Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Football Dad

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
This ad is patently false!!!!! Renewables generate 40% of the time, at best. The other 60 % of the time one must rely on nuclear, coal and gas. I suspect Apple tries to claim its over-generation of renewables. This would go into the grid and be used by others. It cannot be "banked" and Apple does not have enough battery storage to make this claim. This makes me think if they are lying about this, what else are they lying about.

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Were you trying to make a point, or just rambling on about a whole lot of nonsense? His point is, Apple makes computers that aren't upgradeable. Forcing you to buy a new one. That is bad for the environment.

As long as you can recycle most part of the computer forcing to buy a new one is bad for your wallet but not so bad for the environment. There is a cost for the environment even when you create the new product, but at least you reduce the amount of wasted material in the landfill.
It is a shame they soldered the RAM on the Mini and on the 21 iMac, but they have no choice in their laptop since they're so thin.
The only thing they can do with macs to help the environment is to recycle as much as they can, and that's why I'd like to be able to replace the logic board on a rMBP or on a Macbook

autoshot

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
does anyone know what song is playing in the background? Soundhound says "Ophelia" from "The Lumineers" but that's not it I think...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is based on the 1972 "limits to growth" study :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

It is the "standard run" of the study model, and recent studies have shown that we did indeed follow this trajectory very closely :
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/looking-back-on-the-limits-of-growth-125269840/?no-ist
So far the trajectory mostly simply followed the path it was on before, as opposed to the fairly radical change that is "supposed" to happen in the not so distant future based on that model.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
When Apple uses renewable energy it encourages other corporates to do so and kills any excuses they have. If total world corporates use only 10% renewable energy, thats progress.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This ad is patently false!!!!! Renewables generate 40% of the time, at best. The other 60 % of the time one must rely on nuclear, coal and gas. I suspect Apple tries to claim its over-generation of renewables. This would go into the grid and be used by others. It cannot be "banked" and Apple does not have enough battery storage to make this claim. This makes me think if they are lying about this, what else are they lying about.
The most valuable company in the world blatantly lying? That seems plausible to you?

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Hmmm… why would Deaths skyrocket like that in the coming decades? Unless, the New World Government plans to kill our children and grandchildren in order to make Soylent Green?

Basically because of banal reasons : lack of fuel, lack of food, lack of medicine, lack of services, etc, but note that the births grow as well.

cgillespie7060

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2016
All this recent "green" propaganda is Apple simply laying the public relations groundwork for their future electric car.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
What a fun ad. As you'd expect, the production quality is many orders of magnitude above those of most other companies. Gorgeous.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
What a fun ad. As you'd expect, the production quality is many orders of magnitude above those of most other companies. Gorgeous.

Agree on the quality of the ad and its "green" message.

But it misses to convey the value of iMessaging to our family.

This is Why?:
I am deeply hearing impaired, and simply cannot use the phone.

Of course emails work, but iMessaging is our lifeline as she now is traveling overseas to care for her ailing mother who has been diagnosed with stage-four cancer -- this means an absence of four months.

iMessage is our bridge, and provides to us the only way to communicate and exchange thoughts in not-so-realtime, as the changing moods allow anytime, anywhere.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

actinide

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2016
Marketing, marketing, marketing etc... Individuals who believe this is truly about the earth, are just blatant ignorant.
As an engineer, I have visited numerous site: petrochemicals, datacenters, pharmaceuticals, etc. All of whom use green energy to operate their activities. Why you say: well we have two reasons for that, (1) they save money on their electrical bills, and (2) they get a compensation for every ampere that they generate and distribute with the main net of one of the many energy corporation. Moreover, many who started a green energy project are subsided by the government.

A big petrochemical company where i used to work, uses green energy (solar and wind) to operate most of its activities. Hell yeah they are green.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Marketing, marketing, marketing etc... Individuals who believe this is truly about the earth, are just blatant ignorant.
As an engineer, I have visited numerous site: petrochemicals, datacenters, pharmaceuticals, etc. All of whom use green energy to operate their activities. Why you say: well we have two reasons for that, (1) they save money on their electrical bills, and (2) they get a compensation for every ampere that they generate and distribute with the main net of one of the many energy corporation. Moreover, many who started a green energy project are subsided by the government.

A big petrochemical company where i used to work, uses green energy (solar and wind) to operate most of its activities. Hell yeah they are green.
So what are you saying, doing nothing is better than doing something?

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
That it's soemewhat easy to predict and and then more likely to be right when the trajectory more or less remains the same, but petty hard to say that most of it will drastically change when it comes to the future that no one knows anything about.

Clearly the model can be considered valid until "the messing point" is reached, and basically it is what Dennis Meadows is saying these days btw, however this doesn't clear up the fact that we indeed are around the messing point right now

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Remember, iMessages have End-To-End encryption. They're more secure than the SMS/MMS messages that go through your carrier's data centers between your device and the person with whom you are communicating.

So wait, when I send a text on an iphone, its not actually an SMS going to the carrier and then to the other phone? Is there a way to send a pure SMS on an iphone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So wait, when I send a text on an iphone, its not actually an SMS going to the carrier and then to the other phone? Is there a way to send a pure SMS on an iphone?
Disable iMessage (or don't enable it to begin with).

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
It's interesting/convenient how pretty much everything is almost suddenly set to drastically change essentially right now.

The above is based on thorough data, now you can ignore it, doesn't change it much though ..
And checking the current oil production curve for instance, is quite telling

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The above is based on thorough data, now you can ignore it, doesn't change it much though ..
And checking the current oil production curve for instance, is quite telling
Well, as far as the future goes, the only real data is something that is yet to exist.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, one can still take into account the finite earth hypothesis seriously, however.
Even the earlier study which was based on defined variables and human set simulation parameters still came up with different results from things not working out to things being stabilized.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Even the earlier study which was based on defined variables and human set simulation parameters still came up with different results from things not working out to things being stabilized.

What ? What is really strange is that what would be considered as banalities in other contexts, is taken away for a very precise one, that is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.