Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
I agree ^. Apple's bug squashing has become a joke with iOS and I'm starting to think that Scott Forstall leaving was the beginning of the worst of it.

Apple just seems to be missing a mark. To me, the shortcoming that they have right now is in the lack of quality control. The good part is that this is something that could easily be corrected. It's just that they don't seem to care at this point.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
speed as well with overall Safari performance.
So for once, Safari actually is snappier? Refreshing to say it for real.

Is Apple Watch essentially dependent on iPhone for most heavy lifting and internet? I guess that leaves out iPod Touch unless in wifi range.

Forstall was gruff like Jobs, having worked with him since NeXT. But that obsessive behavior brought us shewomorphic and a bulletproof iOS in several versions. I still run 6 on my iPhone 4S with no glitches!

Cook is certainly not gruff.

brywalker

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I havent jumped on the betas yet. Anyone can tell me about battery life? After 8.0 it has been horrific and I don't want to jump into the betas if its even worse than released builds.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Well with betas, things change and get altered more than production code. If you are a developer (you should be if you are installing betas) you should understand why betas are fundamentally different than production software.

**** it, test it in production.

I'm not running the beta right now, nor was I referring to the beta when I mentioned the reboots. I'm talking about reboots when entering multitasking at times on 8.1.2

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
But that obsessive behavior brought us shewomorphic...

Geez, I just purchased a couple of mag subscriptions, this morning, and THAT Newsstand App has to be the ugliest app I've ever seen/used.

Glad the iBooks App is still stand alone with that beautiful skeuomorphism iOS 6 bookcase.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So for once, Safari actually is snappier? Refreshing to say it for real.

Is Apple Watch essentially dependent on iPhone for most heavy lifting and internet? I guess that leaves out iPod Touch unless in wifi range.

Forstall was gruff like Jobs, having worked with him since NeXT. But that obsessive behavior brought us shewomorphic and a bulletproof iOS in several versions. I still run 6 on my iPhone 4S with no glitches!

Cook is certainly not gruff.

Not to excuse bugs and Apple does have a lot of work to do there, but I'll take some of this instability in order to get things like control center, NC widgets, continuity, extensions, 3rd party keyboards, etc. Had Cook not shaken things up how much of this stuff would we have seen?

----------

Geez, I just purchased a couple of mag subscriptions, this morning, and THAT Newsstand App has to be the ugliest app I've ever seen/used.

Glad the iBooks App is still stand alone with that beautiful skeuomorphism iOS 6 bookcase.

So Scott does lurk here. :)

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Not to excuse bugs and Apple does have a lot of work to do there, but I'll take some of this instability in order to get things like control center, NC widgets, continuity, extensions, 3rd party keyboards, etc. Had Cook not shaken things up how much of this stuff would we have seen?

I'd take stability and a clean, polished, optimized iOS over new features any day. But that's just me. Maybe I want different things from my devices.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Deleting Messages with Yosemite

Does anyone know how to delete chats in Messages with Yosemite other than clicking and deleting one at a time? In iOS8 there is an edit option which allows multiple selection and one time delete. It can be very time consuming with Yosemite.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'd take stability and a clean, polished, optimized iOS over new features any day. But that's just me. Maybe I want different things from my devices.

Ok but it's not like iOS pre iOS 7 didn't have bugs. iOS 6 had plenty, including a crappy maps app. Every version did. Again I'm not excusing some of these bugs (I'm experiencing many of them). But none of the bugs are bad enough to make me want to go back to iOS 6 and give up new features.

LeoNatan

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
Does anyone know how to delete chats in Messages with Yosemite other than clicking and deleting one at a time? In iOS8 there is an edit option which allows multiple selection and one time delete. It can be very time consuming with Yosemite.
Open a bug report/feature request with :apple:.

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Is the Dynamic Wallpaper bug fixed?
It appears they adjusted it somewhat but it still restarts when minimizing down from a full screen app, it's just not as jarring as it was before.

Haven't had it restart when I'm in the multitasking view and then press the home button.

iOSBry

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
That's what I've noticed recently. Apple's quality control has definitely declined since about last year. So many small bugs and sloppiness that take away from the overall experience.

I must agree. Unfortunately it may be as simple as being understaffed and resting on their laurels of the past. We know they're more than capable.

Trusting Apple was once a certainty, you knew they were on top of things and making a serious effort. It showed in their work. And while never perfect, excellent it was and that's certainly a good result.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
I must agree. Unfortunately it may be as simple as being understaffed and resting on their laurels of the past. We know they're more than capable.

Trusting Apple was once a certainty, you knew they were on top of things and making a serious effort. It showed in their work. And while never perfect, excellent it was and that's certainly a good result.

One of the largest and most successful companies in the world is understaffed...oh the irony. Besides that though, I think it may be a matter of finding a much better Chief Executive quality control officer. I think I saw a report after 8.0.1 that the person in that position isn't very good at his job.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Not here.

All the times it's happened to me, this has been the sequence of events: I've entered multitasking from within an app, scrolled a bit through the open apps, and gone back to the home screen and then entered multitasking again quickly.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This 8.2 is going to be more on par with last years "7.1". This years 8.1 was basically like a 8.0.3. Can't wait to see all the features of iOS 8 without any major glitches/problems. That's when we will love it! For now it's not there yet.

And right when it gets there people will start complaining about iOS 9 beta battery life and bugs and resprings. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.