Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think people are being given enough credit, especially older users. A vast majority of what used to be "buttons" are text labels such as edit. How much clearer does it need to be? The only one I can think of which might be a problem at first is the 3 line menu, but everyone who has used an iDevice for the first time and was able to figure out iOS symbols the first time, not sure why it would be any different this time.
You'd be surprised. What sounds like "logical" or "common sense" isn't really that for a lot of people, especially when things are now thinner, lighter, and on a bright white background. There's definitely a difference, even if a lot of people "can't imagine it" or "can't quite figure it out". In any case though, it's not really what this particular thread is about.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Today, I've made some serious comparative tests to find out whether the claim of several MR forum members true. Many have stated the latest beta, beta 2 of iOS 7.1 have fixed the memory / Safari crashing problems. An example of these claims is at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18510004/ : there, forum member MikhailT stated "There are still some sites that crashes Safari but the good news is that the apps using WebView are no longer randomly crashing as they were before in iOS 7.0.x." Exactly this is what I'm going to scrutinize here (after all, my tester app does use UIWebView) - and prove it's, unfortunately, not exactly right.

More info: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18519697/

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Today, I've made some serious comparative tests to find out whether the claim of several MR forum members true. Many have stated the latest beta, beta 2 of iOS 7.1 have fixed the memory / Safari crashing problems. An example of these claims is at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18510004/ : there, forum member MikhailT stated "There are still some sites that crashes Safari but the good news is that the apps using WebView are no longer randomly crashing as they were before in iOS 7.0.x." Exactly this is what I'm going to scrutinize here (after all, my tester app does use UIWebView) - and prove it's, unfortunately, not exactly right.

More info: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18519697/

Your test proved that Apple didn't resolve the crashing on Nin.com site. It does not compare the actual typical experience in Safari and other apps with UIWebView. Other folks have verified the same claims that I made, it stopped crashing daily as it did in 7.0.x series.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Your test proved that Apple didn't resolve the crashing on Nin.com site. It does not compare the actual typical experience in Safari and other apps with UIWebView. Other folks have verified the same claims that I made, it stopped crashing daily as it did in 7.0.x series.

Yep, you are right. Safari is much more stable now. Yes, it can crash, but that happens rarely now..

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Weird.... I can't believe I was unaware of this.... & I've been downloading & updating software since the mid to late 90's.
Huh... So, .1 updates = lots of new features to BRAND NEW software. Hmm... sounds bizarre & counterintuitive, but you clearly know best.

/s

No, I was talking about iOS updates. And I think you knew that.

For iOS 0.0.1 updates are for bug fixes and 0.1 updates usually carry major new features or functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Can anyone confirm this on their 5S running 7.1b2 if this was fixed: bringing up multitasking menu and/or flicking through it briskly causes a respring, should note, it's quite random and very annoying.

Apple should have never allowed this to slip through the cracks. This is possibly due to low memory everyone is on about....

iPhone 5S on 7.0.4

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Can anyone confirm this on their 5S running 7.1b2 if this was fixed: bringing up multitasking menu and/or flicking through it briskly causes a respring, should note, it's quite random and very annoying.

Apple should have never allowed this to slip through the cracks. This is possibly due to low memory everyone is on about....

iPhone 5S on 7.0.4

I've yet to see a crash on my iPhone 5S running beta 2 since the day it came out.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I've had very good luck with this on my ipad and iPhone. Safari is better, no crashes and the refresh rate is ALOT better. My only problems are 1. I can't turn iMessage back on no matter what I do. 2. My emails are very slow to come through compared to my ipad. iPad is a retina mini and iPhone is a 5s. I completely wiped the phone and did a clean install and still no luck. Anyone have a clue how to fix this besides going back to 7.0.4? I am a developer and I can't find what's causing these issues especially since my ipad is working so well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.