Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

watchos2.jpg
Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming watchOS 2.2 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the third watchOS 2.2 beta and more than two months after releasing watchOS 2.1, the first major update to the watchOS 2 operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 2.2 has been in testing since January 11.

The fourth watchOS 2.2 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on an iPhone running the iOS 9.3 beta by going to General --> Software update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the Apple Watch charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 2.2, along with iOS 9.3, introduces support for pairing multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. Both updates are required, with each watch running watchOS 2.2 and each iPhone running iOS 9.3. watchOS 2.2 also includes a revamped look for the built-in Maps app on the Apple Watch with access to the Nearby feature first introduced with iOS 9 and new buttons for quickly accessing directions to home and work.

There were no other obvious outward-facing changes introduced in the first three watchOS 2.2 betas aside from the changes to the Maps app, but the update undoubtedly includes under-the-hood performance updates and bug fixes to address issues that have been discovered since the release of watchOS 2.1. WatchOS 2.2 is expected to debut in the spring, perhaps at Apple's rumored March event.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of WatchOS 2.2 to Developers

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Software magic me some battery life!
How much do you run apps on yours? I use mine all day - albeit mostly as a timepiece and weather checker - checking notifications, and go to bed with over 65-70% nightly. Even started using HeartWatch overnight for 7-8hrs and still wake up toabout 60%. Charges back to 100% in about 25 min. Definitely a huge improvements over one of the earlier watchOS builds, I forget which one

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I may have been trolled, but I heard the watch takes HR readings every five minutes on 2.2 beta. Can anyone confirm?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
And let me update without the charger! Watch has been on my wrist for 7 hours... battery is at 90%..... come on... let me update!

I think it's because of the small battery inside that Apple know's it will drain to 0% quick.

simbo123

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2013
I may have been trolled, but I heard the watch takes HR readings every five minutes on 2.2 beta. Can anyone confirm?
Yep Im finding this. Along as it continues its very good news for me. Makes graphs in Heart Analyzer look dead accurate

Reactions: bse3

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I want the opposite pairing option. I have both a personal and work iPhone. I can't be the only one. I want to pair both to my watch. Why not?

Reactions: playaproved

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I want the opposite pairing option. I have both a personal and work iPhone. I can't be the only one. I want to pair both to my watch. Why not?
This functionality would be great. The only concern is maybe since the watch can only handle two Bluetooth connections at once, you wouldn't be able to pair headphones and two phones at once.

Wouldn't be a problem for me, as I use a phone for music unless I'm exercising, but Apple probably feels it would be too confusing for people.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
How much do you run apps on yours? I use mine all day - albeit mostly as a timepiece and weather checker - checking notifications, and go to bed with over 65-70% nightly. Even started using HeartWatch overnight for 7-8hrs and still wake up toabout 60%. Charges back to 100% in about 25 min. Definitely a huge improvements over one of the earlier watchOS builds, I forget which one

Mine changes through out the week with different use and I'm definitely not on all day, i've turned off most notifications and sometimes still get down to 10% or have to switch the watch off

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Mine changes through out the week with different use and I'm definitely not on all day, i've turned off most notifications and sometimes still get down to 10% or have to switch the watch off

There must be something that uses A LOT of power to get to that. Running for hours? Listening to music for hours? Using non native apps for hours? What?
Your experience is way different than anyone I know with the watch; it's not even close.
If you have the 42mm it makes even less sense.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
There must be something that uses A LOT of power to get to that. Running for hours? Listening to music for hours? Using non native apps for hours? What?
Your experience is way different than anyone I know with the watch; it's not even close.
If you have the 42mm it makes even less sense.

yes i have the 42mm, i'm not using native only apps (what would be the point of that), it would be great if there were a breakdown of apps and what uses the battery/drains the battery. today its 4:52PM and i'm on 65% so go figure

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Why are they not giving us more watch faces? I'm already bored of every watch face with every color combination

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Why are they not giving us more watch faces? I'm already bored of every watch face with every color combination
They might just put the new faces in the final build and wait for the March event to unveil them, along with the official release of 2.2 and the new Watch bands. Just a thought ;)

Last edited:

franciscosjb

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Mexico City - Kobol
Im not happy with my apple watch, been hoping for continuously updates, watch faces and more reasons to think that I did not purchase this merely for exercise, feels old now, im not impressed with the updates so far.

We need more functions, they probably will add more on a new apple watch, which im not gonna buy.... after almost a year with my watch, I can say it's definitely NOT worth it.

Reactions: ekwipt

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I agree, i t would have to come up with some pretty new and far out features, personally i'd wait until wifi and cheap 4G plan (some how, doubt it especially in Australia)

JoshuaPlays

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2015
They might just put the new faces in the final build and wait for the March event to unveil them, along with the official release of 2.2 and the new Watch bands. Just a thought ;)

Agreed... The newer band colors weren't added to watchOS 2 beta until the after the September keynote with the GM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.