Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Pretty soon buggy OS will result in loss of mac users I think. As far as I know windows 7 was quite good on release. Perhaps Windows 8 will be good too. ML better be good if it wants to keep some of its users.

I for one would never switch unless Apple just dissolved or Windows copied 100% os x lol

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Does this finally fix the issue where Lion considers network Time Machine backups corrupt as has to redo the backup? Snow Leopard was really good with network Time Machine backups. Lion has been terrible.

You can fix the corrupted backups with this guide.

This'll let you reuse the backups rather than letting it redo the backups. It works fine for me and while before it was bugging me once every 2-3 days to redo the backup, I did this repair 2 months ago and it hasn't since bug me about redoing it.

Pretty soon buggy OS will result in loss of mac users I think. As far as I know windows 7 was quite good on release. Perhaps Windows 8 will be good too. ML better be good if it wants to keep some of its users.

I for one would never switch unless Apple just dissolved or Windows copied 100% os x lol

Why the heck are they releasing 10.8 so soon after 10.7? Isn't it better to let 10.7 mature a bit, get all the bugs out, and have a nice stable user experience before they dive into the next release?

This sort of rapid release is just going to result in a buggier OS overall, since it'll spend less time in "maintenance" mode... which is when you find most of the subtle bugs.

Mountain Lion is basically the mature version of 10.7, it's an optimized version of Lion with more features on top. Many people have reported faster performance versus Lion, comparable to Snow Leopard now.

Also, the yearly release cycle means they'll be packing less features/changes in each update, giving them enough time to optimize the current set in each update. It's better to do 50 new features/changes and optimize it than to do 250+ changes which is much tougher to fix bugs for and to optimize.

Some might say that the new yearly update would basically mean it is like service pack plus some feature updates for Windows, only Apple'll charge 30$ each year for the service pack. :)

afterthefire

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
the focus is definitely on the wrong things... i remember when it used to be graphics drivers, smb, bug fixes, and performance related things that actually matter and make a difference. osx is sadly turning into a endless circus of cats

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You can fix the corrupted backups with this guide.
I'm well aware of that guide, but this is a workaround and not a long-term fix and eventually people find it happens every few days. Time Machine is supposed to be able to keep backups from a long way back and not need to be redone in full regularly. As the issue affects backups to the TC Apple should have made a proper fix by now. It's clearly a bug with Lion that they should have allocated resources to to fix.

CoreForce

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Still having the WiFi problems as they were introduced in X.7.0. My YouTube video about it describing the issue is a real hit, so I can only assume I'm not alone.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
obviously you havant used windows, also after the beta i havant had any problems with lion...

Obviously you haven't used Lion. From not freeing up RAM properly to WiFi connectivity issues there are ridiculous bugs galore. Hopefully Apple gets it right this time with Mountain Lion.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Development on OS X Lion (10.7.x) is presumably winding down as Apple has already pre-announced the next version of OS X

if this is in fact their mentality, does it concern anyone else?? by moving to a rapid release cycle for paid updates, it feels like they weasel their way out of having to really support the OS people have already paid for. in fact you could argue that its in their interest NOT to fix existing issues in a 10.7.x update so as to drive a sale of 10.8. (which will in turn have its own never-to-be resolved issues to drive people to 10.9... and so on)

its a jaded view, i know, but it does bug me that i'm having to perpetually walk my parents over the phone through things like recycling their airport connection on a new computer that was supposed to "just work", and now potentially having to say "you might have to buy another OS upgrade to fix this problem" :mad:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Did Apple ever come true on their word in terms of providing a fix for the MacBook battery life issues affecting Lion users?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Development on OS X Lion (10.7.x) is presumably winding down as Apple has already pre-announced the next version of OS X.

Surely at just 10.7 (4). This would make it one of the OSX updates with least amount of fixes and support. God what happened to the likes of 10.4(11) with Apple putting plenty of resources to fix its issues and offer support for ages.

Lion is buggy, but I actually like many of its features (still don't see the point in Launchpad however, and full screen apps with dual monitors is pointless/redundant/broken). But certainly it does have echoes of Vista & WinME in its short little lifespan.....

Maybe we all dhould have known when it was only $29 ;-) j/k

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't agree. It's been flawless for me.

Maybe it's just a case that you haven't noticed some of the bugs ;-)

Memory has been an issue for me. I have 20GB memory in my Mac, with 10.5 and 10.6, I never had any page outs. My workload hasn't changed, I'm still doing the same kind of jobs, and yet with 10.7 I have frequently had memory page-outs.

Unless you monitor this kind of thing, it could slip past many users.

Even simple things like watching HTML 5 videos is a stuttery experience, and yet my iPad can play them with a fraction of the hardware.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Right now Snow Leopard 10.6.8 is a dream - and there's nothing in Lion and even Mountain Lion that makes me yearn to upgrade (except perhaps all disk encryption).

I agree, I'm just too lazy to downgrade as my newly bought computer inherently became just a testing machine because of Lion. Maybe I start it up once a week. All serious work is done in SL.

Beware the all disk encryption. I did it and removed it at once again. It is what it is: full encryption. Which means, if you don't sit directly on the computer and type in the password when pushing the power-button, the computer will be unavailable. No server, no conneciton, no nothing.

tallchris

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
lot of melodrama in this thread, comparing Lion to Vista & ME, maybe you should go use them for a week and come back and tell how it was

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Still having some weird bugs since Lion's release.I hope 10.8 fixes them all, even though I probably won't be upgrading to it.

10.6 for life.:cool:

I can't even use Snow Leopard now, Lion is faster in 3D, gestures, mission controls, iCloud are AWESOME.

gemakki

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Netherlands nearby Amsterdam
Imac have still trouble Wifi connections At sleep

I Have an Imac 2008 and i have THE Same trouble Osx Lion
Imac sleep start no wifi most renew DhcP

Also when i start THE Imac it's take alone time to find Wifi

Greetz G

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
lot of melodrama in this thread, comparing Lion to Vista & ME, maybe you should go use them for a week and come back and tell how it was

I've used Windows ME way back when, and now I dual boot my Mac Pro between Vista and Lion, and believe me, Vista is WAY more stable on that computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.