Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentx

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Yep. Should have just bought the lottery ticket.

At some point, Apple is just going to have to admit that OS X doesn't actually support SMB.

As someone that has to support Mac in SMB it is one of the most annoying things about OS X.
Apple clearly think File servers are old hat and everything should/is/will be cloud based. This of course is total BS. We have lots of servers Mac/Linux/Windows/NAS etc all acting as File servers. With every iteration of OS X or even dot release you need a different client side or server side fix. Its a constant battle to keep it all working and throw in Adobe/MS apps in the mix and you pretty much have daily fubars.

Last edited:
Reactions: inkswamp

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
As someone that has to support Mac in SMB it is one of the most annoying things about OS X. Apple clearly think File servers are old hat and everything should/is/will be cloud based. This of course is total BS. We have lots of servers Mac/Linux/Windows/NAS etc all acting as File servers. With every iteration of OS X or even dot release you need a different client side or server side fix. Its a constant battle to keep it all working and throw in Adobe/MS apps in the mix and you pretty much have daily fubars.

I hear you. I'm in the same boat. I support Macs too and if your theory is right, that Apple is ignoring SMB because everything is moving to the Cloud (something I think has been vastly overhyped in the previous years and is failing to pan out for the most part) then it's an uncharacteristically shortsighted position for them. Even with some things moving to the Could, there will still be a need for solid SMB support for at least another decade. And in some cases, "the Cloud" will be a file server internal to a company (i.e., sites accessing their files hosted at a company-hosted off-site data center) so that hardly justifies ignoring basic file access protocols.

Not sure what they're thinking but this is, by far, the worst OS X problem I've ever dealt with. SMB is just a disaster.

Reactions: ScooterComputer

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
So it's not limited to the new imacs. . .
No, it certainly isn't limited to iMacs. My 2009 Mac Pro and 2011 MBP both are completely unusable with the 3rd 10.11.2 beta. USB and firewire drives won't mount when connected, sometimes they won't 'eject' either. On the Mac Pro, Disk Warrior refuses to work properly on a PCIe drive (booting from an SATA 2 HD in a regular drive bay). All of these problems are resolved by going back to 10.11.1, thanks to Mr. Bombich at Carbon Copy Cloner!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
No, it certainly isn't limited to iMacs. My 2009 Mac Pro and 2011 MBP both are completely unusable with the 3rd 10.11.2 beta. USB and firewire drives won't mount when connected, sometimes they won't 'eject' either. On the Mac Pro, Disk Warrior refuses to work properly on a PCIe drive (booting from an SATA 2 HD in a regular drive bay). All of these problems are resolved by going back to 10.11.1, thanks to Mr. Bombich at Carbon Copy Cloner!
How can they not know about this? I'm utterly baffled by this...... 3 betas in and still this... usb issues at almost 2016??? wtf?

Last edited:

pietro333

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
After this I cannot see the "send" button in Thunderbird or Outlook mac 2016. Anybody else noticed this? It was alright until 10.11.1

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Cltr-K from Finder is the best way, but it's still not stable and normally disappears after a reboot (even after adding the drive/location in User Login Settings in Prefs)
I've sent log to Synology support and they accessed the remote access of my NAS with no joy. We'll be on Teamviewer on monday to try and fix, but I guess it will be try and see there's an issue-with-the-OS-we-cant-solve-but-pray-Apple-will.

Reactions: 6836838

theeaglehasland

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
On certain configurations with 10.11.2 beta 1 and maybe beta 2, on an imac 3 of the 4 usb ports would cut out randomly, run at usb 2 speeds and then only one port would work for flash drives or external hard drives. It was unusable. Soon as cloned back to 10.11.1 it was back to normal. So one of the things to focus on according to the release notes of beta 3 was "USB", so maybe they figured it out. I afraid to try it after that last experience.

theeaglehasland

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Only the USB port nearest the Thunderbolt post works with USB 3 external hard drives. Which port was working on yours?

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I've sent log to Synology support and they accessed the remote access of my NAS with no joy. We'll be on Teamviewer on monday to try and fix, but I guess it will be try and see there's an issue-with-the-OS-we-cant-solve-but-pray-Apple-will.
Any luck?

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
No luck so far, they tried a lot of things I had already tried. They seemed to have found a workout using SMB instead of AFP, but it finally it proved not to work either, so i told them, and they ll look into it again.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
No luck so far, they tried a lot of things I had already tried. They seemed to have found a workout using SMB instead of AFP, but it finally it proved not to work either, so i told them, and they ll look into it again.
Any luck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.