Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Lots of testing for an update that, according to many experts here at MR, will fix nothing but the JB loop hole, lol

8.4 is, seemingly unknown to many, a mess. And it is much more than just the Apple Music mess. Many glitches on the iPad Air 2, especially.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
So many bugs in the new Music app. Hopefully 8.4.1 will fix the scenario where I make a Playlist "Available Offline" but the songs in that place do not show with the "available offline" icon. Right now the music app will let me download the same song more than once. When I check "Manage Storage" I can see the song is there multiple times. They really need better awareness of when a song is already available offline.

The only way it works right now is if you specifically make a song available offline.

I wonder how this was tested- 8.4 was on beta for a very long time and these bugs were not found or became apparent. Looks like people didn't put the entire music collections and give it a real test (I don't blame them).

Devs probably simply launch their apps and make sure they work and call it a day - this type of app would need folks to go all in and trust Apple not to screw up their collections - which is obviously is a tall order.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I'm still on iOS 8.3 and iTunes 12.1.

Until I am confident that my music won't get buggered by Apple Music, I won't update. If any one can say that their metadata hasn't been corrupted or deleted with Apple Music off and iTunes Match on, I'd be pleased.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm still on iOS 8.3 and iTunes 12.1.

Until I am confident that my music won't get buggered by Apple Music, I won't update. If any one can say that their metadata hasn't been corrupted or deleted with Apple Music off and iTunes Match on, I'd be pleased.

Apple Music off, iTunes Match on, and my metadata is perfect.
But then I don't purchase via iTunes and I don't use iTunes to tag my songs.
I learned a while ago that iTunes does a poor job of tagging and I always use a 3rd party program to maintain my metadata.

leftynaut

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Surprised that Apple is still working on iOS8 and not allocating all the resources for iOS9. Maybe this does show that Apple is not happy with 8.4 and still wants to put effort towards iOS 8.

what? they have another month or so until ios9 is released alongside the 6S. they're not going to just leave security issues (jailbreak) open and ignore their current release.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I learned a while ago that iTunes does a poor job of tagging and I always use a 3rd party program to maintain my metadata.

I agree with you 110%. My tags are pristine and wouldn't let iTunes near then with a ten foot pole!

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
There is no point on working on a system that doesnt need to be updated and is going to be obsolete, if Apple was happy with 8.4 then they would leave it alone. Unless they can port over the improvements implemented in the current update to the new OS.

That's a huge "unless." Odds are about 100% they can do that with very little effort.

That said, there's absolutely a cost to this: testing has to be done now, not for iOS 9. And again for iOS 9 if they're being honest and thorough. There's also management costs involved in tracking it. So you're not wrong that it might not happen.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
I wonder how this was tested- 8.4 was on beta for a very long time and these bugs were not found or became apparent. Looks like people didn't put the entire music collections and give it a real test (I don't blame them).
My guess is that the pressure to get Apple Music released was HUGE, so Apple accepted some known flaws in 8.4 knowing that a .1 release (and iOS 9) would follow.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Here's to hoping for the eventual ability to turn off Music completely, returning the music app to its previous state of usually-working glory.

View attachment 572042

I really miss this navigation.

The app is so bad I just can't see how it would make it out to being live. The navigation is confusing, often hidden, very small at times and many of the icons are thin line drawn pics. Pictures of album artwork are the focus on the control screens when it should be the controls that take screen space priority. They derped the music app up good. Just another sad Apple direction. :(

Nhlanhlo

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
Here's to hoping for the eventual ability to turn off Music completely, returning the music app to its previous state of usually-working glory.

View attachment 572042

View attachment 572042

so far I've seen nothing wrong with the app, in ios9. It think it's a great app. And easy to understand. It gives me exactly what I need when I need it.

Reactions: motulist

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Please tell me this update fixes bugs in Apple Music! I really like AM in general, but the terrible bugs have caused me to not use it nearly as much as I otherwise would've.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England

You got my hopes up; but I use iTunes.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Surprised that Apple is still working on iOS8 and not allocating all the resources for iOS9. Maybe this does show that Apple is not happy with 8.4 and still wants to put effort towards iOS 8.

Throwing more bodies at a software release doesn't necessarily improve development time.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
There is no point on working on a system that doesnt need to be updated and is going to be obsolete, if Apple was happy with 8.4 then they would leave it alone. Unless they can port over the improvements implemented in the current update to the new OS.
There is a point if you don't want everyone to be forced to upgrade to get rid of a security bug, and a small bug.
By doing that, they give themselves more time if there are major issues for some people with IOS 9 and those people want to back off.
Funny that your blaming Apple for doing something different than what they're unjustly (since IOS 8) blamed to be doing : forcing an upgrade.

Reactions: djang0

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Considering it may take 6 months to get 80% of people on IOS 9, you want these people who don't switch to suffer? How is that better?

The same could be said for people updating from 8.4 to 8.4.1. If someone's not going to update then they are just not going to update.

Reactions: arefbe

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I've been using the Marvis music app and it's way more than I ever imagined, the dev is very active around here and is constantly updating the app. He's very receptive to feedback as well. If you like to highly customize your music I suggest giving the app a go. I used to use picky before that, haven't used the stock app in probably a year or so.

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
Goodbye Jailbreak? Can we get confirmation from one of the Devs on this?

Ditto. Of course I wouldn't have to worry if I had heard good things about PP jailbreak for Mac (haven't, everybody using PC Taig and having issues), or if Taig would catch up to their own stolen code and release a Mac version of the jailbreak app. I appreciate the work they do, but if it were me, I would be so pissed at PP for stealing, I would release my own Mac version ASAP. At least give me an ETA. Pretty please?

konradsa

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Why do you need to release an OS update to fix flaws in a Music app? Why can't this just be an app in the App Store? *facepalm*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.