Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Maybe the slow display of folder contents in Finder, random brief beachballs, and general instability with app crashes will be addressed in this update. But I have a feeling that will start to be sorted in 10.9.4 or so.
Is it a delay of 20-21 seconds when displaying folder contents? (I think this mainly occurs in Open/Save dialogs, but maybe in Finder too.) If so, see here.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I completely agree with you here, but about all MBPs have been suffering from lag issues ever since 10.7 at least and Apple never fixed it.

Although Mac OS X improved a lot between 10.0 and 10.6, dropped a lot in 10.7...

This might answer your question.

1. Bertrand Serlet
S.V.P. OS X Engineering
10.4-10.6

2. Craig Federighi
S.V.P. OS X Engineering
10.7-10.9

I applaud 10.9 for [finally] addressing SMB2, multiple displays, OpenGL 4.0+, memory management, and other power user related issues developers have filed since 10.7, it is still a far cry from the OS X installments under Bertrand Serlet. Couple this with iOS engineering focus and Apple's increasing insistence on moving engineers off OS X to iOS development instead of actually hiring more capable engineers, and you might see a pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_8379-L.jpg
    IMG_8379-L.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 88
  • craig_federighi_apple_vp_os_x_software.jpg
    craig_federighi_apple_vp_os_x_software.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 119

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
True, my Macbook has been suffering from lag issues in various situations.

In Mavericks, just after a couple of days the Mac is on (either being used or sleeping), the changing spaces and mission control animations get jerky to the point where I have to restart the computer. I'm using MBP mid-2010 13".

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Well so far on my Unibody 2009 this has to be the most stable and fluid version of OS X I've used since 10.6.3.

Quite happy now, looking forward to GM.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Airmail app solves this problem ;)

But that's what that postage stamp thingy sitting in my Dock is for. No need to pay for something that's not working and is part of the core OS. :p

If Apple can make a super duper mail client for the iPad why can't they get the OS X Mail App working without the need to buy an App?

Last edited:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
But that's what that postage stamp thingy sitting in my Dock is for. No need to pay for something that's not working and is part of the core OS. :p

If Apple can make a super duper mail client for the iPad why can't they get the OS X Mail App working without the need to buy an App?

When you look at rival e-mail clients, you realise how basic the native one is. I still use the native client as my primary as I use Gmail, but I do have an Outlook.com account and I never got it to work properly with the Mail app.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
When you look at rival e-mail clients, you realise how basic the native one is. I still use the native client as my primary as I use Gmail, but I do have an Outlook.com account and I never got it to work properly with the Mail app.

Neither have I and what's baffling is how sublime the iOS version is. At least I have Mac Outlook to handle my Hotmail accounts but it would be nice if Apple cleaned up and fixed the built in Mail app.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Is it a delay of 20-21 seconds when displaying folder contents? (I think this mainly occurs in Open/Save dialogs, but maybe in Finder too.) If so, see here.

I guess I just have the slow Finder problem, but on multiple machines, all of which have fresh installs of 10.9.1. Thanks for the link; there is a link in that link to a possible fix. Hopefully Apple fixes all Finder related slowdowns soon.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Neither have I and what's baffling is how sublime the iOS version is. At least I have Mac Outlook to handle my Hotmail accounts but it would be nice if Apple cleaned up and fixed the built in Mail app.

iOS uses Exchange which is perfect, with OS X users are forced to try and configure Hotmail/Outlook manually (IMAP). Apple & Microsoft do not make it easy.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
I guess I just have the slow Finder problem, but on multiple machines, all of which have fresh installs of 10.9.1. Thanks for the link; there is a link in that link to a possible fix. Hopefully Apple fixes all Finder related slowdowns soon.
Assuming your problem has the same cause, the simplest fix is to switch to DNS servers that don't hijack (which is a good idea anyway). I mentioned Google Public DNS, but if you're using your ISP's DNS servers and want to continue doing so, they may have a way to opt out of their "domain helper" (or whatever they call it). I think some ISPs' opt-outs work only for HTTP, though, which won't help with this problem.

To verify if you're experiencing the problem I mentioned, ping backups.backupdb and post the result.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
what else then?

Lots of things, particularly bug fixes. Most OSX point updates are only bug fixes, no new features at all.

Every beta release, someone looks at the release notes and assumes that absolutely nothing is fixed beyond what is listed there.

I don't normally follow these threads but do Apple always release this many betas?

Sometimes. People like to obsess over whether a particular update is too many betas or not enough betas, but there's not much to read into it beyond they ship it when they think it's ready to ship.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
True, my Macbook has been suffering from lag issues in various situations.

In Mavericks, just after a couple of days the Mac is on (either being used or sleeping), the changing spaces and mission control animations get jerky to the point where I have to restart the computer. I'm using MBP mid-2010 13".

I have a MacBook Pro early 2011 - it has been awful with lag in 10.9 betas. The GM was okay, but still lots of lag. The newest beta is working much better for me (not sure if its the beta or the 16g of RAM I just installed - had 4).

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Lots of things, particularly bug fixes. Most OSX point updates are only bug fixes, no new features at all.

Every beta release, someone looks at the release notes and assumes that absolutely nothing is fixed beyond what is listed there.

Sometimes. People like to obsess over whether a particular update is too many betas or not enough betas, but there's not much to read into it beyond they ship it when they think it's ready to ship.

ah ok. So 10.10 would be new features but 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 would just be bug fixes?

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Every beta release, someone looks at the release notes and assumes that absolutely nothing is fixed beyond what is listed there....

Doh ! I know its not Apples style but surely the whole point of a release note is to tell you what they think has been fixed. A good one would even tell you whats not been fixed.

Last edited:

ChillEChill

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
I have a MacBook Pro early 2011 - it has been awful with lag in 10.9 betas. The GM was okay, but still lots of lag. The newest beta is working much better for me (not sure if its the beta or the 16g of RAM I just installed - had 4).

I had 4 gbs of RAM installed on my 2012 MBP, and it was crawling on Maverick. The difference I have seen since installing 16gbs is night and day. I still see a lot of beach balls though, although they only last a few seconds oppose to minutes now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.