Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Not all Macs still in use will support Maverick.

Such as? This time around that number is (thankfully) small since the list of supported macs is almost identical (or totally the same?) to the list for ML.

I'm still glad to see 10.8 updates although it seems like the smart move for anyone on 10.8 is to upgrade sooner or later.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I have a dev license and when I updated this time (which seemed to take longer that the other updates) a notification popped up that took me here: https://help.apple.com/osx-mavericks/whats-new

In 10.8.5 or the new DP of Mavericks? Interesting move if it was the former. A real sign they'll be trying to push upgrades (and maybe a sign it could be coming sooner than we think).

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Really, I don't understand all these beta releases for an outgoing operating system…..

Why would you not upgrade to a far superior OS? Mavericks is a quantum leap in performance.

I'm glad you don't run Apple. Thats such a Samsung/Android mentality. Ditch support for the old model as soon as a new product announced.

Last edited:

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
The 10 is the major version number of the operating system, that hasn't changed in 10 years. All modern Macs of the last 10 years run on "OS X", where "X" stands for 10.

The .8 and the .9 are the major releases that come every 1-2 years. 10.8 is the last major release (released in July 2012), and 10.9 is the next major release, coming this fall.

The major releases contain new features and performance improvements. They are paid upgrades.

Every OS has its bugs and stuff that needs to be fixed. That's were the minor version numbers (x.x.1) come in. They are free bugfixes and updates for the version you have. Like the bugfixes and service packs on Windows systems.

So 10.8.5 is a minor update and bugfix for OS X 10.8. When the new version is released, we will get minor updates in 10.9.1, 10.9.2, ... and we might yet get one minor update for OS X 10.8 if needed, which will be 10.8.6 (but might come out well after 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 is released).

Get it? ;)

Thank you sir :)

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad you don't run Apple. Thats such a Samsung/Android mentality. Ditch support for the old model as soon as a new product announced.
Lol, that is exactly what happens with Samsung and Android. Not.

jonatron

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Leeds, UK
Why would you not upgrade to a far superior OS? Mavericks is a quantum leap in performance.

Believe it or not, some people aren't just sitting around to move to the latest OS as it will be riddled with bugs if its anything like their previous releases.

Enterprises can not just deploy Mavericks as soon as it is out. Legacy software, java, finance systems, vpns and much more all needs to be working and tested. Plus its not easy to deploy to 10,000 macs the first of its release. A lot of users need to be on a stable working version of 10.8 for at least the next 6-12 months at least.

Take the blinkers off. Just because you are going to buy 10.9 the day it comes out it doesn't mean your situation applies to the rest of the world!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Really, I don't understand all these beta releases for an outgoing operating system…..

There are still outstanding issues, and Apple is to be lauded for not abandoning 1 gen old software. You definitely get your money's worth for that $29 OS. Apple continues to tweak their OSes till they're stable, and most issues are resolved. The same cannot be said for some other companies.

There are still people happily running Leopard or even Tiger.

Last edited:

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Not everyone will update to Mavericks, and there are still bugs/issues to fix in ML.

Still, making us wait that long just for an upgrade to an existing OSX.....ppffff. Probably they are not going to release it prior to the 10.9 release.

And I thought 10.8.4 was a slow release.......

----------

There are still outstanding issues, and Apple is to be lauded for not abandoning 1 gen old software. You definitely get your money's worth for that $29 OS. Apple continues to tweak their OSes till they're stable, and most issues are resolved. The same cannot be said for some other companies.

Right, and there are also still people traveling horse-back happily as well.....

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
System requirements for Mavericks and Mountain Lion are identical.

But some of the systems in use today do not use Mountain Lion - and may not support it, either. I believe that was the original intent of the first comment.

----------

Requirements of 3rd party sites is one of the reasons I have had to move up to another OS. At times. it is necessary to invest in a new machine to be able to run the newer OS.

The last update of Leopard OS X 10.5 was 10.5.8, so we may see 10.8.8 or even 10.8.9, not just 10.8.5 as the final version. I still maintain a hard drive with 10.5.8 as the boot system so I can download using Activity, a functionality removed after Leopard.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But some of the systems in use today do not use Mountain Lion - and may not support it, either. I believe that was the original intent of the first comment.

In the context of the discussion, the fact that older computers don't support Mountain Lion is irrelevant.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Until maybe 2 years ago that is EXACTLY what happened with Samsung and Android.
Not anymore so inform yourself before just throwing hate out there. Galaxy Nexus per example still got 4.3. The phone is 2 years old.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
In the context of the discussion, the fact that older computers don't support Mountain Lion is irrelevant.

Funny, I wrote up a response that was almost identical to what you said.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Did you even read what i wrote...
Yes. You said Android ditches support for old models as soon as new ones come out. As far as I know, Nexus 4 is out since November 2012 and Galaxy Nexus is still getting updated. If you wanted, you could've said "That was such a Samsung/Android mentality 2 years ago"

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..Right, and there are also still people traveling horse-back happily as well.....

The point was that not everybody needs the latest software, to have a satisfactory computing experience. If you don't need cloud computing, even though it's three generations old, SL is a rock-stable and great OS, that still receives security updates.

Your analogy makes it sound like everyone not about to go from ML to Mavericks, is a luddite.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Yes. You said Android ditches support for old models as soon as new ones come out. As far as I know, Nexus 4 is out since November 2012 and Galaxy Nexus is still getting updated. If you wanted, you could've said "That was such a Samsung/Android mentality 2 years ago"

Until maybe 2 years ago that is EXACTLY what happened with Samsung and Android.

Clearly you didn't

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still, making us wait that long just for an upgrade to an existing OSX.....ppffff. Probably they are not going to release it prior to the 10.9 release.

And I thought 10.8.4 was a slow release.......

----------

Right, and there are also still people traveling horse-back happily as well.....
Yeah, that's a totally relevant analogy...oh, wait, it's actually not.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Believe it or not, some people aren't just sitting around to move to the latest OS as it will be riddled with bugs if its anything like their previous releases.

Enterprises can not just deploy Mavericks as soon as it is out. Legacy software, java, finance systems, vpns and much more all needs to be working and tested. Plus its not easy to deploy to 10,000 macs the first of its release. A lot of users need to be on a stable working version of 10.8 for at least the next 6-12 months at least.

Take the blinkers off. Just because you are going to buy 10.9 the day it comes out it doesn't mean your situation applies to the rest of the world!

No doubt they'll try to push people on Adobe Cloud because so many are saying they'll stick to version 6.

This is one OS I'll not be rushing to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.