't really understand how is possible that this problems are present io iOS9.1 if on ios 8.4.1/7.1.2 all works without performance and frame drops problems.. in 9.1 "after 5 betas" the situation is dramatic on a 2015 device... expecially in respective PLUS versions.

i know that ARM Risc architecture it's not the same of an x86 CISC ...but man... a little bit of sane care about public image is necessary and expected from a company like Apple that claim continuous performance increease and a perfect optimized "hardware / software" eco system.

Last edited:

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
iOS 9.x has ALWAYS been laggy, hell the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus practically were laggy on day 1 because Apple did a terrible/greedy job on upgrading the iPhone RAM and cpu from the iPhone 5S.

A new bug I found on iOS 9.2 PB2: approximately 50% of the time I unlock my iPhone, the phone becomes unresponsive to touch on the home screen. To fix it, if you relock and unlock the iphone, it will show white and grey flickering shapes at the top of the screen (does not appear in screenshots), then eventually the news app randomly opens. Locking the iPhone once more and unlocking and then Quiting the news app fixes the issue... Until you relock your iPhone. What's strange is this issue randomly showed up after several days of iOS 9.2 use. Hard reset and standard iPhone power cycling does not fix the bug.

Last edited:

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
iOS 9.x has ALWAYS been laggy, hell the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus practically were laggy on day 1 because Apple did a terrible/greedy job on upgrading the iPhone RAM and cpu from the iPhone 5S.

A new bug I found: approximately 50% of the time I unlock my iPhone, the phone becomes unresponsive to touch on the home screen. To fix it, if you relock and unlock the iphone, it will show white and grey flickering shapes at the top of the screen (does not appear in screenshots), then eventually the news app randomly opens. Locking the iPhone once more and unlocking and then Quiting the news app fixes the issue... Until you relock your iPhone. What's strange is this issue randomly showed up after several days of iOS 9.2 use. Hard reset and standard iPhone power cycling does not fix the bug.

9.2 beta1 or beta 2 ?.
thanks! :).

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Oh I apologize. I am currently running iOS 9.2 public beta 1.

9.2 beta 2 .. Completely fix "Frame Drop issues" on 6s plus / 6 plus device.. both tsmc and samsung.

Uhm.. can you try to install beta 2 and verify about this bug ?. thanks :).

really simple if you not on private dev betas. just download the 9.2 beta 2 IPSW "Firmware" it's about 2.2gb .. connect your iphone to itunes and on "Check update" button /NOT RESTORE BUTTON/ press & hold Command on keyboard and click with the mouse on Check update button.. a little window like finder opens up and you can browse to select the new firmware.

don't worry... this is the "manual OTA" to install an update. your data, media and setting is completely safe trust me.
oh .. don't worry about UDID ... it's not required.

if you can't find the firmware on google.. let me know and i send you a private message .

thanks

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
9.2 beta 2 .. Completely fix "Frame Drop issues" on 6s plus / 6 plus device.. both tsmc and samsung.

Uhm.. can you try to install beta 2 and verify about this bug ?. thanks :).

really simple if you not on private dev betas. just download the 9.2 beta 2 IPSW "Firmware" it's about 2.2gb .. connect your iphone to itunes and on "Check update" button /NOT RESTORE BUTTON/ press & hold Command on keyboard and click with the mouse on Check update button.. a little window like finder opens up and you can browse to select the new firmware.

don't worry... this is the "manual OTA" to install an update. your data, media and setting is completely safe trust me.
oh .. don't worry about UDID ... it's not required.

if you can't find the firmware on google.. let me know and i send you a private message .

thanks

Remind me, if I do this, my iPhone will receive future developer wireless delta updates from now on (until the final release to public).

If I don't do this, what are your thoughts regarding when beta 2 will be released for public beta testers? (Based on past release schedules)

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Remind me, if I do this, my iPhone will receive future developer wireless delta updates from now on (until the final release to public).

If I don't do this, what are your thoughts regarding when beta 2 will be released for public beta testers? (Based on past release schedules)

IF you have a public beta you abviously have enrolled on a beta testing program with an installed profile.. in this case you receive only the "public beta to GM"

if you install this update "in some cases" you receive all OTA for developer betas but this is not 100% guaranteed.

you really know this problem you have found and i'm curious if this problem persist in 9.2 beta 2 .. im unable to replicate issues described by you .. :).

Anyway... think tomorrow or after tomorrow this beta 2 will be on public segment.

for what i tested on 9.2 beta 2 ... it's absolutely fantastic.. the smothness reached is compared to ios 5/6 on 3gs!!!:

( really sorry for my english... never use it in a common speaking )

Last edited:

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
for what i tested on 9.2 beta 2 ... it's absolutely fantastic.. the smothness reached is compared to ios 5/6 on 3gs!!!:

So the public beta was launched today and I installed the update. Currently, this exact issue is still occurring for me and is now happening on every unlock. I think i might have to do a restore. :-/

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
So the public beta was launched today and I installed the update. Currently, this exact issue is still occurring for me and is now happening on every unlock. I think i might have to do a restore. :-/

uhmm... i'm sorry for that...

can you try to do a "reset all setting" via iphone settings menu ?.

sometime issues happens on betas installed via OTA. try to install ios 9.2 beta2 via itunes "DFU" and make it a "new iphone" don't use a restore from backup.
i can't replicate your issues... :(.

To replicate the problem i have to lock the iphone .. and unlock it and unresponsive touch in home screen happens with some flickering on the upper right corner right ?.

i make a video of this. just to know if other device have this problem.

( sorry for my english.. hope you understand what i have wrote ).

update:
Link to my video where i'm try to replicate the issue on iOS 9.2 Beta2 "5060d Build"
iPhone 6s Plus. "Manual update via iTunes with iOS 9.2 Beta2 IPSW File"
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11495067/ios9.2b2_iphone6splus.m4v

Last edited:

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I am avoiding this at the moment but acknowledge I will have to do this eventually likely tomorrow morning. It's going to sound crazy, I noticed the screen stopped flickered and became responsive again after I frustratingly dropped my phone on a table a bit aggressively. Ever since, if I smack the back of my iPhone, it stops flickering and becomes responsive. Every time. Could this be hardware?

Quorro

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
I am avoiding this at the moment but acknowledge I will have to do this eventually likely tomorrow morning. It's going to sound crazy, I noticed the screen stopped flickered and became responsive again after I frustratingly dropped my phone on a table a bit aggressively. Ever since, if I smack the back of my iPhone, it stops flickering and becomes responsive. Every time. Could this be hardware?

I wanted to tell you That could be a hardware issues ... but not sure of this ...
for what you tell me now.. for sure is an hardware problem.. contact an Apple Retail Stores or Apple Care hot line.
have you take a look at my video about this issues ?. iphone 6s plus ios 9.2beta2.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11495067/ios9.2b2_iphone6splus.m4v

( sorry for my english ).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.