Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Not 2GB RAM. 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. But El Cap is pretty much El Crap for me. Only fresh OS runs fast enough.

Oh I see. I'm sorry to hear about the issues.

Any particular high resource usage in Activity Monitor? High swap file/large memory pressure, or large CPU usage? Or is it just generally a bit sluggish with no obvious issues?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, didn't even consider this. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. Found a 525 GB SSD on Crucial for $129. Seems like a no brainer.

Does it really make it feel like a new computer? Thanks.

Thom

Yes, definitely. That and a ram upgrade to 16GB will make a world of difference, both pretty cheap at this point.

Reactions: MacLC

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Wow, didn't even consider this. I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. Found a 525 GB SSD on Crucial for $129. Seems like a no brainer.

Thom
My mom has an "old" 2010 HP laptop running Windows 10. It really does feel like a whole new machine after replacing its HDD with a cheap €60 SanDisk SSD.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Thom

Yes, max out the RAM and you may think you bought a new computer.

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
I think El Capitan is where it ends for my 2010 17" MBP.

This doesn't seem to run all too smoothly for it. Windows 7/10 already runs a lot quicker than El Cap as it is, sadly.

Somewhat ironic that Microsoft still supports even 10 year old Macs with OS software updates, while Apple gave up on them a long time ago ...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
aaaaaand now for the obligatory... is it stable enough for a daily laptop?

I've been running it on my iMac since dev 5. Seems very stable to me. YMMV.
[doublepost=1471954822][/doublepost]

Thom

I put 8GB of RAM and an SSD in a 2008 Aluminum MacBook and an early 2009 Mac Mini. Both run very fast.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Been using it on my RMBP since initial beta—but am just now looking for an excuse not to install it on my workhorse iMac. Very stable, speedy, and since PB5, no problems with any apps I use.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Oh I see. I'm sorry to hear about the issues.

Any particular high resource usage in Activity Monitor? High swap file/large memory pressure, or large CPU usage? Or is it just generally a bit sluggish with no obvious issues?
System overall is a bit sluggish with no obvious issues. I do have Wine installed and some third party drivers. CPU usage shows nothing serious. I do have a few GIgs of swap files though.
For me it will take forever to recover the system, as there are just so many changes. I could not remember all of them.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah, an SSD is the most bang for the buck upgrade for those old machines.

It will feel like a BRAND NEW COMPUTER. It's amazing.
My 2008 MBP (before the unibody) still runs pretty well ever since I threw in an SSD a couple years ago. Tasks requiring processing power are still slow obviously, but opening apps and starting up, etc. is night and day.

Lopezzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Springfield, MO
Still getting graphics corruption in Notification Center on my 2016 rMB. A diagonal glitch appears while scrolling. Been this way the whole beta. Anyone else? Last beta they finally fixed preview so photos appeared properly when zoomed. Before there were giant grey squares and you'd have to zoom in and out for the image to render right.

Yes!! I am too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've tried searching and I couldn't find anyone else who talked about it, so was starting to lean towards maybe the graphics card was flaking out. I'm glad to see someone else having the same issue I am. I also get it in Safari along the tab bar when scrolling on a webpage, but I also get the notification center diagonal glitch too. Hopefully Apple with get this sorted out before the GM.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I've been running Sierra on my 2010 MBP since it was originally available. No problems until the latest update, now my dock is gone. I can only get it to show up briefly when I open the dock setting in system preference. Once I navigate away from the prefs window, the dock disappears never to be seen again.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I have a Mac Mini 2014 connected to my home theater receiver and then to my projector. It has worked flawlessly with El Capitan. I made the mistake of installing the public beta. Now I am not able to make it come up on the projector at all. It does not even recognize it. Basically, HDMI does not appear as a video or audio option. I can see it through VNC (that is the only way I can see it now). If there isn't a fix for it now, I have to rollback to El Capitan. I have a time machine backup. Hopefully I can rollback with it.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Is the "Unlock using Apple Watch" feature supposed to be really random? It only seems to be working if I've been off / away from my MacBook 12-inch for extended periods of time. If the screen locks (takes five minutes on battery, fifteen minutes on power) it seems to never auto-unlock using my Apple Watch.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I opened it and downloaded a file but if I open this file it just load the App Store without downloading any DWG :(

Giving you the links from the beta catalog, so mods I hope I am not breaking anybody's rules, Apple's or yours.

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...4zfn8unmoipf5nxjulo/OSXUpd10.12PublicBeta.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...wkjfjfc4zfn8unmoipf5nxjulo/FirmwareUpdate.pkg

Download the firmware first and run it, then the Public Beta PKG.

Thanks !

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
I hope Siri can be disabled. I don't want to talk to my computer and I don't want it listening. While some may find this convenient, it seems to me that it could be riddled with privacy issues.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Why is Apple not giving out a changelog or at least hints as to what we should focus our testing on? Or am i being blind again?

What kind of ridiculous beta testing is this if i am not sure what to test?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.