Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meemoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Sugar Land TX
Though have the options in preferences so it isn't bloated..
..It would just sorta be there, hell they could even add an option for plugins. That would be totally rad :cool:
Though I never use Yahoo =\

ltgator333

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
Albion, MI
From what I understand this won't happen because- MSN is made by m$ so of course the protocal that MSN Messenger uses is proprietory, and Yahoo is the same way. Allthough there are third party clients for these chat protocals out there, I know of at least Yahoo doing what they can to make sure 3rd party clients don't work with the server, and that is probably about the same thing that MSN does (it sounds like a very m$ thing to do..).

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
ltgator333 said:
From what I understand this won't happen because- MSN is made by m$ so of course the protocal that MSN Messenger uses is proprietory, and Yahoo is the same way. Allthough there are third party clients for these chat protocals out there, I know of at least Yahoo doing what they can to make sure 3rd party clients don't work with the server, and that is probably about the same thing that MSN does (it sounds like a very m$ thing to do..).

MSN actually works to block third party clients, that's why Fire breaks all the time. I do not really WANT Yahoo and MSN rolled into iChat but i do want...

1. iChat to get some new AIM features (like being invisible) from the Windows Client.
2. Yahoo to get their freaking Mac Version up to the same level as the Windows version. I hate not being able to use Common Names for my buddies. I also want the freaking CHAT option, it's Java for goodness sake.

I am sick of companies that big doing nothing for their Mac Users! It's not that hard.

sorry...rant ends here...

macboyX

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
How about Apple gets the away messages to actually work properly. I'd rather they do that before they integrate other services.

ltgator333

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
Albion, MI
I agree

I don't use AIM much, but when I have used iChat before compared to the newest AOL AIM client I can't say, other than the interface, that I was much impressed with the features.
As for MSN actively working to block 3rd party clients.. yeah that is just standard practice with the whole m$ thing.. our way or no way at all.
And then there's yahoo....
Don't get me wrong, my yahoo email addy is my most used, I like yahoo- BUT in some ways YM for UNIX-like machines is better than Mac YM. I think this is bad because if you ask yahoo why the windoze version has more features they'll prob tell you well more people use windoze, and I'm sure less HOME USERS use BSD/Linux than Mac, and yet it has more features. But don't get me wrong, I'm glad that yahoo makes YM for UNIX flavors, being I run FreeBSD and SuSe on my PC... but at the same time I've not seen YM for Mac drasticly improve since it came out.. it's still basicly written for OS 8.6, and doesn't perform paticularly well considering how simple it really is. As for features YM for Mac is about as basic as it gets, which for me is unfortunate bigtime considering the amount of chat buddies I have on YM, and considering any other Mac user out there that may want to use YM.
In closing of this rant, Apple I think will get it together, they're not much for making software that isn't 'useable'. The Mac faithful will always see a lackluster MSN messenger I'm afraid, and if Yahoo doesn't kick it in gear the same is true with YM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.