Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickTuesday

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Is that Rosanna Arquette in the ad?

Ad is pretty good, demonstrating that Siri can be used for something serious and also be used for something fun.

Last edited:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
When ad agencies use well-known actors it always feels to me like a crutch for an idea or copy that's just not "insanely great". It's a pretty good ad. Not great, but good. We've seen much worse from Apple in the past few years, so I'm glad to see them on good creative footing again.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If only that was the reality! After using it for 2 years, Siri still doesn't understand what I'm saying half the time. Can't they make it so it learns and adapts over time as it gets to know your voice? I guess not.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I hated that ad. Who would want to kiss that ugly cow anyway? She should pay him to kiss her. :eek:

Reactions: AleXXXa

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
When ad agencies use well-known actors it always feels to me like a crutch for an idea or copy that's just not "insanely great". It's a pretty good ad. Not great, but good. We've seen much worse from Apple in the past few years, so I'm glad to see them on good creative footing again.

Everything in TV advertising depends on "crutches" or shorthand of some sort. Cliches and stereotypes tend to be embraced. Back when I was doing that sort of thing, I used to say, "I work on 30-second and 60-second feature films" (20s and 15s were not yet sold by the networks). They often communicate more in those time spans than a feature filmmaker manages in the typical 2.5 minute scene.

Using well-known performers (and the association with their characters/music/trusted reputations/current events, etc.) may eliminate precious seconds of exposition. They may grab our attention in ways unfamiliar faces would not... Consider Cookie Monster. We know his character, which makes it faster and easier to setup the joke. We have affection for and trust of the character that goes back to our childhoods - we pay attention because we expect to be well-entertained. We trust Cookie, therefore we trust Apple. What anonymous sock puppet could accomplish what Cookie did, in the time allotted?

Considering what celebrities cost, believe me, there's plenty of "Is this cost necessary" discussion that goes on when the spot is in development. Still, there are times celebrities are nothing more than window dressing. I was involved in more than a few vanity projects, where the client or ad agency may have been more interested in rubbing elbows on the set than whether the spot would succeed. Famous or not, talent may be used to great purpose, or wasted. There are no hard-and-fast rules.

In the end, all that matters is the efficacy of the ad. The goal is not high art or entertainment, it's selling product. It's just really sweet when high art does manage to sell a lot of product!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
It's cute and fun, but it's too long and doesn't get to the point fast enough.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Cute ad but I really liked the cookie monster ad more.

Cookie Monster could probably sell me the Brooklyn Bridge. I must have watched that ad four times and was ready to plunk down the dough (heh) for an iPhone 6s even though I was adamant about waiting for the SE. Close call. Apple's very very good at this stuff.

Agreed. Both very well done. This could be a revival of sort......... :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.