Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan update to developers and public beta testers, two weeks after seeding the fourth beta and more than a month after releasing OS X 10.11.1, the first OS X El Capitan update, to the public.

The fifth beta, build 15C48a, is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center. Public beta testers can download the beta through the Mac App Store.

10_11_2_beta_5_720.jpg

OS X 10.11.2 appears to be an under-the-hood update as the four previous betas have not included any apparent outward-facing changes. OS X 10.11.2 is likely to include bug fixes, security enhancements, and performance improvements to address problems that have popped up since the release of OS X 10.11.1.

Apple's release notes for OS X 10.11.2 have asked developers to focus on Networking, Graphics, Mail, Wi-Fi, Calendar, USB, Notes, Photos, and Spotlight.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Reactions: 29er

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Installing Dev beta now! Have to say beta 4 runs like a champ on my MBPr.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
In the current 10.11.1 Notes has many bugs. System performance needs work. Mission control has issues. Wi-Fi networking still has serious bugs. And that annoying "followupd" thing in Notifications in System Prefrences needs to go. And 'System Prefrences' should be renamed "Settings" for further the cross pollination simplification in Apple's various systems. Even someone using a desktop OS for the first time knows what Settings is.

Last edited:

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Public Beta is currently downloading very slowly - 1-2 Mpbs on a connection that's about 100x faster than that.

EDIT: 5 minutes later it's downloading at full speed and about to reboot - I guess that's typical in the first 10 minutes or so from post time.

Last edited:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Done:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-30 um 19.24.07.png

And that one too:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-30 um 19.28.38.png

Strange the MBP asked for iCloud password and FileVault activation, the iMac did not.

Last edited:

xmlninja

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Likely due for final release before Christmas.

No news on new beta or final for the tvos update?

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Wait, we need more emoticons! Update sucks if no new emojis!

I did not count them before. :(:p

Why aren't they here in the forum by the way, at least the most common ones? I once tried to copy and paste some and most of them disappeared as I previewed my post, but a few of them stayed.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
In the current 10.11.1 Notes has many bugs. System performance needs work. Mission control has issues. Wi-Fi networking still has serious bugs. And that annoying "followupd" thing in Notifications in System Prefrences needs to go. And 'System Prefrences' should be renamed "Settings" for further the cross pollination simplification in Apple's various systems. Even someone using a desktop OS for the first time knows what Settings is.
Agree i often search for setting and get nothing then remember it's called system preferences. This is totally not what i would call it! Please change it apple and make it simple. OS X is great but it's got some thing s stuck in the past and i don't get as to why it should be that way. The software on OS X has made the leap but the os is still maintaining it's some old school L33T platform for tech heads when it has no right to even consider itself as anything but usable.

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Stable enough for me to put it on my rMBP?
It's definitely stable enough for your rMBP! I'm just not sure about mine.

Now will you please download it and tell us if it's any good, so I can decide if I'm willing to take this huge risk since I have no idea whether my backups work or how to restore from them?

[Every 10.11.2 beta has run well for me (better than the .1 official release was, which was one of the reasons why I've continued on the beta path), but you'd know this already if you'd tried them for yourself.]

Reactions: page404

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008

Totally agree with this. I find myself getting confused when I type in "settings" in the launchpad search field and nothing comes up.:confused:

Reactions: KingOfStuff

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I And 'System Prefrences' should be renamed "Settings" for further the cross pollination simplification in Apple's various systems.

Individual apps have a "Settings" in the menu for their settings, so renaming "System Preferences" to "Settings" would actually be confusing. In iOS the individual app settings are in Settings, not in the app itself. Completely different organization.

Of course, if you put the icon for System Preferences in the Dock, it's the same as that in iOS, so you do the the cross pollination there.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
Individual apps have a "Settings" in the menu for their settings, so renaming "System Preferences" to "Settings" would actually be confusing. In iOS the individual app settings are in Settings, not in the app itself. Completely different organization.

most apps have it named Preferences

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Still no fix for the portability of Mail Archives. Yeah, there are times when I'm not on my main Mac and still like to have a copy of Mail Archives accessible on my other Macs.

Reactions: KingOfStuff

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Anyone using the beta, can you tell me if it fixes this issue or adds an option to turn off:

In finder window, if you click on a folder moving forward, then click on the back button, it defaults to the top of the finder window instead of the original location you were browsing. This is a problem when you have hundreds of files and have to scroll back to your original location.

This default to top finder view is in El Capitan but not previous OS X versions. There are a lot of us annoyed by this like natural scroll but at least natural scroll added the option to turn off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.